Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 30 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 13:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Street Performers: "We ask people to give us a dollar for taking our picture"

Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 02, 2008 11:41 |  #121

photoguy6405 wrote in post #5447309 (external link)
Part of me wonders, though, who in their right mind realistically expects that they can dress up and act out-of-the-ordinary in public, and that people aren't going to want to take pictures of them?

The ones in the Quarter DEPEND on it to get the money from squirmish tourist, the ones in the clubs don't want their mom to see proof that they dance on a box in undies for a living:)

~Kat
Gear: continually growing and changing!!!!
http://kittygraphix.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/749345 (external link) http://myspace.com/kit​tygraphix (external link) ittygraphix@yahoo.com (external link)

sponsored links
flipstyle72
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 02, 2008 11:45 |  #122
bannedPermanent ban

Kittygraphix wrote in post #5447344 (external link)
The ones in the Quarter DEPEND on it to get the money from squirmish tourist, the ones in the clubs don't want their mom to see proof that they dance on a box in undies for a living:)

that was my thoughts about it as well. :lol:

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,023 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

May 02, 2008 11:50 |  #123

Seeing as we have no theater for ballet, where ELSE could our sweet darling be earning a living as a dancer?

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 02, 2008 11:58 |  #124

Kittygraphix wrote in post #5447344 (external link)

Obviously. The point was more geared toward those who don't want their picture taken at all.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 02, 2008 12:12 |  #125

photoguy6405 wrote in post #5447467 (external link)
Obviously. The point was more geared toward those who don't want their picture taken at all.

Tis why I put in two statements, not one.

I'm sure different people have different reasons as to why they don't want their picture taken. Something that is unual looking to one person may be a normal everyday thing to another.
I get stopped all the time while I'm in the quarter for people to take pictures with me or of me (I'm guessing because of my tattoos and that I'm female) I usually oblige but if I'm in a hurry going somewhere I just ignore them or say "not now, I'm in a rush".
There was only really one time that I was outwardly and intentionally rude to the person and it was because they interrupted me while I was doing a photo shoot on the riverwalk and they started using their P&S flashes at me WHILE I WAS SHOOTING! Infuriated me and I clicked:evil: then again I was probably PMS'ing at the time too, so they were dead in the water either way:)

~Kat
Gear: continually growing and changing!!!!
http://kittygraphix.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/749345 (external link) http://myspace.com/kit​tygraphix (external link) ittygraphix@yahoo.com (external link)

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 02, 2008 12:36 |  #126

BillsBayou wrote in post #5447415 (external link)
Seeing as we have no theater for ballet, where ELSE could our sweet darling be earning a living as a dancer?

Surely you jest. :) One hint though, you have to check your camera at the door. Naturally, I have no first hand knowledge of these places.;)

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,023 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

May 02, 2008 12:55 |  #127

breal101 wrote in post #5447666 (external link)
Surely you jest. :) One hint though, you have to check your camera at the door. Naturally, I have no first hand knowledge of these places.;)

"Poppa, Donna's been laundering some odd looking undergarments. Not much more than strings, really, and yesterday I found $237 in her dance bag. All of it in ones."

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

May 02, 2008 13:43 |  #128

Kittygraphix wrote in post #5435372 (external link)
I think this is a New Orleans thing:) You handled it appropriately, most tourists don't want to cause trouble so they will throw them a dollar and that's EXACTLY what the street performers want. It's how they eat. I've seen them almost chase people for a fargin buck

It's definately a New Orleans thing. Feel free to give or withhold as you see fit.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

txduggan
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 03, 2008 15:02 |  #129

BillsBayou wrote in post #5435402 (external link)
At what point does the demand for money cross over into a felony? I'm thinking that at some point, you can tell them "I'm officially frightened by you. Are you mugging me?"

Even if they put a sign in front of them which reads "All Photos $1 Each" they have no claim to my money. As it is public property, payment by others does not take away my right to take photos for free.

Granted, I pick my fights. There's a guy on Bourbon Street who looks like a construction worker climing a tilted ladder and carrying a piece of lumber on his shoulder. He's one of those "Living Statue" people who think that by standing still they are deserving of our cash. That piece of 2x4 is keeping me from taking his picture :)

100-400 on a 1D body with a 2x TC :shock:

I've been to 2 native american indian powwows and BOTH times the performers walking around the grounds (not theirs; 2 different state parks) demanded $$$ when I brought the camera up to my eye to take photos...and they weren't messing with me as I saw/heard them do it to other 'togs with DSLRs as well....they left the P&S'rs alone.

What? We made of money? ? ? ;)

Tom D

p.s. I just read the entire 3 pages of this thread.....WOW....

Excellent read....from both sides.....and I won't say which one I'm on ;) LOL!

Hint: I love walking around Times Square at the ready..muahahahahahha.​...

Gear: Yes - Rides quads really slow - Likes shiny things...
Wings of Love Photography (external link)
Wings of Love FaceBook Page (external link)
Tom Duggan Photography (external link)

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 03, 2008 17:02 |  #130

How about replying "I'll give you your buck, but by the time I've deducted my photographer's fee, you actually owe me $10"

See how they like being hustled.

With a shoe on the other foot, I often get asked by people if they can photograph my car (on the rare occasions it gets taken out). I wouldn't dream of asking them for money to do so.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 03, 2008 18:15 |  #131

If they ask, say sure and give them a commercial model release to sign. Tell them your boss doesn't allow you to pay for any models without a release. You don't have to mention that you are your own boss :)

I'll bet they will all pass on the deal and move on.

But in general, if they are nice about it, and the entertainment and a smile was worth it, I'll usually give them something. At least they are trying to earn a buck, rather than ask for it in exchange for nothing.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 03, 2008 18:27 |  #132

My wife says things like that all the time.

:rolleyes:

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

abacus022
Goldmember
1,341 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 06, 2014 08:55 |  #133

A street person, no. Someone just standing out on the street looking odd, or unique. No.

But if it's a street performer, then I think it's not inappropriate to tip them for performing for me. That's what they do. That's why they are there.

Is it mandatory? No, of course not. But for me, if I find them entertaining enough to want a picture, then I think its what I should do.

Canon EOS R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 06, 2014 09:59 |  #134

Wow, 6 year mega bump!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2014 13:17 |  #135

I don't mind giving them a buck, my criteria for handing them money is I have to be able to identify the species. This one did not get any money.

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3777/12349388184_2b5636d0d9_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …57545987@N06/12​349388184/  (external link)
vegasodd1 (external link) by rick reno (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

9,947 views & 0 likes for this thread
Street Performers: "We ask people to give us a dollar for taking our picture"
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.