Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about Paypal "gift" and user account? Help please...

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 04, 2014 20:47 |  #1

Hello,

I need some advice in selling an item to a POTN member.

The POTN member wants to buy a lens I have; however, the Paypal account he uses shows under another family members name?

"...The only item to mention is the PayPal account shows under a family members name (long story short, PayPal has it associated with my email address and won't allow me to create a new one)"

Is there any risk here as I don't know exactly what he is talking about? Just FYI, he is a regular participant on the POTN forum with over 500 posts.

1) Is there anyway a claim could be filed with Paypal in which they would return the funds and I would then be out the money and lens?

2) Should I ask for his number and family member number/email addresses to insure it isn't a stolen account?

3) I rarely use the "gift" option, so I don't know if that is full proof or not?

Thanks,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
number ­ six
"After 40 [50] years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"
8,950 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 05, 2014 15:10 |  #2

Yes, yes and no.

I doubt Paypal would even consider a claim when the seller has the wrong name.

As for Paypal gift, it's for gifts. Not merchandise. Which means that you've given him the money. And then you want your "gift" returned? Nope.

Anyway, using the gift option for a sale is defrauding Paypal of their legitimate commission - not something they're going to help you with.

EDIT: Yeah, the Paypal account is linked to an email address. So why doesn't he have his own email address? I'm sure Gmail would give him one. Sounds fishy.

-js

"Be seeing you."
50D - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 18-55 IS - 28-105 II USM - 60 f/2.8 macro - 70-200 f/4 L - Sigma flash
I do not piddle on the carpet!

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 05, 2014 15:27 |  #3

never use the gift option or let anyone pay you that way unless it IS a gift. And why would a family member have his e-mail in their paypal? Fishy is right.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,065 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2007

Feb 05, 2014 15:27 |  #4

I would only allow gift for someone that has a good amount of verifiable feedback. If not then no gift.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,316 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 05, 2014 15:28 |  #5

No gift. You arent protected and you are abusing the system in a dishonest fashion.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,869 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 05, 2014 15:53 |  #6

Ralph, ask PayPal. They are pretty good about answering inquiries.

edit: Not about the Gift part. That is a no-no.

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 05, 2014 18:28 |  #7

I've received dozens of gift payments here, but personally, I will never gift a payment (more than $300)t to someone, even if they are verified and has a vast amount of feedbacks. It's just for my own peace of mind and an extra layer of protection.

DougVaughn
260 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 05, 2014 19:33 |  #8

I truly hate the high fee PayPal charges and would consider 1.5% to 2% more fair. I could take my wife out to dinner for what they charge on a camera or lens sale.

That said, I don't purchase using the gift option and won't sell with it either. There are many very good buyers and sellers here and on FM, and so far I've had excellent results, but it only takes one to screw that all up. When/if that happens, I will be glad to have whatever level of protection might be available.

Doug Vaughn
http://www.dougvaughn.​com (external link)
5DMKIII, Olympus E-M1, and lens quantity and quality that exceeds my talent.

2Live4
671 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 05, 2014 20:49 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Use regular Paypal and send an email to the email address (associated with Paypal) that the buyer provided and confirm that the purchase is indeed legitimate.

~Khánh - an amateur bOkeh-OLic
5D III & Some L's
Feedback | flickr (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 06, 2014 03:25 |  #10

When buying, insist on regular PayPal with Buyer's Protection. (Great protection for buyers, worse than zero protection for sellers.)

When selling, use a cash transfer service like Chase Bank's. PayPal gift would be the next best choice unless your buyer happens to be borrowing the name of a POTN member and has "borrowed" someone else's PayPal account information. If the PayPal account is under another family member's name, that is the person you should be communicating with and contracting to do the deal with.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,685 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 06, 2014 09:03 |  #11

1) You must ship to the address that PayPal gives you in the payment details section. If the buyer asks you to ship to a different address, refund the payment and stop communicating with them.

2) You must have on-line proof of delivery (i.e. a tracking #).

3) If the buyer's payment to you was $250 or more, you MUST also use signature confirmation.

4) Insurance on the shipment is entirely your decision.

5) Asking for a gift payment is a decision that you can make based on your own code of ethics. Keep in mind that it is a misuse of the service.

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 06, 2014 10:06 |  #12

I would never pay with Paypal gift as a buyer, just too much risk if the item is never sent/received. As for the incorrect name, that is indeed a Paypal issue. I created an ebay account linked to a parents name when I was a teenager because I didn't have my own bank account at the time. Ten years later I still have the account and it is still under the parent's name because paypal doesn't allow name changes on accounts. I could make a new Paypal account but I wouldn't retain my ebay feedback or something like that.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 06, 2014 14:03 |  #13

jt354 wrote in post #16668006 (external link)
"...As for the incorrect name, that is indeed a Paypal issue. I created an ebay account linked to a parents name when I was a teenager because I didn't have my own bank account at the time. Ten years later I still have the account and it is still under the parent's name because paypal doesn't allow name changes on accounts. I could make a new Paypal account but I wouldn't retain my ebay feedback or something like that.

Bingo. The account "name" is his mother but it is his email address associated with the account. Paypal will not allow a name change and this seems to be quite common as I did speak with Paypal.

Anyhow, I did sell the lens to him and everything seems to be fine with him providing all details, including his and his Mother's phone numbers. I was able to verify his shipping address also. As noted, he is a regular on POTN and has a listed website so everything seems on the up. We shall see...

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 07, 2014 12:44 |  #14

I don't understand the risk of accepting a gift payment as a seller. It's the buyer's choice to forgo the protections associated with PayPal. Is there any circumstance under which funds that have been transferred to your account can later be retracted by PayPal?

To the OP, I would submit that the replies in this thread come disproportionately from sticklers who don't represent the buying/selling community as a whole. It is up to the buyer and seller to choose how the transaction is carried out, and there's nothing wrong with using the Gift option if both sides agree. Personally, I would almost never choose to do it as a buyer. But, as a seller, I've accepted gift payments on multiple occasions and both parties were more than happy in the end.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

moose10101
registered smartass
1,685 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 07, 2014 13:04 |  #15

brettjrob wrote in post #16671286 (external link)
To the OP, I would submit that the replies in this thread come disproportionately from sticklers who don't represent the buying/selling community as a whole. It is up to the buyer and seller to choose how the transaction is carried out, and there's nothing wrong with using the Gift option if both sides agree. Personally, I would almost never choose to do it as a buyer. But, as a seller, I've accepted gift payments on multiple occasions and both parties were more than happy in the end.

AKA "people who pay for services rendered".

It's laughable that, in a community that is so often the victim of uncompensated use of property/services, there would be so many who think nothing of doing the exact same thing whenever they see the opportunity. And then brag about it.

sponsored links

4,543 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about Paypal "gift" and user account? Help please...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.