Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 11:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

mounting flash to large column

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2014 08:18 |  #16

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16666954 (external link)
I just Justin Clamps and Super Clamps regularly. I'd have to see the specific column to give you a specific answer. Gorilla Pod could work if you knew people wouldn't mess with it.

It's on the right edge of the frame in the image in the first post. Too thick for regular clamps to work. Might be able to clamp on one of the scrollwork trim bits, but that would be precarious - also, those might be hollow plaster or paper mache, not sturdy stone.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

sponsored links
bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 06, 2014 13:43 |  #17

nathancarter wrote in post #16667768 (external link)
It's on the right edge of the frame in the image in the first post. Too thick for regular clamps to work. Might be able to clamp on one of the scrollwork trim bits, but that would be precarious - also, those might be hollow plaster or paper mache, not sturdy stone.

yeah, that would be pretty precarious and I have to imagine they are as faux as you get. there might be a steel support column deep under there but what I can mount to is definitely a hollow plasterish shell.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 06, 2014 13:44 |  #18

jcolman wrote in post #16666802 (external link)
I've used these for years when I was in the video production biz. One word of caution, always use a safety line or chain wrapped around your light if possible. While these are great clamps, accidents do happen.

But to answer your question, I would simply use light stands and bungee cords. People are not likely to complain about the "appearance" of your setup.

yeah, you are probably right, i'm probably overly concerned about appearance when I really shouldn't be. thanks!

picturecrazy wrote in post #16667130 (external link)
Hammer and nails.

haha, I've come close to that as the ultimate solution on where to hang the dress! :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2014 13:46 |  #19

Justin Clamp to the metal part of the drop ceiling.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 06, 2014 14:52 |  #20

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16668624 (external link)
Justin Clamp to the metal part of the drop ceiling.

have you tried that before? seems like it might work, but I've never actually tried it.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2014 15:17 |  #21

bigarchi wrote in post #16668776 (external link)
have you tried that before? seems like it might work, but I've never actually tried it.

I have and it works fine. Just make sure you get venue permission first. And make sure your flash is very secure on the hotshoe.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 06, 2014 15:40 |  #22

sweet, I may give that a go sometime. or even at this gig.

I agree with whomever previously said a backup cable is always a good idea too.
I had a flash crash down from a hay loft (a good 10+ feet) in a barn wedding once. about 2 minutes before they all entered, scared the crap out of the people in there already, luckily didn't hurt anyone and miraculously it didn't break. well, the radio popper attached to it didn't do so well, but the flash is still fine, I use it all the time. I honestly think a bird flew by it (or hit it) and knocked it down, because it wasn't precariously perched up there at all. crazy things do happen though, backup cables are always a good idea.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 06, 2014 21:19 |  #23

Assistants are versatile.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 09, 2014 14:07 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #24

With a ceiling that low, why not bounce? Keeper rate will be a lot higher I would think. If you are insistent on having some cross light, I would look for something a little more secure than clamping it too the drop ceiling. Some drunk idiot is bound to swat at it sometime during the night.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,977 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 10, 2014 09:22 |  #25

My concern would be attaching it without causing any damage to the pillar.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2014 09:46 |  #26

Trent Gillespie wrote in post #16676359 (external link)
With a ceiling that low, why not bounce? Keeper rate will be a lot higher I would think.

I usually do bounce on-camera flash with one body and a standard lens, then use ocf with another body and either a telephoto or a wide angle. I like variety :)
yeah the keeper rate is much higher keeping it simple with just bouncing off of low ceilings like this, and it works good for standard stuff but it's not all that interesting to me anyway. my keeper rate with ocf is still pretty high too when everything fires like it should.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

bigarchi
THREAD ­ STARTER
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2014 09:47 |  #27

Phil V wrote in post #16678259 (external link)
My concern would be attaching it without causing any damage to the pillar.

yeah, I don't want to ever cause any damage to any venue's stuff, that's for sure. I like to keep good relationships with them all if I can :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

sponsored links

3,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
mounting flash to large column
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.