Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 25 Oct 2010 (Monday) 04:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The OLDER Photographers' thread...

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2014 18:31 |  #8716

Well one thing for sure is the last thing they will do is pick a jury of the accused peers....that just never happens.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

sponsored links
skygod44
THREAD ­ STARTER
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Feb 06, 2014 22:01 |  #8717

JAZZ D.P.G. wrote in post #16669134 (external link)
Geez, thanks a lot Skywalker!
Been nice and quiet in here, great for us hibernating bears!
Now the incessant chatter!

You know, I suddenly hang a pang of disquiet...

Seeing as how this thread is mostly manned (and womanned) by older-types, is there any built-in system within POTN to check up on people, if they've been out of the circuit for a wee bit too long?

Of course, people come-and-go. Stealthy Ninja being a case in point.
But he's still young 'n' fruity, and doing perfectly well in Hong Kong, as far as I know.

But I recall reading about Roger's weight issues a while back, and have read about various memebers' health issues of late.....so, can we (should we?) think of some kind of 'roll call' of friendship?

I don't want to suggest anything sickly-sweet, but when a valued member goes through a crisis or worse (or much worse), surely it'd be a good thing to know that your chums in POTN will get in touch in the foreseeable future...

Thoughts?

Simon

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 06, 2014 22:10 |  #8718

skygod44 wrote in post #16669812 (external link)

Seeing as how this thread is mostly manned (and womanned) by older-types, is there any built-in system within POTN to check up on people, if they've been out of the circuit for a wee bit too long?

But he's still young 'n' fruity, and doing perfectly well in Hong Kong, as far as I know.

But I recall reading about Roger's weight issues a while back, and have read about various memebers' health issues of late.....so, can we (should we?) think of some kind of 'roll call' of friendship?

I don't want to suggest anything sickly-sweet, but when a valued member goes through a crisis or worse (or much worse), surely it'd be a good thing to know that your chums in POTN will get in touch in the foreseeable future...

Thoughts?

Simon

+1.

My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2014 01:45 |  #8719

skygod44 wrote in post #16669812 (external link)

Thoughts?

Simon

Regarding my weight issue....

When I was in the service many, many years ago, I weighed 196 lbs. and stood 6'3". I also ran five miles before breakfast ever day, jumped out of airplanes, and did other crazy stuff. Those days are over forever.

In January, 2013, my doctor found I had reached 296 lbs. That was a bit much even for my generous 6'2" frame (yeah, I've shrunk a bit), so I went on a sort-of diet. Nothing too serious, mind you. Just some push-aways.

I didn't really get serious about losing weight until June.

In January, 2014, I went to the doctor again and was down to 258 lbs. That's a loss of 38 lbs in a year. Granted, I could have done a bit better, but hey! I didn't put it on all at once, so I figured I shouldn't take it off all at once.

Tuesday I had a follow up at the doctors for other things. My weight was down to 253.3 lbs (actually, 114.9 kg: I have a metric doctor). If I get down to 225 lbs, I'll consider the weight problem solved. I don't ever expect I'll reach my service weight again, as I no longer have my service body again. (Forget running five miles. Five yards, maybe....)

My problems these days are diabetes and arthritis. I'm working on the diabetes and there's squat I can do about the arthritis.

I'm like a very old and creaky car: as I go down the road parts keep rusting away and falling off.

And you ladies out there are, alas, quite safe. I can only chase very slow women.

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
41,106 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2014 04:27 |  #8720

karobinson wrote in post #16669349 (external link)
Well one thing for sure is the last thing they will do is pick a jury of the accused peers....that just never happens.

It does in this country. That should be the whole basis of the jury system.

Scoody
32 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2014 09:15 |  #8721

20droger wrote in post #16670121 (external link)

When I was in the service many, many years ago, I weighed 196 lbs. and stood 6'3". I also ran five miles before breakfast ever day, jumped out of airplanes, and did other crazy stuff. Those days are over forever.

In January, 2013, my doctor found I had reached 296 lbs. That was a bit much even for my generous 6'2" frame (yeah, I've shrunk a bit), so I went on a sort-of diet. Nothing too serious, mind you. Just some push-aways.

I didn't really get serious about losing weight until June.

In January, 2014, I went to the doctor again and was down to 258 lbs. That's a loss of 38 lbs in a year. Granted, I could have done a bit better, but hey! I didn't put it on all at once, so I figured I shouldn't take it off all at once.

Tuesday I had a follow up at the doctors for other things. My weight was down to 253.3 lbs (actually, 114.9 kg: I have a metric doctor). If I get down to 225 lbs, I'll consider the weight problem solved. I don't ever expect I'll reach my service weight again, as I no longer have my service body again. (Forget running five miles. Five yards, maybe....)

My problems these days are diabetes and arthritis. I'm working on the diabetes and there's squat I can do about the arthritis.

I'm like a very old and creaky car: as I go down the road parts keep rusting away and falling off.

And you ladies out there are, alas, quite safe. I can only chase very slow women.

My walking around weight at 5'10" has been around 225 for the last 10 years. I run (or used to run) about 3-4 miles a day. My dog was my running partner and he would pull the covers off and then jump on me and make himself a general pest until I got up on the days I did not feel like running. Running was a habit that carried over from my Army days.

I played softball. Rode crotch rocket motorcycles and horses. I have always been healthy. No diabetes, no blood pressure problems. While I have had several surgeries, all of them were the result of wrecks, being shot or stabbed.

The doctor told me no more softball. My knee replacement will not take the torque that is generated by batting.

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 07, 2014 09:15 |  #8722

Scoody wrote in post #16669079 (external link)
Tomorrow will be a month since I had my total knee replacement. I had physical therapy today. Been an out patient for a couple of weeks now. I have advanced from getting around with a walker to using a cane. It helps that my therapist is a cute Filipina.

Congrats on your progress Scoody! I am 3 1/2 weeks out of spinal fusion and also graduated from walker to cane. I thought my appointment with the surgeon this week would go very different, as I thought I would begin physical therapy but to my disappointment he said lets talk about that in another three weeks. I'm feeling better and I'm anxious to move forward but he reminded me that the surgery was pretty intense and there is still some time to go before the real work begins.

Skygod44, there are actually sites people can utilize when the inevitable happens. You list the forums/social media sites you use, and ask someone close to you to access the site which will then send messages to the sites you have listed so your online family is notified. It's never pleasant to think about, but it is a service that does have a purpose.

feedback

gear list

Scoody
32 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2014 09:21 |  #8723

jay125 wrote in post #16670651 (external link)
Congrats on your progress Scoody! I am 3 1/2 weeks out of spinal fusion and also graduated from walker to cane.

The cane was a disappointment. I got a regular cane. I wanted one of those cool canes with a sword in it.

jay125
I don't remember 19
10,755 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 07, 2014 09:27 |  #8724

Me too! But alas I got just a regular cane. Can't even hide anything in it.

feedback

gear list

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,796 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 07, 2014 11:16 |  #8725

My problems these days are diabetes and arthritis. I'm working on the diabetes and there's squat I can do about the arthritis. . . .

Hope is not lost. You can catch up with a woman who has diabetes and arthritis.

Roy Mathers wrote in post #16670235 (external link)
It does in this country. That should be the whole basis of the jury system.

The difficulty, of course, is how to define "peers."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2014 11:26 |  #8726

OhLook wrote in post #16670972 (external link)

Perhaps, but it's those fast women that are supposed to be the most fun.

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 07, 2014 11:31 |  #8727

Just wait for a blonde....most of us are running the wrong way to begin with. You just have to be able to grab us when we run by.

Glad you are on the right track. And you are so right to go slow taking the weight off.

One thing my MS has taught me is not to carry anything I don't need rather it be extra weight, luggage or old baggage if you know what I mean. (That way I can bring more camera gear.) I wish you all the success in the world.

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
20,796 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 07, 2014 11:46 |  #8728

OhLook wrote in post #16670972 (external link)

20droger wrote in post #16671005 (external link)
Perhaps, but it's those fast women that are supposed to be the most fun.

Don't believe the rumors.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Scoody
32 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 07, 2014 11:58 |  #8729

The slower women tend to be somewhat meatier and more my style anyway. Chloe Kardashian over Kim any day.

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2014 13:17 |  #8730

karobinson wrote in post #16671030 (external link)
Just wait for a blonde....most of us are running the wrong way to begin with. You just have to be able to grab us when we run by.

Glad you are on the right track. And you are so right to go slow taking the weight off.

One thing my MS has taught me is not to carry anything I don't need rather it be extra weight, luggage or old baggage if you know what I mean. (That way I can bring more camera gear.) I wish you all the success in the world.

I've always thought of "blonde" as a condition of the mind rather than the hair. Some of the blondest people I've known were brunettes.

Funny thing about my weight. While I was definitely fat, I never really looked FAT, if you know what I mean. My doctor says it has to do with my height and the fact that I have very broad shoulders. I guess I just carry it well. I am what people used to call a "big man": size 2XL-Tall.

I'm sorry about your MS. MS really sucks. It kinda puts my problems into perspective.

My arthritis is definitely catching up with me. Over the last few years my right leg has become very bad, forcing me to move quite slowly and use a cane. Now my left leg has decided that it doesn't want to be left behind. My doctor has decided that the time has come for me to get a rollator (that's a walker with wheels and a seat). Sigh.... It's really hard to look sexy using a rollator.

sponsored links

1,009,728 views & 178 likes for this thread
The OLDER Photographers' thread...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.