Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 06 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 11:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Facebook - personal vs business page

kellmeister
171 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 06, 2014 11:00 |  #1

Like a lot of photographers I have a personal and business page on facebook.

My personal profile has about 400 friends and my business has about 120 likes.

The problem is that I usually post the same post on my personal AND business page so things are getting redundant.

Should I do away with my business page and just start posting strictly from my personal page OR just post strictly on my business page? I'm aware of facebook putting limits on business pages and the use of promotion fees.

The advantages of just using a personal page for all my posts are that I may seem more "personal/attainable" to people and I can also tag other people in photos easier. I don't have a need to express any negative feelings or rant on my personal page, so I'm not worried about losing clients.

The business page seems more professional though, especially if you can grow the numbers. Right now I'm at 120 likes, so it may not come across as being professional. I'm worried about how facebook promotes business pages though and if the business page is a "pay to play" thing.

Thoughts? keep everything personal or business?

Canon 5d Mark II - 24-70 f2, 70-200 2.8 mk2, Sigma 50mm F1.4, 85mm f1.8, 35mm f2, 580exII, AB400 x 2, AB800 x 2
Rolleiflex 6003 - 80mm

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2014 11:19 |  #2

Personal opinion: Keep them separate. On rare occasions, you can use your personal page to share work or status that's on your business page. Don't post your personal stuff on your business page.

If a Facebook "friend" has invited me to like their business/fan page, and they always post the same things on their personal page and their business page, I am going to make an active effort to unfollow both. Maybe you think it's very exciting, but I don't need to see it twice in my feed. Similarly, if you share your personal dirty laundry on your business page, I'm gone.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 06, 2014 11:27 |  #3

nathancarter wrote in post #16668211 (external link)
Personal opinion: Keep them separate. On rare occasions, you can use your personal page to share work or status that's on your business page. Don't post your personal stuff on your business page.

If a Facebook "friend" has invited me to like their business/fan page, and they always post the same things on their personal page and their business page, I am going to make an active effort to unfollow both. Maybe you think it's very exciting, but I don't need to see it twice in my feed. Similarly, if you share your personal dirty laundry on your business page, I'm gone.

This. I would most definitely keep the pages separate. It doesn't really matter if you "don't post personal stuff or rants" on your personal page, you should use your photography business facebook strictly for photography related things. Then, I think what Nathan said about sharing on your personal page would be acceptable. Maybe once a week make a post on your personal page telling your personal friends that you have new work published on your business page. Or maybe a few times a week you can share a specific picture on your facebook for your friends to see (which would lead them to visit your business page).

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2014 11:30 |  #4

keep them separate for sure. Occasionally I will share my photo page on my personal page, but not all the time.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

juicedownload
374 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 06, 2014 11:49 as a reply to  @ peeaanuut's post |  #5

I think it's against the user TOS to use a personal account for business. Still I see photographers use it though. I only use facebook for business related items, so overall not a fan of facebook.

Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

kellmeister
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 06, 2014 12:17 |  #6

Thanks everyone. I'm not much of a facebook user anyway, so when I do post something its related to photography or a picture I've just taken. Hence, my dilemma about having two pages that are basically doing the same thing.

Canon 5d Mark II - 24-70 f2, 70-200 2.8 mk2, Sigma 50mm F1.4, 85mm f1.8, 35mm f2, 580exII, AB400 x 2, AB800 x 2
Rolleiflex 6003 - 80mm

DavidAndrew
37 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 06, 2014 20:21 |  #7

juicedownload wrote in post #16668314 (external link)
I think it's against the user TOS to use a personal account for business. Still I see photographers use it though. I only use facebook for business related items, so overall not a fan of facebook.

You can enable your personal page to allow people to subscribe, or follow, only your public posts - without the whole friending thing. So I think the personal or business question is more gray. This would be good for building your personal brand, as a photographer in our cases here. Trey Ratclif and Robert Scobel are examples. The downside for some, as I understand it, is there's no way to post specifically to your subscribers since your friend lists see your public posts too.

David
Portfolio / Blog  (external link) | Flickr  (external link) | 500px  (external link) | Instagram  (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 06, 2014 20:30 |  #8

i think its also about how you are marking your self.

Lets use the name David Anderson

Are you
1. David Anderson - Photographer
or
2. David Anderson Photography

I think that 1 would be a personal page and 2 would be a business.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2014 22:09 |  #9

Should I do away with my business page and just start posting strictly from my personal page OR just post strictly on my business page?

This is against the Facebook TOS and your page will be disabled or converted to a business page if you do it. You will lose all images, likes and friends.

A business page will also show up in Google Searches, where a personal page will not.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

everardo
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2014 23:15 |  #10

I've noticed this isn't always enforced though :(

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16669830 (external link)
This is against the Facebook TOS and your page will be disabled or converted to a business page if you do it. You will lose all images, likes and friends.

A business page will also show up in Google Searches, where a personal page will not.

kellmeister
THREAD ­ STARTER
171 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 07, 2014 12:50 |  #11

Has anyone noticed a drop off in how many people view a post when done on the business page? I understand facebook wants businesses to pay to promote their page and it may effect the number of people that view your post.

Rolleiflex 6003 - 80mm

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 07, 2014 13:26 |  #12

kellmeister wrote in post #16671301 (external link)
Has anyone noticed a drop off in how many people view a post when done on the business page? I understand facebook wants businesses to pay to promote their page and it may effect the number of people that view your post.

Big time. It was great a couple years ago. If people don't subscribe to your page, they probably won't see it pop up in your feeds. Really sucks.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

kpritts
329 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 07, 2014 19:58 as a reply to  @ Thomas Campbell's post |  #13

I agree with those who advise to keep them separate. I only use a business page as I really don't have time for the chit-chat on a personal page. I do put a lot of low res photos on my Facebook page and it draws a lot of people in the local area to that page as a promotion. It has also resulted in a few calls for sessions.

Just my two cents but I believe it important to keep personal and business separate.

KDPritts Photography (http://kdpritts.com (external link))
Canon 1D Mark IV, 60D; Canon EF 16-35L II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105L, 70-200 f2.8L II, 100 f2.8L macro, 100-400L, 300 f2.8L; Canon 1.4x III extender; Travel Kit: EOS M2, 11-22, 18-55, 22, 55-200.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 07, 2014 20:18 |  #14

The clue is in the names... "Business" page versus "Personal" profile

Peter

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 07, 2014 22:39 |  #15

I have a personal page as well as business, I have about a 1/3 and 1/4 of my friends who follow my page, but well than 4x the amount of followers on the business page than friends. Depending on what happens, most of my clients I have them as friends on my personal which make interaction that much easier and more friendly. I sometime do share my business page posts on my personal.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,081 views & 0 likes for this thread
Facebook - personal vs business page
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.