Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 16 Dec 2013 (Monday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

YN-E3-RT | my first impressions

ilumo
Goldmember
1,736 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 29, 2014 19:53 |  #196

Not sure if you guys mentioned this in the thread but A couple of questions.

Will I be able to adjust the 600ex I have right from the menus on my 5dm3?
Will I be able to somehow use my 430ex2 with this transmitter? Is there an "optical slave" option? Or am I out of luck and need to get the 600ex/YN equivalent?

Thanks.

Body: Sony a7R IV
Glass: 50mm f/1.8 | 35mm f/1.4L USM | 16-35 f/4.0 IS USML USM | 24-70 f/2.8L II USM | 24-105 f/4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f/2.8L II IS USM | 85mm f/1.4L IS USM | 100mm f/2.8L IS USM | 24mm f/1.4GM | 70-200mm f/2.8GM | Samyang 85mm f/1.4 | Voigtlander 10mm f/5.6
Accessories: 430 EX II, 600 EX, tripods, umbrellas, and other goodies.

sponsored links
agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 29, 2014 20:21 |  #197

ilumo wrote in post #16648477 (external link)
Not sure if you guys mentioned this in the thread but A couple of questions.

Will I be able to adjust the 600ex I have right from the menus on my 5dm3?
Will I be able to somehow use my 430ex2 with this transmitter? Is there an "optical slave" option? Or am I out of luck and need to get the 600ex/YN equivalent?

Thanks.

I responded to your duplicate post here: https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=16648504&p​ostcount=9

Rand

Gear

jimmyt
707 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 04, 2014 10:10 |  #198

I had 1 set of YN-622C, I am thinking to order second set of YN-622C for use with 2 speed light I have 430EX & 600EX-rt, also I just got my 70D.
now I changed my mind to get YN-E3-RT
Will this YN-E3-RT work with my gear.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks

Gear List

amirg
532 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 04, 2014 14:00 |  #199

jimmyt wrote in post #16662663 (external link)
I had 1 set of YN-622C, I am thinking to order second set of YN-622C for use with 2 speed light I have 430EX & 600EX-rt, also I just got my 70D.
now I changed my mind to get YN-E3-RT
Will this YN-E3-RT work with my gear.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks

It will work with your 600EX-RT only. Not backward compatible with the 430 or 580 series speedlites unless YN releases a standalone RT-compatible receiver at some point.

http://www.twilightand​tulle.com (external link)
Facebook (external link)

jimmyt
707 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 04, 2014 15:04 |  #200

Thank you AMIRG.
seam like I have to buy second set of YN-622c

Gear List

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 07, 2014 08:14 as a reply to  @ jimmyt's post |  #201

Does the YN-E3-RT use the same laser type as the 622C and is that why it works better at the center point for AF Assist?

Any idea if there is a "fix" or modification for a future release of this product?

lianggc
97 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 11, 2014 03:17 |  #202

Firmware v1.09 beta:

https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com …YN-E3-RT_FW_V1.09beta.zip (external link)

Fixed: update limit of flash number in Multi mode.
Fixed: disable HSS in multi mode
Added: P.FN: legacy trigger mode. When it's set, YN-E3-RT won't detect ettl
input so that it can be used on Fuji hotshoes.
Added: P.FN: Free Mask Group. This setting is used with GR/*. Free mask will
be on/off when you hold GR/* button for a few seconds. When Free mask is on,
groups not in this setting won't fire. So you can take a photo with background
flashes only quickly.

BTW:

Free Mask will be implemented in 622c/622n-tx also.

622c-tx will have a compatible option (manual control) for 550ex/580ex/380ex etc.

This post is intended to be read on photography-on-the.net only. Please don't repost/quote it on other websites without permession.
Yongnuo Products Support: service@hkyongnuo.com (external link)

Trailboy
540 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 11, 2014 04:48 |  #203

lianggc wrote in post #16680429 (external link)
Added: P.FN: legacy trigger mode. When it's set, YN-E3-RT won't detect ettl
input so that it can be used on Fuji hotshoes.

That's going to be popular. Just Fuji, or is firing implemented through the centre pin so can be used with other cameras?

lianggc wrote in post #16680429 (external link)
622c-tx will have a compatible option (manual control) for 550ex/580ex/380ex etc.

x x x

:)

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 13, 2014 10:42 |  #204

I just updated my firmware to 1.09 to implement the Legacy feature.
Did some testing with 600EX-RTs in Gr mode, two groups set to M.

Works a charm.

Once the YN-E3 is in Legacy Mode, it says Legacy in bold letters at the top of the screen so there is no confusion.

Then set the groups to M and select the power settings for each group.
Press the test fire button to communicate the information to the 600s and away you go.

Its a great feature for someone with an investment in Canon equipment and 600 system speedlites when they want to keep the lighting gear to a minimum while still using another camera system.
In my case its the Fujifilm X system.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 13, 2014 12:17 |  #205

There seems to be an issue with the YN transmitter after it and the Slave flash go to sleep. It was first discussed here https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=13328​62&page=15 and I did more testing last night and will continue tonight. Here is the issue https://photography-on-the.net …?p=16683139&pos​tcount=220 . I am having the same issue with both of my YN transmitters but have not had any issues with my ST-E3-RTs. I also, so far, have only had issues when using a single Slave flash. When using multiple Slaves, so far at least, I have not had problems but further testing will continue tonight. Having to wait the ten minutes for the Slaves to go to sleep takes a while to complete tests especially when I get distracted doing other things while I wait. I have v1.08 firmware in both YNs.

Rand

Gear

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 13, 2014 15:54 |  #206

Is this with Canon cameras or non-Canon. Probably doesn't make a difference.
Anyway, I just did a quick test with YN-E3 in Legacy mode on Fuji X Pro1.
Camera, YN-E3 and two 600EX-RTs; one in Gr B one in Gr C.

Everything was asleep. Pressed and held shutter release half way to wake up camera. That woke up YN-E3 and speedlites. Had to press test button to communicate power setting to lights then they fired as expected.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 13, 2014 19:39 |  #207

dmward wrote in post #16687299 (external link)
Is this with Canon cameras or non-Canon. Probably doesn't make a difference.
Anyway, I just did a quick test with YN-E3 in Legacy mode on Fuji X Pro1.
Camera, YN-E3 and two 600EX-RTs; one in Gr B one in Gr C.

Everything was asleep. Pressed and held shutter release half way to wake up camera. That woke up YN-E3 and speedlites. Had to press test button to communicate power setting to lights then they fired as expected.

I was using a 5DmII but I am going to test them with my 5DmIII tonight. Pressing the test button does nothing. The only way to solve the issue is to turn the YN xmiter off and back on.

Rand

Gear

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 13, 2014 22:37 |  #208

agv8or wrote in post #16687762 (external link)
I was using a 5DmII but I am going to test them with my 5DmIII tonight. Pressing the test button does nothing. The only way to solve the issue is to turn the YN xmiter off and back on.

Did a quick test with 5DIII and YN-E3 and same two 600EX-RTs still in M mode.
Fired them, all worked as expected. Let everything go to sleep.

Camera, YN-E3 and both speedlites woke up with half shutter button press. Then fired and the speedlites went off as expected. Same exposure as previous.

The test button press is required with legacy implementation to get the speedlite settings sent to them from the YN-E3.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 13, 2014 23:06 |  #209

dmward wrote in post #16688143 (external link)
Did a quick test with 5DIII and YN-E3 and same two 600EX-RTs still in M mode.
Fired them, all worked as expected. Let everything go to sleep.

Camera, YN-E3 and both speedlites woke up with half shutter button press. Then fired and the speedlites went off as expected. Same exposure as previous.

The test button press is required with legacy implementation to get the speedlite settings sent to them from the YN-E3.

I have been using ETTL mode with Groups set to "ALL" for my testing. I have the YN xmiter set to go to sleep and the Slave flash C.Fn-10 set to 1: 10 minutes and C.Fn-11 set to 0: 8h. I have not had the issue when using two Slave flashes (YET!) but the issue comes intermittently when using a single Slave flash. Like I mentioned both the Slave and xmiter wake up and link lights are green and ready light on Slave is red but confirmation light on xmiter does not light and does not trigger Flash when shutter button fully depressed. Pressing the test fire button on the xmiter fires a test flash but does not fix the issue.

Update: Having the same issue with the 5DmIII.

Update 2: Spent a fair amount of time testing in different wireless modes with both 1 and 2 Slave flashes. Only once did the issue arise when using 2 strobes. The issue only presented itself while testing in the ETTL wireless mode. On a couple of occasions when the issue arose I switched modes and even though the charge/confirmation light on the xmiter was not lit the Slaves could be fired in manual or multi modes but not in ETTL. When I switched to Gr mode the Slave would not fire when Slave group A was in ETTL but it would fire when switched to Manual mode.

Rand

Gear

dmward
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 14, 2014 22:37 |  #210

Took my Fuji XE2 and YN-E3 along on a wedding job today.
Had a chance to test the ability to use Canon 5DIII with 600EX-RT on camera and two 600EX-RTs on stands. The stand lights were in Group B and C in Gr Mode ETTL on the Canon.

Then, with YN-E3 on XE2, in Gr mode with A turned off and B and C in M mode. B set to 1/4 power and C set to 1/8 power. I pressed the test button and then shot with the XE2s fired as expected and gave me the proper exposure, once I had the camera set for the lights. Then picked up the 5DIII and woke up the on-camera 600EX-RT and it changed the lights to ETTL for proper exposure.

I had the camera settings enough different to ensure that the lights were changing power settings.

This is a very neat capability.

Just to confirm that everything was working as I expected, I replicated the situation this morning. First Canon with ST-E3-RT in Gr mode and ETTL. Two 600s, one in group B, one in group C. Fired and got expected exposure.

YN-E3 on Fuji XE2 in Legacy and Gr M mode with Group B at 1/4 and Group C at 1/8. Without pressing the test button, the two speedlites stay in ETTL mode and fire at the power setting established when controlled by the ST-E3. Press the test button on the YN-E3 the speedlites change to M mode and show the power setting.

Fire again with 5DIII and ST-E3, the speedlites switch to ETTL mode before firing.

sponsored links

60,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
YN-E3-RT | my first impressions
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.