Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Feb 2014 (Friday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RF EMISSIONS FROM 1D X CAMERA

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 11:53 |  #16

Amen, Aronis, Amen.

Ralph Eldridge
http://pbase.com/light​rae (external link)

sponsored links
WesternGuy
774 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 07, 2014 11:55 |  #17

Not sure if this is relevant, but the 1D X is capable of wired LAN communication. Maybe the port on the camera is emitting a signal of some sort. Have you checked this to see if it is the culprit? The manual for this feature can be found here - http://media.the-digital-picture.com …AN-Instruction-Manual.pdf (external link)

The only other question I would ask is whether or not you have the latest firmware installed? That may not solve the problem, but any port in a storm. If you do find a solution, please post it so the rest of us can be aware of the solution.

WesternGuy

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,298 posts
Gallery: 746 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 07, 2014 12:04 |  #18

LIGHTRAE wrote in post #16671109 (external link)
Sorry, Talley. Not the government. I'm a Fed and I can tell you that we long ago moved off the VHF band. We use microwaves because they cause a slow, undetectable lobotomy.
We don't care what you think. We just want you to stop.

LOL!!

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 12:06 as a reply to  @ WesternGuy's post |  #19

Western Guy; the LAN occurred to me but I don't see how that could be a factor since I have the Communications Function disabled.
Nonetheless, it's a good thought and I'll investigate it a bit.

Ralph Eldridge

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,491 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 07, 2014 12:09 |  #20

LIGHTRAE wrote in post #16671109 (external link)
....We use microwaves because they cause a slow, undetectable lobotomy.
We don't care what you think. We just want you to stop.

Oh, damn! That's the funniest thing I've read this morning :D

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

seall
561 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 07, 2014 12:10 |  #21

LIGHTRAE wrote in post #16671061 (external link)
You lost me on that one, Seall. I don't recognize "Test Display".
Might I know it by a different title or can you point me to it?

Do you get the same fault with the cameras display switched off? Just wondering if it could be stray RF from the control circuitry for the display.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Feb 07, 2014 12:13 |  #22

seall wrote in post #16671162 (external link)
Do you get the same fault with the cameras display switched off? Just wondering if it could be stray RF from the control circuitry for the display.

Yes, that was my thought too.

Mark

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 07, 2014 12:24 |  #23

155 MHz is not too far from the operating speeds of lots of microcontrollers, so it isn't impossible that the GUI processor might be busy at that speed. And that processor will be running at all times when you have the display active or are pressing buttons, focusing etc.

All electronics should normally be quite well screened, since there are quite strict emission regulations that must be fulfilled. But in case a cable isn't properly fitted, the cable - or a full PCB - might become a transmitting antenna. In the end, it's ground planes, cable shields and thin metal shield boxes that makes sure that the electronics fulfills the regulations.

The factories doesn't normaly have any test process to measure emissions from individual units produced (except when designing radio equipment that needs to be trimmed) - the produced units are all assumed to behave similarly to the test units that was measured in a shielded room.

An unused ethernet connector should not radiate - the media layer should detect if there is a valid device on the other side before any actual transmissions will start. That's what the link lamp is used to indicate on network ports.

Do contact Canon - it is very unlikely that your camera should be able to disturb your pager like that. It's basically only mobile phones that have some form of carte blanche to radiate enough that other equipment gets directly affected.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 12:27 |  #24

Seall & Rrblint; it looks like we could be on the right track.
I knew that the epicentre was the main screen and it appears that the screen must be active i.e. showing something to create the radiation.
I'm still going to run through all the many screens, just to leave no loose ends, but I fairly confident that the active display is the culprit.

Thanks all around.

Ralph Eldridge

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 12:33 as a reply to  @ rrblint's post |  #25

Thanks, pwm22.

I've already contacted Canon and done a bit of brainstorming. They say they have never run into rf interference from the camera.

Nonetheless, this is a new camera so it may be tripping back.

Ralph Eldridge

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 07, 2014 12:33 |  #26

Reaching for straws here, but does the 1Dx have any built-in ability to control the new wireless flash system they introduced with the 600EX-RT?

Joel

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 12:35 |  #27

Yes, Joel.

Ralph Eldridge

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,853 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 07, 2014 13:06 as a reply to  @ LIGHTRAE's post |  #28

Talley wrote in post #16671080 (external link)
You have to open the camera up and disable the micro camera inside the viewfinder that the government has installed on all cameras. The frequency transmits data to the CIA in order to track various related undisclosed items.

It's the government man... the government.

related reading, especially post 13: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1349086

what about the little dealie that turns the screen off when your face moves up to it? My XSi has one, proximity sensor whatchamacallit.

sorry for all the technical jargon.

edit: actually, that dealie is IR.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 13:39 |  #29

Interesting thread, He's gone.
There are a ton of conspiracies but generally speaking, us government types are too lazy to think up all the dumb stuff the theorists spend their lives on.
Flashing lights and mystery buttons? Just excuses to grab more money and keep ya'll distracted. It works, too.

Ralph Eldridge

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,072 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 07, 2014 16:09 as a reply to  @ LIGHTRAE's post |  #30

The 1DX can control remote flashes, but not by itself. It takes adding the ST-E3-RT or 600 EX-RT radio transmitting controller/flash for that. So it's not built in.

As close as you have to come with the pager for it to trigger, the camera may very well be below the regulatory FCC/EMC/VCCI levels, which are measured 10 m away (or 3 m and normalized to 10). It can still interfere with stuff that comes close enough.

Anders

sponsored links

4,613 views & 0 likes for this thread
RF EMISSIONS FROM 1D X CAMERA
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.