Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 Feb 2014 (Friday) 09:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advertizing in the Phone book?

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 07, 2014 09:31 |  #1

Does anyone here advertize in the phone book? Do you get referrals from the phone book?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 07, 2014 10:01 |  #2

I would have never even considered it. Do your potential/desired clients use the phone book? I don't think mine do.

....does anyone use the phone book any more?

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Willie
959 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 07, 2014 10:30 |  #3

What's a phone book?

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 07, 2014 10:34 |  #4

Willie wrote in post #16670818 (external link)
What's a phone book?

It's that thing they leave on your doorstep with all the insurance agencies and law offices plastered on it. You know, the one that goes straight from the doorstep into the recycle bin.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 07, 2014 10:42 |  #5

Fernando wrote in post #16670828 (external link)
It's that thing they leave on your doorstep with all the insurance agencies and law offices plastered on it. You know, the one that goes straight from the doorstep into the recycle bin.

Lol. I am thinking that no one advertizes there, but there might be some older people who might still look in it. idk

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 07, 2014 10:47 |  #6

When I was in the phone book, I received calls from old people asking if I develop film, transfer VHS to DVD, fix cameras, can recommend a camera, or am a camera shop. And one batsh*t crazy lady who just called over and over to jabber on about how she didn't take her medication that day and thought she was doing fine.

I didn't get a single call about my actual services, despite being listed under PHOTOGRAPHERS - WEDDING & PORTRAIT in big bold letters.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,130 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 07, 2014 11:04 |  #7

I stack mine up, wet them a bit and use them for target practice in the basement.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 07, 2014 12:11 |  #8

Physical phonebooks are great. I have a stack of them holding up a piece of equipment at the office. They were cheaper than buying a proper stand, and as a bonus they have a bit of vibration dampening effect going on...

As for actually using them to look something up? Only time I've done that in the last decade was when my internet cut out one time and I couldn't find a paper copy of a bill that had a support number on it.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 07, 2014 12:58 |  #9

I know that anyone on POTN will probably never use a phone book. Anyone who can figure out how to register for a forum will be smart enough to never use it, however, what I am wondering is if there is a untapped population who does not really use a computer much. I am just very curious if anyone has actually tried it. I live in a decently large area with a population of about 1.6 million people.

jwhite65
395 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 07, 2014 13:06 |  #10

Possibly the elderly. Or those without access to a computer/smartphone.
I'm not sure if that is a market sample worth pursuing.

Jeff
http://www.jeffwhiteph​otography.com (external link)
5D MkIII | 5D MkII | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 24-70 f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 600EX-RT (3) | ST-E3-RT

magoosmc
980 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 07, 2014 13:14 |  #11

Not since Al Gore invented the internet.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/22055591@N05/a​lbums (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 07, 2014 13:28 |  #12

cdifoto wrote in post #16670870 (external link)
When I was in the phone book, I received calls from old people asking if I develop film, transfer VHS to DVD, fix cameras, can recommend a camera, or am a camera shop. And one batsh*t crazy lady who just called over and over to jabber on about how she didn't take her medication that day and thought she was doing fine.

I didn't get a single call about my actual services, despite being listed under PHOTOGRAPHERS - WEDDING & PORTRAIT in big bold letters.

professorman wrote in post #16671323 (external link)
I know that anyone on POTN will probably never use a phone book. Anyone who can figure out how to register for a forum will be smart enough to never use it, however, what I am wondering is if there is a untapped population who does not really use a computer much. I am just very curious if anyone has actually tried it. I live in a decently large area with a population of about 1.6 million people.

Selective reading much? :rolleyes:

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 07, 2014 13:35 |  #13

You might be able to find a certain set of clients who are used to paying for portraiture the same way they did back in 1979. Shoot on 512MB SD cards, and charge them per card used, just like you would charge based on the number of rolls of film you used.

Also: Portraits with white vignette, or three soft-focus filters stacked on top of each other. I can't decide if this is groovy man, or totally tubular.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 07, 2014 13:40 |  #14

1974 called--they want their marketing strategy idea back.

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

SeattleSpeedster
Goldmember
3,090 posts
Gallery: 463 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 07, 2014 13:40 |  #15

This is well on its way to becoming the best thread of 2014

Fuji GFX50s and A7R II | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Otus and 28mm f1.4 Otus | Zeiss 18mm f3.5 | Canon 200mm f1.8 | Zeiss 100-300mm | Zeiss and Canon 16-35mm f4 | Zeiss 135mm f2 | Voigtlander 10mm f5.6 | Zeiss and Sony 50mm f1.4 | DJI Mavic Pro 2 and Inspire 2 X5S drones | https://mikereidphotog​raphy.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,275 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advertizing in the Phone book?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.