Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 00:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Alien Bees or Cheetah Light?

Drake ­ Avenue ­ Photography
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 02, 2014 00:45 |  #1

Hello! This is my first post in POTN, but this is not my only forum. I'm a Pentax guy, but I joined POTN specifically for this particular lighting forum. The knowledge and expertise that I've seen displayed here is spectacular and second to none.

I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I'm in the process of upgrading my (small) lighting kit, and I'm being pulled in two directions. I mainly shoot weddings and on-location portraits (95% of my paid work). I'm a follower of the Strobist method, and thus far have gotten along nicely with a single Youngno YN-560ii and shoot-thru umbrella, but I feel I've reached the limits of this kit and need more power and access to larger light modifiers.

I was thinking of getting an Einstein 640 with the CC, Soft Silver PLM, 22" White BD, 8.5" Standard reflector, Vagabond Mini and two more YN-560iii's to use as hair/rim/fill.

Thanks to this forum, however, I've learned about the Cheetahlight 180/360 and the V850's. I think a kit with a 360 and two V850's would be pretty awesome, albeit with a loss of maximum power and super short t.1 times vs the PCB kit. Also, mounting options and possible light modifiers seem to be compromised to an extent, but I could use the Cheetahlight triggers to control everything remotely.

Which of these two options would be the most portable and versatile (and reliable)? Also, cost effectiveness is a factor. I'd like to keep this expenditure below $1500 as I'll also be investing in more Pentax Limited, DA* and FA* glass.

The included photo is an in-camera 4 shot multi exposure taken with my Pentax K5iis and Sigma EX DG 70mm f2.8 Macro. Lighting was the YN-560ii hand-held with my DIY beauty dish.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 02, 2014 22:19 |  #2

no one has anything to say about the portability of the Einstein vs the 360?

Not_a_Canon
473 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 02, 2014 22:25 |  #3

Portability, the cheetah is the size of a speed light and the Einstein is not. I have neither, but the portability would have to be own by the cheetah IMO.

Instagram (external link)

ducatiwv
Goldmember
2,584 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 02, 2014 22:28 |  #4

Drake Avenue Photography wrote in post #16659176 (external link)
no one has anything to say about the portability of the Einstein vs the 360?

I have both setups, if you want to travel light( especially for location shoots needing battery pack) , then I d go for cheetah, BUT, if you need the extra power the Einstein is the way to go. Einstein and vagabond mini is about the same cost, maybe just a little more depending on where you purchase the 360 , ( Godox, or Cheetah) but if i was just going for one setup alone I d probably choose the Einstein. I know there are people who disagree , for all around i d choose it. That being said , when i travel I usually take the Cheetah setup.

Current Equipment list: 5d/30d/24-105 f4/L IS USM / 70-200f4L/ Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI II/sigma 10-20/canon 50 1.4

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 02, 2014 22:44 as a reply to  @ ducatiwv's post |  #5

I have both also, and as much as the Godox/Cheetah is lighter and smaller, it still requires an external battery, so setup time is going to be about the same. I guess if you have space limitation, the Godox/Cheetah will fit into your bag easier and perhaps easier to carry since it's lighter. That said, the Einstein/Vagabond solution isn't really huge either, and it's got twice as much power. Get both ;-)a

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 02, 2014 23:06 |  #6

Right now I think I'm leaning slightly more towards the 360, just to have a fully integrated remotely controllable system, but it seems that it would be more of a pain to keep track of the adapters I would need to be able to modify the light. Is there a simple way to attach the 360 to umbrellas, parabolics, and beauty dishes?

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 02, 2014 23:27 as a reply to  @ Drake Avenue Photography's post |  #7

Here's the umbrella holder for the Cheetah...

https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com/product-p/cl-s6.htm (external link)

The Cheetah uses the same mount as speedlites. That said, because it's bare bulb, I find the usual vertical mounts don't push the bulb in far enough into the modifier. I think the Cheetah Pro Bracket

https://www.cheetahsta​nd.com …racket-MKII-p/bktmkii.htm (external link)

probably does a better job.

5D Mark III, 6D, EOS-M 22mm f/2 | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 50mm f1.4 | 100L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

yogibear
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 07, 2014 14:04 |  #8

The Einstein is great for portraits but not the best tool for run and gun that a wedding would call for. The Einstein would work well at a wedding if it's used to light up a dark reception hall. It's just a little too heavy to to use through out a wedding day.

RickFL
378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 03, 2014 14:20 |  #9

I had some of the same questions as the OP. Specifically about the light modifiers available for the Cheetah. Is there a good variety and quality?

6D gripped :: 17-40L :: 135L :: 70-200 f/2.8L II IS :: Tokina 24-70 f/2.8 :: 50 f/1.4 :: CL 360 (x 2)
My website: rickalonzophoto.com (external link)
My Instagram @sosofreshnsoclean (external link)

sportmode
549 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jun 03, 2014 14:51 as a reply to  @ RickFL's post |  #10

The PLM that I bought with my Einstein works really good with the umbrella mount on the Cheetah Speed Pro S Bracket (external link).

adammazza
505 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 03, 2014 15:11 |  #11

RickFL wrote in post #16949201 (external link)
I had some of the same questions as the OP. Specifically about the light modifiers available for the Cheetah. Is there a good variety and quality?

If you use the Cheetah speed bracket, or Godox S type you can use standard Bowen modifiers. The Cheetah lights will also easily fit in umbrella type softboxes like the Apollos.

Canon 5Dm3, Fuji X100T, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X70
Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 IS
Canon 24-105mm L F/4.0 IS
Sigma 35mm F/1.4, Sigma 85mm F/1.4
Fuji 16mm F/1.4, Fuji 35mm F/1.4, Fuji 56mm F/1.2, Fuji 16-55 F/2.8

ogmike
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 03, 2014 17:58 |  #12

id say go for the godox for portability i have one in my bag with a ton of other stuff and it fits great

www.mikeheikkila.com (external link)

starlights
661 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 03, 2014 18:12 |  #13

I have both, the PCB Einstein (with CC) and The Godox 360 (along with a couple of TT850s)

I shoot mostly outdoors and some indoors/studio - earlier on, I used Einstein quite a bit when shooting outdoor, specially when I needed more light than my canon speedlights would provide. Einstein combined with the Cyber Commander (where you control the E's output and it has a built in flash meter on the back) and Vagabond Mini is pretty sweet - Its slightly more cumbersome than using speedlight/s in the field but then it gives you tons of power.

Since I have bought the AD360, I dont use Einstein a whole lot outdoors - just because the 360 gives me as much power as I "normally" need but its a lot more portable and convenient to set up quickly. I use the 360 mostly in westcott type umbrella softboxes and the set up is very light and extremely portable.

The 850s are usually used as additional light when i need them or exclusively when i shoot with the Fujifilm X100s just because it syncs upto 1/1000 of a second so not a whole lot of flash power is needed at wide open apertures - this makes an extremely light and very portable setup.

In the past I often carried the Einstein and the Vegabond mini in a shoulder camera bag (Like mountainsmith Parallax) along with my other photography gear - it was heavy but manageable and thus pretty portable.

In terms of light output - even though on paper the difference is just about 1 stop between the E & the 360, i felt it to be greater in real life shooting situations. Hope this helps in some way.

bikfoto
Alexander the Wannabe
423 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jun 03, 2014 19:06 |  #14

Curious to find out the answer as well, since I'm primarily Alienbees shooter.

bikfoto (external link)
Need a WEBSITE? (external link)
Gear & Feedback
flickr (external link)

RickFL
378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 03, 2014 21:16 |  #15

Thanks guys. I have all along planned to get an Einstein(s) for my entry into monolights. But the CL-360 has me second guessing that idea. I shoot without an assistant and the portability factor might just win out since I always shoot on location.

6D gripped :: 17-40L :: 135L :: 70-200 f/2.8L II IS :: Tokina 24-70 f/2.8 :: 50 f/1.4 :: CL 360 (x 2)
My website: rickalonzophoto.com (external link)
My Instagram @sosofreshnsoclean (external link)

sponsored links

6,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
Alien Bees or Cheetah Light?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.