Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Feb 2014 (Friday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RF EMISSIONS FROM 1D X CAMERA

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 16:59 |  #31

That's my take on it, too, Anders.
It's definitely low level and not too big a problem.
My biggest concern is that it might be a symptom of some hidden defect. I'd just as soon find out early, before it manifests as a big post-warranty repair bill.

Ralph Eldridge
http://pbase.com/light​rae (external link)

sponsored links
EOS5DC
791 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 07, 2014 17:46 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

This is news to who, exactly? Everything that uses electricity emits RF. Yes, even your toaster.

Bodies: 60D, 6D.
EFs: 15-85, 10-22
EF: 28-75, 35 f/2 IS, Σ70-200 OS, 100-400L
Flash: 580EX II, 430 EX II

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 18:00 as a reply to  @ EOS5DC's post |  #33

True, EM radiation is ubiquitous but sometimes it is a symptom of an underlying problem or defect.
Since it seems that nobody has reported this particular phenomenon before, I'm looking for cause(s) while there is still warranty coverage.

Ralph Eldridge

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,443 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 07, 2014 18:53 |  #34

EOS5DC wrote in post #16672126 (external link)
This is news to who, exactly? Everything that uses electricity emits RF. Yes, even your toaster.

Right; his point is, though, that if he holds his toaster next to his pager he doesn't get any response. It's quite odd that the camera is exhibiting the described behavior.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

NManuel01
750 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 07, 2014 18:59 |  #35

Id send it back and get another if that's still an option. It seems as though that pager is an important part of your job and I can see how this would bother me! Good luck, I hope you find a solution.

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 19:04 |  #36

And therein lies my point: it's odd and possibly costly so I want an answer while there's warranty coverage.

Ralph Eldridge

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,990 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 07, 2014 19:31 |  #37

LIGHTRAE wrote in post #16672287 (external link)
And therein lies my point: it's odd and possibly costly so I want an answer while there's warranty coverage.

Just make sure you develop some form of reproducible evidence of the problem and date and Canon will likely fix outside of warranty. Do you have an "official" case number with Canon? If not, document exactly what is happening in an email and send to them requesting acknowledgement.

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 07, 2014 19:57 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #38

The camera is brand new and I have been talking with Canon techs. They have never encountered this issue.
I'll be sending the camera to Canon but, as you wisely council, I want everything possible nailed down. That's why I'm picking your collective brains, to test and check everything and present a well defined case.

Ralph Eldridge

Kaoma
50 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 07, 2014 22:01 |  #39

Jumping here to help, the best I know, may be more solutions.
If you know anybody in the cell industry (Sprint, ATT, T-Mobile, Verizon) we all have spectrum analyzers and can detect, monitor, analize ALL types of RF emissions, to an 1/8" location. If you are in AZ I could help you.

jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 07, 2014 23:38 |  #40

Your original post was correct, there is an RF emission whoever is saying there is some interference is not yet proven correct.

Seems like abad shield connection internal to a grounding boundary or just a natural emission from the switching of the microprocessor/clk speed

I'll take my 6D to work on Monday and play with it on the near field probes I've got see if it sniffs anything interesting

-Jim
Canon 5D3,5D3,5D2,6D,24 f2.8 IS,35L,45 TS-E,50L,85 f1.8,70-200 f2.8L II,100L
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,687 posts
Gallery: 254 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 08, 2014 00:43 |  #41

Just another approach..... You'all been looking at the camera as the culprit. But what about the pager? Pagers are ancient technology and this one may be reacting to a totally different frequency (harmonic?) of an unavoidable low power RF radiation emitted by the camera - well within the FCC spurious emissions specifications. Have you tried it with a different pager?

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Aswald
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 08, 2014 02:06 |  #42

My 5Dc + 580ex2 flash emits enough to set off a beep on my home security system every time I press the trigger. Thought it was only mine.

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 08, 2014 03:55 as a reply to  @ Aswald's post |  #43

Does it trigger other co-workers pagers? Maybe the pager is the problem

Did you buy it locally? I think I would go to any store, fire up a a random 1DX and see if it triggers it.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

LIGHTRAE
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 08, 2014 05:28 |  #44

Gregg.Siam; it does trigger other identical pagers. Testing other cameras isn't possible. Only the largest stores would even have a 1D X in stock and none are near me. 0ther camera models are not effected.
vk2gwk; It is a chicken /egg thing. The camera is the culprit in the sense that it is emitting something which isn't evident from several other tested cameras.
I can switch to a different pager model but the camera emissions will still exist, regardless if I hear them.
The question isn't how to eliminate the emissions. The question is whether it's a symptom of some underlying problem.
Jim et al; all information is welcome. In the end, some low level RF may be normal. My case might be a one-of, unique example but symptomatic of nothing abnormal.

Ralph Eldridge

N2bnfunn
700 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 08, 2014 11:16 |  #45

I was thinking the same thing pager? Geez what year is this.. that you still have one, the reason is because they never tested a 1DX beside one, because I guess they thought it was none still around. lol

Canon 1DX Canon EOS R EF 70-200 L 2.8 EF 50mm 1.2 L 24-105 4.0 L 24-70 2.8L II Canon Pixma PRO-1 3 Canon 600EX-RT Speedlites

sponsored links

4,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
RF EMISSIONS FROM 1D X CAMERA
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.