Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 08 Feb 2014 (Saturday) 13:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Snow Photos

Bclaf
75 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 08, 2014 13:37 |  #1

Hello,

Being from Florida I've never had to work with the snow in landscapes. I'm attending school in Ohio, so this concept of photographing landscapes full of snow is new to me. I snapped this shot at a waterfall which was frozen. I was hoping it wouldn't be.

Anyway, any tips to make the snow pop out a bit without blowing highlights out and also keeping everything else exposed/colored properly? This picture is only 1 picture. In LR I honestly just played with the levels a bit to try and do it, but I'd rather get it done right in camera.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7358/12390559145_a024477446.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bclaf/123905591​45/  (external link)
Hayden Falls (external link) by Brandon Claflin (external link), on Flickr

Note: I don't have a CPL yet. Would that have helped with the glare from the snow?

Appreciate it

Brandon

Gripped 6D
Gripped Rebel T1i
Canon 24-105L/85mm f1.8/50mm f1.8
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bclaf (external link)
IG: bclaf

sponsored links
DarenM
673 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 08, 2014 13:40 |  #2

looks to me lke it is under exposed, may want to check white balance too...
the white of the snow can fool both white balance and the exposure

Canon 1D MK IV, Canon 1D MK III, Canon 5D, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS MK II, 17-40 F4 Canon, 430 EX, Canon A2E, 530EX Canon 1.4 Extender, 580 II, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, (Way too much stuff for an amateur)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 08, 2014 13:43 |  #3

Looks fine to me except the snow side is in shadow...there is no glare.
You could up the exposure in PP but I would revisit and get some light, texture and shadow on the snow.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 08, 2014 14:35 |  #4

Under exposed by nearly a full stop. Next time over expose the snow pics by nearly a full stop, problem solved.

I would expect snow is not a lot different from beach sand. The kind found in many areas of Florida.;-)a

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial​s/exposing_snow.shtml (external link)

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,832 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 08, 2014 21:59 as a reply to  @ Titus213's post |  #5

Everything is in the shade, so to me the snow looks about the way it should. I've shot a fair amount of snow stuff, I don't think you should have to alter your exposure just because it's snow, the camera accounts for that. In my last batch of photos, I did lower the wb temperature a bit on a few of the photos to make the snow a bit more blue.

I'm thinking a polarizer won't make a difference on a photo with no reflected sunlight.

Flickr (external link)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,712 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 08, 2014 22:07 |  #6

patrick j wrote in post #16674981 (external link)
I've shot a fair amount of snow stuff, I don't think you should have to alter your exposure just because it's snow, the camera accounts for that.

Exactly how does a camera know you are shooting white snow? Snow reflects more light than 18% grey.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 08, 2014 22:08 |  #7

Snow is just like sand....I too would have shot this a full stop over. A filter could be used but then you run the risk of dealing with issues brought on by the filter. Being from Alaska I had to deal with the same issue Brandon did here when I shot the beach for the first time (without a filter).

It is a beautiful shot...I am sure you can tweak it a bit to get it where you will really enjoy sharing it.

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

Bclaf
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 08, 2014 22:09 |  #8

Titus213 wrote in post #16674123 (external link)
Under exposed by nearly a full stop. Next time over expose the snow pics by nearly a full stop, problem solved.

I would expect snow is not a lot different from beach sand. The kind found in many areas of Florida.;-)a

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial​s/exposing_snow.shtml (external link)

Ah thanks! As for the exposure I probably should calibrate my monitor, a couple more pics I have taken have been said underexposed.

And I don't shoot the beaches to often, and when I have I've used fill flash since most are portraits there.

Gripped 6D
Gripped Rebel T1i

Bclaf
THREAD ­ STARTER
75 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 08, 2014 22:12 |  #9

Spike44 wrote in post #16674010 (external link)
Looks fine to me except the snow side is in shadow...there is no glare.
You could up the exposure in PP but I would revisit and get some light, texture and shadow on the snow.

How would you go about doing this? I've lowered the highlights and increased shadows, and barely added white. I did a little sharpening overall then a little brush on the snow.

I appreciate everything!

Gripped 6D
Gripped Rebel T1i

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 08, 2014 22:50 |  #10

patrick j wrote in post #16674981 (external link)
Everything is in the shade, so to me the snow looks about the way it should. I've shot a fair amount of snow stuff, I don't think you should have to alter your exposure just because it's snow, the camera accounts for that. In my last batch of photos, I did lower the wb temperature a bit on a few of the photos to make the snow a bit more blue.

I'm thinking a polarizer won't make a difference on a photo with no reflected sunlight.

A common misconception. Check the Luminous Landscape link I posted above.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 08, 2014 23:09 |  #11

Titus213 wrote in post #16675070 (external link)

+1. Of course right now looks like Florida has more snow then we do. LoL

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 09, 2014 01:30 |  #12

karobinson wrote in post #16675094 (external link)
+1. Of course right now looks like Florida has more snow then we do. LoL

Ha! So do we...unfortunately. :D

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,832 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 09, 2014 10:53 |  #13

Titus213 wrote in post #16675070 (external link)

Well, yeah but - here is one from last Sunday (just before the bronco debacle), taken with no exposure compensation. This is cropped from a larger photo. Looks about like what my eyeballs saw.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/320
Av(Aperture Value) 10
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 200
Auto ISO Speed OFF

Flickr (external link)

jimmy_racoon
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 524 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 09, 2014 11:14 as a reply to  @ patrick j's post |  #14

all good advice above...

this may also be of interest if you hadn't tried spot metering...

http://www.betterphoto​.com/article.asp?ID=26​1 (external link)

Canon 5D Mark II/BG-E6 | Canon 7D Mark II/BG-E16 | Canon EF 17-40 f/4L | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro |Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS | Canon EF 400 f/5.6L | Manfrotto 055XPROB & Element w/ RSS BH-40 | Canon 430EX II
Flickr (external link) <--Comments/Favorites welcomed
Preview your favorites as prints, canvas, metal, or framed art available at:
https://jamesstewart.d​arkroom.tech (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 09, 2014 13:20 |  #15

patrick j wrote in post #16675945 (external link)
Well, yeah but - here is one from last Sunday (just before the bronco debacle), taken with no exposure compensation. This is cropped from a larger photo. Looks about like what my eyeballs saw.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by patrick j in
./showthread.php?p=166​75945&i=i185918799
forum: Critique Corner

Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/320
Av(Aperture Value) 10
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 200
Auto ISO Speed OFF

You are certainly welcome to shoot any way you want. On this one you appear to have gotten a correct exposure although I would like to see the full frame. My advice is not to rely on one time experience but to trust the collective wisdom of years of photography by thousands, if not millions of photographers and use exposure compensation when shooting snow scenes. It's proven science. And has been for more years than I expect you've lived.

But, and this is a valid but, I have just been shooting birds in the snow. I use a 7D and have been using spot metering for the birds and the occasional squirrel. Assuming I have done my job correctly, the spot meter will ignore the snow and meter off the bird. This will give the correct exposure for the subject but the snow will be a bit bright.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.

sponsored links

2,247 views & 0 likes for this thread
Snow Photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.