Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 15:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How many of you non-professionals carry your camera with you all the time?

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,502 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Feb 07, 2014 18:15 |  #46

sjones wrote in post #16672143 (external link)
Ha! Mine is an early 1960s Soviet military shoulder bag pouch, pretty much the same design used during WWII. Actually, the camera sits in a half case, so the whole ensemble is very unobtrusive. And yes, my camera is with me much; or at least when I know I'll be outdoors for a bit, even if for just lunch.

Cool. I fitted a piece of foam in the bottom of the bag and cut out a place for the camera and lens.

sponsored links
Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,468 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 07, 2014 18:25 |  #47

alan_potter wrote in post #16672039 (external link)
PS What is it with Americans and bags? Seriously, we have to carry so much stuff around these days - why are you afraid to put it in a bag, just because women had the idea first?

The "purse" reference is from Seinfeld, by the way.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 07, 2014 18:29 as a reply to  @ post 16668983 |  #48

Ex pro here. I always carry either my EOS M with 22mm lens or my s95 with me. Easy to slip into my shoulder bag (no hipster jokes please)..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Strontium
Durr?
7,415 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 07, 2014 18:36 |  #49

I love my manbags, thank you very much.

I am I

Gomar
531 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 07, 2014 20:23 |  #50

I've missed lots of interesting shots as I didnt have my camera. Like a fish with 4 legs that walked out of the Ocean onto the beach on Coney Island. Turned out to be some Asian fish someone brought to the U.S., when it grew he threw it into the sea... and it had babies who infested the waters.

Lots of topless women walking around Coney and Brighton; but did get a few shots, like a totally nude woman who likes to swim in the Winter.

OhLook
you get what you get
19,366 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 07, 2014 20:59 |  #51

Gomar wrote in post #16672457 (external link)
Turned out to be some Asian fish someone brought to the U.S., when it grew he threw it into the sea... and it had babies who infested the waters.

Just one fish? How did it find a mate?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 07, 2014 21:17 |  #52

i have tried to carry around a camera with me at all times but already being a really big guy, i try to leave any sort of additional bulk at home.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 07, 2014 21:40 |  #53

OhLook wrote in post #16672508 (external link)
Just one fish? How did it find a mate?

Immaculate conception of course.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Yno
862 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 08, 2014 11:40 |  #54

alan_potter wrote in post #16672039 (external link)
PS What is it with Americans and bags? Seriously, we have to carry so much stuff around these days - why are you afraid to put it in a bag, just because women had the idea first?

...says the guy from a place where men wear dresses...:rolleyes:

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 08, 2014 14:23 |  #55

I got an NX300 specifically to be able to carry around a camera much more, without the bulk.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Feb 08, 2014 23:32 |  #56

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16668960 (external link)
Thanks, gonzo! CDI, I need to use the camera I have, not buy another camera.

Nah. DLSR made sense five years ago because there was no alternative to the concept of brick. Now you can get APS-c sensors in tiny package and they do 90% of what full frame does... and those you can carry with you.

I think a 6D + 24-70 is a pretty compact and lightweight kit that I can carry just about anywhere without even feeling it is on my back. I just need to find a nice and small bag that is discreet enough and doesn't scream camera bag.

It's called denial. It's nowhere near compact for everyday carry.

Here are the loose stages of the process you're going through with your DSLR:
http://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-stages-of-grief.html (external link)

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,468 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 08, 2014 23:49 |  #57

LOL... thanks for the therapy, Doc! I feel much better now! :lol:

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,234 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 08, 2014 23:54 |  #58

a7r is almost always with me.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 09, 2014 02:42 |  #59

I keep my cell phone with me.

I'm sure as hell not gonna leave my cell phone in my car while I'm at work, and the nature of my work requires me to leave my gear alone in the presenc of people who I don't trust (I don't have an office, and I have to be constantly walking around and leaving my gear unattended).

So...I mostly just walk around with my cell phone unless I'm planning to shoot. I've taken my DSLR to work a few times with no incident, but I don't make a habit of it because that's asking for trouble.

Shot4u2
988 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 09, 2014 10:10 |  #60

I try to keep it close, so it is at least within reach.
Usually it's in the truck, acclimated to the cold, and ready to go. Take it with me when I hunt and bike. Problem is the weight of the 7D and L lenses forces me to restrict myself to one lens, or lighten up on the hunting gear, and, pray I don't crash on the bicycle. Usually I have the 300mm attached, and out of the backpack, in case I run into a quick shot opportunity. And carry the lighter 100mm in my pack, in the 300mm case, for selfy shots and macro's. I can't cover the distance, to get into the frame in 10 seconds, with anything longer than 100mm. 24-70 is too heavy, unless I leave the 300 behind. So landscapes are usually out while hunting. My light weight rebel is only 6.8mp, or I would take it.
Now that hunting is over, and it's been around zero degree's out, the camera is back inside with me. I'm not going anywhere,either.

sponsored links

5,366 views & 0 likes for this thread
How many of you non-professionals carry your camera with you all the time?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.