Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 27 Jan 2014 (Monday) 19:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony troubles..

Mjkxxl
199 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2014 19:43 |  #16

Well was hoping someone to link me the new document but here is the old one (or most current from their website I should say):

http://www.sony.net …inancial/fr/13q​2_sony.pdf (external link)

The best I can understand by the document is that "image sensors" is contained under the "devices" heading as a semi-conductor.

That particular section of devices did show an increase in these figures here. What however they don't show is an actual per item breakdown of which semiconductors were more/less profitable than others. Was hoping to get a breakdown for each item itself.

It appears that their sensors helped to hold off what would have been even larger losses. Since it is profitable you would assume they will hold onto it, however if the company as a whole is having issues they might sell it off.

I really want to see their imaging numbers now that the A7 and A7r are out and have been very well received. curious how much that will offset the numbers.

-Mark
7D | 15-85mm | 100mm 2.8L Macro | 70-200mm 2.8L IS MkII | 580EX II | 600EX-RTx3

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2014 20:34 |  #17

Mjkxxl wrote in post #16645576 (external link)
I really want to see their imaging numbers now that the A7 and A7r are out and have been very well received. curious how much that will offset the numbers.

I think we'll have to wait a bit to see any impact from those two product introductions, and then I would guess it will be minimal.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 28, 2014 21:35 |  #18

rick_reno wrote in post #16645689 (external link)
I think we'll have to wait a bit to see any impact from those two product introductions, and then I would guess it will be minimal.

I would expect so.

Large sensor and high-end cameras are Sony's growth area (having surrendered TVs, monitors and the like to cheaper producers) but the bulk of sensors produced are still the small, low-end ones for compact cameras, phones, webcams, security systems, microscopes and other applications. Small sensors are dying off, with many users shifting to larger sensors as they become cheaper, but Sony's large-sensor business still needs to expand to take advantage of this shift. Certainly, having Nikon and others as clients for their large sensors helps.

Mjkxxl
199 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 28, 2014 23:18 |  #19

Shadowblade wrote in post #16645817 (external link)
I would expect so.

Large sensor and high-end cameras are Sony's growth area (having surrendered TVs, monitors and the like to cheaper producers) but the bulk of sensors produced are still the small, low-end ones for compact cameras, phones, webcams, security systems, microscopes and other applications. Small sensors are dying off, with many users shifting to larger sensors as they become cheaper, but Sony's large-sensor business still needs to expand to take advantage of this shift. Certainly, having Nikon and others as clients for their large sensors helps.

Well according to the latest earnings report I could find (linked in my post above) their entire semiconductor line is showing improvement (which includes their sensors).

Curious if they make smaller sensors that are of similar quality to their DSLR sensors and then sell them to third party manufacturers. Given how cell phones are replacing point and shoots for the most part, you would figure there would be a market here for a high quality small sensor.

-Mark
7D | 15-85mm | 100mm 2.8L Macro | 70-200mm 2.8L IS MkII | 580EX II | 600EX-RTx3

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 29, 2014 00:02 |  #20

Mjkxxl wrote in post #16646008 (external link)
Well according to the latest earnings report I could find (linked in my post above) their entire semiconductor line is showing improvement (which includes their sensors).

Curious if they make smaller sensors that are of similar quality to their DSLR sensors and then sell them to third party manufacturers. Given how cell phones are replacing point and shoots for the most part, you would figure there would be a market here for a high quality small sensor.

Sony makes the sensor for the IPhone 5S, its a good camera. Not sure how many other phones have a Sony sensor.

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 03, 2014 00:33 |  #21

They may be closing a small-camera factory, but Sony just bought a Nintendo fab plant to make large-sensor CMOS sensors:

http://www.sony.net …201401/14-016E/index.html (external link)

After all, sensors are the one area in which Sony are really doing well.

Besides, face it - no-one ever bought Sony bodies for the rest of the camera, or for the lens selection. It's all about the sensor.

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 04, 2014 13:01 |  #22

markets get flooded. times change. this is nothing new for the high tech industry.

Footbag
391 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 06, 2014 10:22 |  #23

Sony will not shut down it's sensor division. It would be spun off at worst, but that's unlikely.

Trusense now owns Kodak's sensor business. Do you think Sony would let that technology disappear? Do you think Canon or Nikon wouldn't be interested? This is business. You don't just "shut down" an asset.

Adam
My Astrophoto Gallery (external link)
The Astro Imaging Channel (external link)

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 06, 2014 21:29 |  #24

1Tanker wrote in post #16643263 (external link)
Nikon.. be scared.. be vary scared! :lol::

Nikon makes some of their own sensors as well. D4/Df are Nikon sensors and quite highly rated.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,408 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 09, 2014 03:57 |  #25

Sony is selling PC brand Vaio to lennovo

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 09, 2014 04:00 |  #26

tonyniev wrote in post #16675398 (external link)
Sony is selling PC brand Vaio to lennovo

They are also cutting down their TV-production and expanding their sensor-production.

All is well.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,408 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 09, 2014 04:05 |  #27

Good to know I just got the A7r last Thursday.

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 14, 2014 18:34 |  #28

Shadowblade wrote in post #16645556 (external link)
I don't hold any Sony stock myself, but my brother (based out of a different part of of the country, and 3000km away) does.

sad that a proud company that made walkman headphones is now going bankrupt

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 14, 2014 21:20 |  #29

tonyniev wrote in post #16675403 (external link)
Good to know I just got the A7r last Thursday.

If there's one section of Sony that will survive, it's the digital imaging division - it's the only part that's doing well and expanding, because it's the only part that makes cutting-edge equipment that can't be easily copied and mass-produced at a satisfactory quality and lower price point (e.g. like TVs and microwaves) by a factory in China.

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 15, 2014 09:49 |  #30

Shadowblade wrote in post #16690259 (external link)
If there's one section of Sony that will survive, it's the digital imaging division - it's the only part that's doing well and expanding, because it's the only part that makes cutting-edge equipment that can't be easily copied and mass-produced at a satisfactory quality and lower price point (e.g. like TVs and microwaves) by a factory in China.

until the Chinese copy it

sponsored links

6,058 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony troubles..
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.