Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 09 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 11:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Zoos

cdiver2
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 09, 2014 11:56 |  #1

I have said for a long time that zoos are a business and refused to go to them, even to get photos of animals I would like to get and this has really turned me against them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/n​ews/world-europe-26098935 (external link)

sponsored links
LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 09, 2014 12:03 |  #2

Sad. And the picture at the end is disturbing...

"Visitors, including children, were invited to watch while the giraffe was dissected and fed to the lions"

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 09, 2014 14:42 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #3

I wonder what they'll do when the Zoo Director becomes redundant.

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 09, 2014 16:32 |  #4

Distasteful...perhaps. I don't think one can 'turn their backs' on zoo's in general. W/out them many endangered species would be in far worse shape.

I would have been more upset if they had simply put the giraffe in the lion pen w/out killing it before hand. That would have been barbaric.

Circle of life and all that.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2014 14:06 as a reply to  @ CMfromIL's post |  #5

Let's not marginalize lion opinion. Lions approve of giraffe eugenics.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

cdiver2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 10, 2014 15:02 |  #6

And yet another http://www.bbc.co.uk …ngland-wiltshire-26115468 (external link) Marginalize, Can not turn our backs on zoos, perhaps we should.

Tedder
380 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2014 19:56 |  #7

cdiver2 wrote in post #16679158 (external link)
...uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-26115468….

Hmmm. If they feed inbred "baby" giraffes to the lions, to which species do they feed the inbred lions?

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 10, 2014 20:26 |  #8

Zoos are trying to maintain a limited genetic base of animals and if one is found to have a genetic defect they can't breed the animal and pass that along. They have extremely limited resources and aren't able to keep a spot for an animal that cannot assist in the preservation of the species. The Zoo followed guidance of the International bodies that establish these rules and standards.

Their biggest mistake was telling the public what they were doing. They would behave been better served to just pull the "He died suddenly during the night" line like the rest of them do.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

michelleannB
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 10, 2014 23:38 |  #9

I understand how you feel. But, you have to respect the rules and regulations in the zoo. They might just think of the animals there if they are not used to the flash of light the camera can produce. Think of the animals in the zoo instead. You can enjoy the scenery even without their photos.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,374 posts
Gallery: 219 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 11, 2014 08:01 |  #10

michelleannB wrote in post #16680187 (external link)
I understand how you feel. But, you have to respect the rules and regulations in the zoo. They might just think of the animals there if they are not used to the flash of light the camera can produce. Think of the animals in the zoo instead. You can enjoy the scenery even without their photos.

What does this have to do with the topic of the thread?

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 22:19 |  #11

cdiver2 wrote in post #16676080 (external link)
I have said for a long time that zoos are a business and refused to go to them, even to get photos of animals I would like to get and this has really turned me against them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/n​ews/world-europe-26098935 (external link)

I'm not familiar with the Copenhagen Zoo, but I'm assuming that it's considered one of the "good" ones.

Anyway, stuff like this doesn't concern me that much. I've got nothing against animals, but some animals can't go back into the wild and there's limited space and resources at zoos that needs to be reserved for more suitable animals. As much as I hate to say it, some animals are just going to have to die. At least this one apparently has breeding programs going on and is looking towards the conservation of species.

What gets me are the really BAD zoos. You're right, zoos are a business, and there are a lot of them out there that not only have to kill animals but can't even provide humane conditions for the animals that they have. There aren't even any breeding programs going on there because they can't afford it and they can't afford to hire qualified people who know what they're doing.

Clean ­ Gene
Goldmember
1,014 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 22:31 |  #12

cdiver2 wrote in post #16679158 (external link)
And yet another http://www.bbc.co.uk …ngland-wiltshire-26115468 (external link) Marginalize, Can not turn our backs on zoos, perhaps we should.

I understand the raw emotions here. Yeah, it's eugenics, and killing off animals because of genetic imperfections. That SHOULD clearly remind people about the horrors of the holocaust. And yes, in a perfect world, these animals wouldn't have had to die.

But my question is, if that's so bad, then what exactly should be done with these animals? The zoo doesn't have unlimited space and resources, that's the reality of the situation. And I'm assuming that these animals are unsuitable to be released back into the wild. So what else is there to do besides either keep that animal and potentially compromise their breeding program, or basically give the animal away to a backwater "zoo" that'll keep the animal alive in bad conditions because they simply don't have the funds to properly care for it?

What if all zoos were to go away? What would happen to the animals? I suspect that pretty much ALL of the animals would end up dying (many in a MUCH more inhumane way), and then we'd also lose the benefit of the actual breeding programs that do go on at the ("good") zoos.

And as ugly as this sounds, I have to say it. For some zoos, conservation of the species is actually one of their goals. And when you're dealing with conserving a species that is threatened with extinction, eugenics WILL come into play. I honestly don't think that anyone WANTS this giraffe to die, but realistically what are the other alternatives and are they any better than humanely putting the animal down?

EDIT: But on the other hand, of COURSE I'd say that. What else would you expect from someone who self-applied the name "Clean Gene"?

Gungnir
693 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 13, 2014 04:26 |  #13

The only thing they did wrong was to publicise it.

Steve
'Be the person your dog thinks you are'
#freetommy

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,902 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 22, 2014 07:44 as a reply to  @ Gungnir's post |  #14

Saying all zoos are bad is like saying all photographers are creepy.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 22, 2014 08:55 |  #15

hes gone wrote in post #16708502 (external link)
=he's gone;16708502]Saying all zoos are bad is like saying all photographers are creepy.

Well....

And your point is?

sponsored links

2,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zoos
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.