Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which Joystick/Pistol-Grip Head?"
Manfrotto 322RC2
20%
Manfrotto 327RC2
20%
Other joystick head
60%

5 voters, 5 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pistol-Grip Ball Heads 322RC2 OR 327RC2

NotBlake
212 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 09, 2014 16:10 |  #1

... or any others that you guys would recommend? I've decided that I really want to move to a joystick/pistol-grip ball head and am wondering which of these you guys would recommend?

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 09, 2014 16:15 |  #2

What do you expect to mount on such a head?

I have tried both types of Manfrotto pistol grip heads and don't like either one worth a hoot. I do have some rather heavy body/lens combinations, though.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sawsedge
802 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 09, 2014 16:29 |  #3

None. They are never strong enough. They are too tall, making compositions more difficult, not to mention putting even more stress on the device when off-center.

And how will you control the camera? Nifty idea that for me just could never work. It's easy enough to twist a knob or a lever instead.

- John

NotBlake
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 09, 2014 16:52 |  #4

SkipD wrote in post #16676613 (external link)
What do you expect to mount on such a head?

I have tried both types of Manfrotto pistol grip heads and don't like either one worth a hoot. I do have some rather heavy body/lens combinations, though.

My heaviest camera/lens combo is 4lbs 12oz: 5D2 + 200mm f2.8 L II

My average is around 4lbs even.

NotBlake
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 09, 2014 16:57 |  #5

sawsedge wrote in post #16676643 (external link)
None. They are never strong enough. They are too tall, making compositions more difficult, not to mention putting even more stress on the device when off-center.

And how will you control the camera? Nifty idea that for me just could never work. It's easy enough to twist a knob or a lever instead.

Hey John, maybe I'm not describing them properly, but the models I'm looking at are no taller than a typical ball head.

IMAGE: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/2747/product_image/thm/t320x320_8bebc7b92d79af67a72b4787aad023de.jpg?1391796835

Edit: I suppose these are called grip-ball heads - I see what you mean about joystick heads: 5.5lb working load, no thanks.

The two I'm looking at are rated at 11 and 12 pound capacities respectively. The 13lb-capacity 496RC2 I use currently is sufficiently strong to hold my equipment. Do you have first-hand experience with either of these two ballheads?

"And how will you control the camera?" - not sure what you are refering to with this? The camera is not controlled any differently than with a regular head type - I wouldn't be using this for video panning if that's what you mean.

Thanks for you input.

-Blake

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 09, 2014 19:15 |  #6

NotBlake wrote in post #16676689 (external link)
My heaviest camera/lens combo is 4lbs 12oz: 5D2 + 200mm f2.8 L II

My average is around 4lbs even.

not 100% sure which model manfrotto joystick i had, but i think it was the 322RC2. anyway, it couldn't even hold my 40d + 24-105. if it's angled just a bit, the whole thing would drop down. there's no way in hell it would support the 200mm. really a piece of sht.

you're probably better off with a high quality ballhead or whatever else you like.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sawsedge
802 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 09, 2014 19:19 |  #7

That's a little different. I don't have experience with those personally, thought you meant the tall pistol grips. I tried one of those once in a store; steered well clear after that.

As far as controlling the camera, I mean that I don't see an easy way to pan, taking pictures of moving objects. I find it easy enough to loosen the ballhead with a standard knob and hold the camera with my right hand, and zoom with the left. If you are just doing stills then it isn't a big deal.

- John

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Feb 10, 2014 07:15 |  #8

NotBlake wrote in post #16676696 (external link)
Hey John, maybe I'm not describing them properly, but the models I'm looking at are no taller than a typical ball head.

QUOTED IMAGE

Blake, the side-grip ball head takes up one heck of a lot of space when storing or carrying a tripod. In addition, I find it very awkward to require one hand to be on the handle. A tripod with a conventional ball head is smaller and easier to pack or carry (especially across your back with a strap).

I prefer to use a conventional ball head because I can simply set the drag on the ball to allow me to position the camera with two hands and then I reach down and tighten the ball when I've got the camera in position.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 10, 2014 07:47 |  #9

None. They're not good: slipping, sagging, drooping, you name it, they have it.

But if you absolutely must have one, then the one with the highest load rating.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Jptenberg
224 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 10, 2014 10:14 |  #10

Stay away from those heads. They suck. Just get a quality ball head and don't bother with the grip-type heads, they don't work for a crap.

5D3 | 7D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200L IS II | 100-400L | 24LII | TS-E 24LII | 100L | 135L | 15-85 | Zeiss 50 1.4 | Tokina 11-16 | 580EXII | 430 EXII | Gitzo 3541LS | RRS Leveling base | Arca-Swiss Z1 | RRS Lever Clamp | Gitzo 2542T | Acratech GP-s | RRS TFA-01 with BH-25LR | B+W MRC CP Filters | Hoya ND Filters | Clik-Elite packs | Crumpler bags

NotBlake
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 10, 2014 10:17 as a reply to  @ Jptenberg's post |  #11

Thanks for the input guys. Really like the concept - wish someone would come up with a decent one.

Best,

-Blake

sponsored links

4,468 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pistol-Grip Ball Heads 322RC2 OR 327RC2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.