Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about Paypal "gift" and user account? Help please...

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 07, 2014 13:23 |  #16

moose10101 wrote in post #16671339 (external link)
AKA "people who pay for services rendered".

It's laughable that, in a community that is so often the victim of uncompensated use of property/services, there would be so many who think nothing of doing the exact same thing whenever they see the opportunity. And then brag about it.

The service rendered is their buyer protection. If you don't pay, you don't get it.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,727 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 07, 2014 13:45 |  #17

brettjrob wrote in post #16671389 (external link)
The service rendered is their buyer protection. If you don't pay, you don't get it.

Right, and they just move the money around for you for free because of your sparkling personality.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,890 posts
Gallery: 191 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2014 13:55 |  #18

brettjrob wrote in post #16671389 (external link)

They offer more than that. They allow people to pay each other remotely using a variety of payment methods. They are deserving of a fee.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,356 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 09, 2014 11:31 |  #19

brettjrob wrote in post #16671286 (external link)
I don't understand the risk of accepting a gift payment as a seller. It's the buyer's choice to forgo the protections associated with PayPal. Is there any circumstance under which funds that have been transferred to your account can later be retracted by PayPal?

To the OP, I would submit that the replies in this thread come disproportionately from sticklers who don't represent the buying/selling community as a whole. It is up to the buyer and seller to choose how the transaction is carried out, and there's nothing wrong with using the Gift option if both sides agree. Personally, I would almost never choose to do it as a buyer. But, as a seller, I've accepted gift payments on multiple occasions and both parties were more than happy in the end.

the only way i think it could be bad to get paid thru gift is if the account is somehow hacked, and it's later revealed after you've sent the lens off...do they refund the hacked account? i'm not sure how that would work out...but i think the majority of posts missed that the op is the seller in this situation, and not the buyer...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 09, 2014 17:25 |  #20

DreDaze wrote in post #16676029 (external link)
the only way i think it could be bad to get paid thru gift is if the account is somehow hacked, and it's later revealed after you've sent the lens off...do they refund the hacked account? i'm not sure how that would work out...but i think the majority of posts missed that the op is the seller in this situation, and not the buyer...

I recall a post (may have been on FM) about that sort of situation. Seller got paid via Gift, but Buyer then proved his account was hacked. Since if was a gift -- not payment for an item -- PayPal refunded it as it was not legitimate. And the seller had no way to get his item back.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2014 20:38 as a reply to  @ post 16671339 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Can anyone offer some real life examples in which using a regular paypal has protected the buyers from being scammed? As far as I know, in Ebay, you as a buyer will certainly be protected. Outside of ebay? Show me some examples. Don't start with me about this paypal fee crap here. As soon as you ask the buyer to pay for the fee, they want to lowball you. I wish people would make up their minds....you know...:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 06:20 |  #22

This thread is filled with people trying to defend inappropriate use of PayPal's services. Really a bunch of idiots! They will be the first ones to start a ranting thread because a Boyscout used one of their photos on a blog and didn't compensate them. Do you think all the credit card companies (that's MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express in the US) just give away their services to merchants? Do you see signs in stores or online that say "+3%" if paying by credit card and ohh, by the way, we only take credit cards"? NO! Why, because they are running a business, like a business instead of a bake sale. 3% is pretty fair price too. Anyone selling at Art Fairs and swiping cards to sell is paying 2.7% for that service. It's a cost of doing business. The "gift" and "+3%" sellers are over there at the garage sale across the street at the crack house. Yea, they got buyer protection for ya!

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

DreDaze
18,356 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 10, 2014 09:43 |  #23

Shane W wrote in post #16677951 (external link)
This thread is filled with people trying to defend inappropriate use of PayPal's services. Really a bunch of idiots! They will be the first ones to start a ranting thread because a Boyscout used one of their photos on a blog and didn't compensate them. Do you think all the credit card companies (that's MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express in the US) just give away their services to merchants? Do you see signs in stores or online that say "+3%" if paying by credit card and ohh, by the way, we only take credit cards"? NO! Why, because they are running a business, like a business instead of a bake sale. 3% is pretty fair price too. Anyone selling at Art Fairs and swiping cards to sell is paying 2.7% for that service. It's a cost of doing business. The "gift" and "+3%" sellers are over there at the garage sale across the street at the crack house. Yea, they got buyer protection for ya!

if paypal doesn't want people to use paypal gift, they should get rid of it

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,890 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 10, 2014 09:48 |  #24

DreDaze wrote in post #16678301 (external link)
if paypal doesn't want people to use paypal gift, they should get rid of it

Perhaps Paypal wants it to be used for actual gifts. Just a thought that they might want to keep the ability for it to be used for the purpose designed and not for fraudulent sales payments.

DreDaze
18,356 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 10, 2014 09:54 |  #25

gonzogolf wrote in post #16678317 (external link)
Perhaps Paypal wants it to be used for actual gifts. Just a thought that they might want to keep the ability for it to be used for the purpose designed and not for fraudulent sales payments.

perhaps...but i'm sure they know that they are opening themselves up to fraudulent sales...and i'd think if it was something where they suspected more fraudulent sales than actual legit gift payments were happening they would/could get rid of it...or make it tighter...i'm not sure the point of gift originally as i've never used it...but i would assume it's some sort of family payment kind of thing...so make it so they have to actually be related

all i'm saying is that i think if paypal was having a big problem with this kind of stuff they would do something to change it

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,890 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 10, 2014 10:01 |  #26

DreDaze wrote in post #16678335 (external link)
perhaps...but i'm sure they know that they are opening themselves up to fraudulent sales...and i'd think if it was something where they suspected more fraudulent sales than actual legit gift payments were happening they would/could get rid of it...or make it tighter...i'm not sure the point of gift originally as i've never used it...but i would assume it's some sort of family payment kind of thing...so make it so they have to actually be related

all i'm saying is that i think if paypal was having a big problem with this kind of stuff they would do something to change it

This is akin to saying if stores have enough problem with shoplifters they should take more aggressive measures to stop them. But if they don't, it must not be such a big deal.

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 10, 2014 10:09 |  #27

DreDaze, you are wrong on all levels here and should just stop before your foot goes further down your throat.

A person has to go to Paypal and create an account. the government has not forced you to. the person creating an account has to agree to the terms and conditions. Those terms state that the gift option is not meant for merchandise. It is clearly spelled out. It is meant for people to transfer money from family members or other people who simply need to pay something off or GIFT money. If you cannot live up to what you have agreed to contractually, then don't use the service.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 10:22 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

mikeinctown wrote in post #16678372 (external link)
DreDaze, you are wrong on all levels here and should just stop before your foot goes further down your throat.

A person has to go to Paypal and create an account. the government has not forced you to. the person creating an account has to agree to the terms and conditions. Those terms state that the gift option is not meant for merchandise. It is clearly spelled out. It is meant for people to transfer money from family members or other people who simply need to pay something off or GIFT money. If you cannot live up to what you have agreed to contractually, then don't use the service.

Ah, there lies the problems. :) What difference does it make on PayPal if you are transferring money to pay for goods versus transferring money to someone as gifts? Some of you argues that the fees are like insurance against frauds but are there real life experiences to backup that claim? How does PayPal enforce their protections? Transferring money on both situations would require no more efforts than one and the other on PayPal.

On the other than, on ebay, I can see PayPal has a lot of controls to protect the buyers. And the fees are even more ridiculous. You will lose out total of 13% of your sales.

Facebook (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,727 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 10, 2014 10:26 |  #29

TooManyShots wrote in post #16677227 (external link)
Don't start with me about this paypal fee crap here.

So you're going to fish for reasons not to pay the fee? Don't start. Some people can justify anything.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 10:37 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

moose10101 wrote in post #16678414 (external link)
So you're going to fish for reasons not to pay the fee? Don't start. Some people can justify anything.

Is the truth. :) If I want to pay the fee, I would sell on Ebay. Let me put it this way, if you add the fee to your selling price and you are only getting lowball offers, your paypal fee isn't just 3% anymore. More like 4% to 5%.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,794 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about Paypal "gift" and user account? Help please...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.