Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 04 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question about Paypal "gift" and user account? Help please...

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 11:19 |  #31

Time for mods to step up the plate and remove any and all ads asking for payment as "gift". By NOT removing or warning sellers, they become complicit by allowing this that is clearly against PayPals TOS agreement. Make a list of all posters here too that are defending the gift and don't buy from them! Others can also report posts asking for gift to mods since that would be concidered inappropriate. Also send links to paypal and they can close accounts for not minding their TOS.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 11:29 |  #32
bannedPermanent ban

Shane W wrote in post #16678547 (external link)
Time for mods to step up the plate and remove any and all ads asking for payment as "gift". By NOT removing or warning sellers, they become complicit by allowing this that is clearly against PayPals TOS agreement. Make a list of all posters here too that are defending the gift and don't buy from them! Others can also report posts asking for gift to mods since that would be concidered inappropriate. Also send links to paypal and they can close accounts for not minding their TOS.

Is not going to happen. It is more like sell and trade at your own risks.... I have no problems with the paypal fee as long as people don't lowball. This is why I have been liking Ebay so much. The fee is high but you don't need to deal with lowball offers. Everyone knows the average selling price of a particular item and to bid accordingly.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 11:52 |  #33

TooManyShots wrote in post #16678444 (external link)
Is the truth. :) If I want to pay the fee, I would sell on Ebay. Let me put it this way, if you add the fee to your selling price and you are only getting lowball offers, your paypal fee isn't just 3% anymore. More like 4% to 5%.

Wouldn't an offer have to be accepted first? Nobody is forcing you to accept lowballs.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 11:55 |  #34
bannedPermanent ban

Shane W wrote in post #16678639 (external link)
Thanks for removing all my posts from this thread! Why not remove sellers asking for gift payment when it is clearly against PayPals user agreement then? I will now send links to paypal of those requesting a gift payment as a method of paying for merchandise! I've sent 6 already today. Rules are rules, right? Abide.

Buyers have the right to pay with paypal gift or not and so as sellers have the right to accept payments with paypal gift or not. Personally, I am just skeptical about the whole regular paypal outside of ebay would offer the same fraud and scam protections as in Ebay. No one has cited even one real life example as to how paying with the regular Paypal outside of Ebay can still protect them.

Facebook (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 11:56 |  #35

DreDaze wrote in post #16678335 (external link)
perhaps...but i'm sure they know that they are opening themselves up to fraudulent sales...and i'd think if it was something where they suspected more fraudulent sales than actual legit gift payments were happening they would/could get rid of it...or make it tighter...i'm not sure the point of gift originally as i've never used it...but i would assume it's some sort of family payment kind of thing...so make it so they have to actually be related

all i'm saying is that i think if paypal was having a big problem with this kind of stuff they would do something to change it

Just like gun manufacturers... If they thought their product was used to kill people, they would just do away with the product then based on this wisdom, right? Right.

Shane W

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 11:57 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

Shane W wrote in post #16678656 (external link)
Wouldn't an offer have to be accepted first? Nobody is forcing you to accept lowballs.

Right....and I ended up selling my stuff on Ebay. :)

Facebook (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 12:01 |  #37

TooManyShots wrote in post #16678673 (external link)
Buyers have the right to pay with paypal gift or not and so as sellers have the right to accept payments with paypal gift or not. Personally, I am just skeptical about the whole regular paypal outside of ebay would offer the same fraud and scam protections as in Ebay. No one has cited even one real life example as to how paying with the regular Paypal outside of Ebay can still protect them.

There is no "right" to pay for merchandise with gift payment. It's against PayPals terms of service. You should maybe read PayPals TOS agreement and also look up what buyer protection is afforded when one complies with said TOS.

Shane W

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 10, 2014 12:03 |  #38

TooManyShots wrote in post #16677227 (external link)
Can anyone offer some real life examples in which using a regular paypal has protected the buyers from being scammed?

Using regular paypal and your credit card will give the buyer protection as the credit card will back you if paypal does not. You cannot use gift with a credit card, sending gift is like sticking cash in envelop and hoping for the best.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 10, 2014 12:06 |  #39
bannedPermanent ban

Shane W wrote in post #16678690 (external link)
There is no "right" to pay for merchandise with gift payment. It's against PayPals terms of service. You should maybe read PayPals TOS agreement and also look up what buyer protection is afforded when one complies with said TOS.

What are you, do you work for Ebay??? :) Is people's money. They have the right on how to transfer their money anyway they want. Regular PayPal or gifts would not require PayPal to handle the transaction any more differently...other than the alleged insurance against frauds. Cite me one example how this insurance protect the buyers or sellers. This is like beating a dead horse now. I am done.

Facebook (external link)

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 10, 2014 12:57 |  #40

TooManyShots wrote in post #16678408 (external link)
Ah, there lies the problems. :) What difference does it make on PayPal if you are transferring money to pay for goods versus transferring money to someone as gifts? Some of you argues that the fees are like insurance against frauds but are there real life experiences to backup that claim? How does PayPal enforce their protections? Transferring money on both situations would require no more efforts than one and the other on PayPal.

On the other than, on ebay, I can see PayPal has a lot of controls to protect the buyers. And the fees are even more ridiculous. You will lose out total of 13% of your sales.

It matters to them. It is their business and you have agreed to their terms when you signed up. It also matters to them because on the off chance that something goes wrong and they have to reimburse a user for a failed transaction, those fees make up the monies lost. their fees also make it so they can have a staff on hand to support their infrastructure and business. If you don't like their contract and cannot live with it, then feel free to go somewhere else or start up your own processing company in which you have invested millions of dollars and would welcome people who wish to avoid paying you a small fee when providing them a service.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,725 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 10, 2014 12:58 |  #41

TooManyShots wrote in post #16678673 (external link)
Buyers have the right to pay with paypal gift or not and so as sellers have the right to accept payments with paypal gift or not.

Who bestowed this "right" on buyers and sellers?

Look, you don't like PayPal or eBay. DON'T USE THEM. Problem solved.

moose10101
registered smartass
1,725 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 10, 2014 13:01 |  #42

duane0524 wrote in post #16678697 (external link)
You cannot use gift with a credit card

Actually, you can; the fee is paid by the sender (aka the "buyer" on this forum):

https://www.paypal.com​/us/webapps/mpp/paypal​-fees (external link)

Skip ­ Souza
Cream of the Crop
26,204 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 10, 2014 13:10 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #43

POTN does NOT enforce the terms of service for PayPal or any other institution, bank or organization other than the rules of copyright infringement.

It is the responsibility for each member to conduct his business in a lawful and prudent manner.

I also advise you all to take special note of the penultimate paragraph of the Forum Rules of Use.

Briefly stated; Public negative comments on Moderator actions or decisions is highly frowned upon.

On a personal note, I believe that anyone using PayPal Gift to avoid paying the PayPal is suspect for their deceitful behavior. I would not risk dealing with that person but the choice is yours.

Bless the recently fallen and their family and friends.
I have a Cannon with me at all times. You can't take the shot if you don't have something with which to shoot. :rolleyes:
That which does not kill me ~~ Should Run.
5DMkII, 7D, 70-300L IS, 24-105L,
No more PayPal gift payment requests.
"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."

brettjrob
Dr. Goodness PHD
470 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 10, 2014 13:38 |  #44

Shane W wrote in post #16678547 (external link)

Get a grip.

You can tilt at windmills all day, but the reality is this: browse the FS listings here or at FM, and a large percentage offer PP gift as an option. If you want to ban everyone who's ever mentioned, "defended," or engaged in that practice, the used marketplace is going to dry up pretty fast.

Again, to the OP and anyone else who's new to the Buy/Sell forums: posts like Shane's represent a vocal but small minority. There may be some moral gray area in using PayPal "Gift," but in practice it's quite common and should NOT be viewed as a red flag about the seller (or buyer). Don't believe me? Check the listings for yourself.

Nikon D610, D5100
Samyang 14/2.8 | Nikon 18-35G, 24-85G VR, 70-200/4G VR

Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | skyinmotion.com (external link)
Feedback

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 10, 2014 14:23 |  #45

moose10101 wrote in post #16678849 (external link)
Actually, you can; the fee is paid by the sender (aka the "buyer" on this forum):

https://www.paypal.com​/us/webapps/mpp/paypal​-fees (external link)

Well I don't consider that a gift because why would you pay the fee than remove the security the fee gives you.

This alone could be a reason not to accept gift paymet. A buyer could do this then request a charge back from their credit card. Makes me wonder of how safe gift is if it is not a gift.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

sponsored links

4,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question about Paypal "gift" and user account? Help please...
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.