Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 10 Feb 2014 (Monday) 09:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best "filter" for outdoors (UV or ND)??

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2014 09:01 |  #1

Would a Neutral Density filter be better for outdoors than a UV filter?

I typically use a UV filter when outdoors, especially beaches, but wondered if instead of a UV filter if I would be best served with a ND filter?

Insight please as I've never used a ND filter.

*An ND would be great as it allows for slower shutter speeds and/or larger Aperture, but what about late evening shots or if using a flash?

Thanks,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 10, 2014 09:33 |  #2

You use an ND filter when you need its functionality; otherwise, leave it off. I would only use a UV filter in conditions where the lens needs some additional protection (like the beach you mention). Normally I don't use any filters on the front of any of my lenses, because I don't want to add a non-functional layer of glass in the optical path.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,316 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 10, 2014 09:56 |  #3

As mentioned above an ND filter has a specific purpose, generally to extend the exposure time, either to blur motion or lower the overall exposure to allow slow enough shutter speeds to sync flash. For a digital camera there is no need for a UV filter. It might offer some degree of protection in a sand storm or in sea mist but generally you dont even need one for protection. But you dont need any filter outside just to add a filter.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,378 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 10, 2014 11:15 |  #4

That's a little like asking "What's the best color paint?" Well, it depends on your needs.

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 10, 2014 11:52 |  #5

UV filters make great, if expensive, drink coasters. T

he only filters I carry are a good CPL, and a VND (for long exposures). If you want to protect the lens front element...that is why we have lens hoods.

sawsedge
815 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 10, 2014 12:57 |  #6

If you are going to be in a dusty or wet environment, then a UV or clear filter will help seal some lenses. I have used UV filters to keep little fingerprints off the front element. Canon says that a filter is required to complete the seal on a few of their Ls.

A ND just reduces the amount of light reaching the film/sensor, allowing longer exposures.

In general, I don't use any filters. I sometimes find a CPL or ND useful depending on the subject matter.

- John

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2014 13:10 as a reply to  @ sawsedge's post |  #7

Well that's my point guys.

I've always used a UV filter for simple protection but I've never had an issue because I'm overly conscious of my gear and as I always use a lens hood.

I now just use a UV filter when at the beach because of the sand; so wondered if I would be better served in using an ND filter instead? That would allow me to use a slower shutter speed when "outdoors" which would work better with flash, correct?

Would you consider using an ND filter as such or would you still limit it to only certain specific shots?

Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,602 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 10, 2014 13:16 |  #8

Though I am strongly in the no filter camp, the beach is one place I will use a filter especially if there is a strong off-shore wind. It's so much easier to clean off a filter than my lens.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sawsedge
815 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 10, 2014 13:27 |  #9

Ralph,

If you are using flash in bright light as fill, you can use ND to get within sync speed. I assume you want to use a lens wide open. You can also use high speed sync modes with some flashes. Lots of variables there, I don't think anyone can give you a hard-and-fast rule.

- John

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,316 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 10, 2014 13:48 |  #10

Ralph III wrote in post #16678872 (external link)
Well that's my point guys.

I've always used a UV filter for simple protection but I've never had an issue because I'm overly conscious of my gear and as I always use a lens hood.

I now just use a UV filter when at the beach because of the sand; so wondered if I would be better served in using an ND filter instead? That would allow me to use a slower shutter speed when "outdoors" which would work better with flash, correct?

Would you consider using an ND filter as such or would you still limit it to only certain specific shots?

Ralph

Only if you have a specific need to lower your shutter speed. And then which ND to get? Its like driving around with 300 pounds of sand in the back of your car year around for that one snowy day when you might need it. By all means if you need an ND filter get one, but dont do it with the assumption you will leave it on all the time.

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2014 20:04 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #11

Thanks for the input guys!

I think I'm just going to keep the UV filter for the beach and then purchase an ND filter for those specific and desired shots. I was just trying to avoid having unnecessary gear but that's like attempting to get rid of a tool in your tool box, only to later need it.:oops:

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,244 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 10, 2014 20:31 |  #12

3 stop ND at the beach has been very useful. Extends my shooting by half hour or more. If you're not into sunsets/beachscapes and dont shoot fast primes, stick with hoya HD UV filters.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 10, 2014 21:30 |  #13

Ralph III wrote in post #16678872 (external link)

Ralph

In full sun at ISO 100, you would ordinarily need to use an aperture of f/11 to obtain a "flash-compatible" shutter speed of 1/250. A three-stop ND would allow you to open the aperture to f/4 while maintaining the same shutter speed, if desired. I'm guessing you're only occasionally shooting in full midday sun, so you may want less than 3 stops of neutral density. A circular polarizer may be a better choice, as it "darkens" the exposure by about 1.5 stops and can cut down on glare, enhance colors, etc. Whether you opt for an ND filter or C.Pol, definitely invest in B+W or a similar quality filter - it's worth it.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

Nathan
So boring
7,735 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 11, 2014 09:56 |  #14

jt354 wrote in post #16679982 (external link)
In full sun at ISO 100, you would ordinarily need to use an aperture of f/11 to obtain a "flash-compatible" shutter speed of 1/250. A three-stop ND would allow you to open the aperture to f/4 while maintaining the same shutter speed, if desired. I'm guessing you're only occasionally shooting in full midday sun, so you may want less than 3 stops of neutral density. A circular polarizer may be a better choice, as it "darkens" the exposure by about 1.5 stops and can cut down on glare, enhance colors, etc. Whether you opt for an ND filter or C.Pol, definitely invest in B+W or a similar quality filter - it's worth it.

Another option worth mentioning is also the high-speed sync of the speedlite. That will allow the OP to use the flash for fill light and obtain shutter speeds greater than 1/250 even at large apertures. Then he could use FEC to compensate for flash output.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

2,233 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best "filter" for outdoors (UV or ND)??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.