Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 11 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 07:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

That's it Facebook, I'm done

igora90
923 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 11, 2014 07:16 |  #1

At least for me, it's now time to put more effort into other social media platforms and let Facebook play their fun little game alone.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=oVfHeWTKjag&s​ns=tw (external link)

2x Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135 F/2.0
www.iirorautiainen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 11, 2014 07:26 |  #2

The number of clients I'm getting from FB is going up... and I'm not spending a cent. I see no reason at all to leave :)

Peter

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 11, 2014 07:40 |  #3

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16680681 (external link)
The number of clients I'm getting from FB is going up... and I'm not spending a cent. I see no reason at all to leave :)

+1.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Indicolite
79 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 11, 2014 07:45 |  #4

I figured. I was an admin of a facebook page once. One of the other admins paid a small amount for advertising and we all noticed engagement go DOWN as a result. The point here is don't pay. If you want to advertise on facebook put in the time to personally reach out to friends of friends, share links on other sites, and encourage the people who already like your page to share it.

Moin
626 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 11, 2014 07:45 |  #5

The reason why most of people are getting frustrated is because Facebook is become greedy day by day. They're showing your updates to 10% of even less number of your actual fans. They require you to pay them to show to people who've already liked your page.

Lisa (ljholloway photography), reputed member of POTN, even is not happy with this. > https://www.facebook.c​om …73767257526?str​eam_ref=10 (external link) <

Edit: Saw the youtube video, this guy is right. I run several pages, even on one of my 1.2M fans page the engagement is crap.

flickrr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 11, 2014 08:01 |  #6

Moin wrote in post #16680728 (external link)
The reason why most of people are getting frustrated is because Facebook is become greedy day by day. They're showing your updates to 10% of even less number of your actual fans. They require you to pay them to show to people who've already liked your page.

Lisa (ljholloway photography), reputed member of POTN, even is not happy with this. > https://www.facebook.c​om …73767257526?str​eam_ref=10 (external link) <

The people who aren't happy about it haven't yet figured out how to use Facebook differently. I've seen post after post in groups and forums moaning about the changes. The people who don't know what to do are approaching how to use Facebook very one dimensionally... lacking innovation or creative approaches which involve thinking outside the box.

Personally I set up a strategy a couple of years ago in anticipation of charges. The fact that post visibility has gone down doesn't faze me in the slightest. It was always going to happen. (And no I won't be sharing what I do on this occasion).

Peter

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 11, 2014 09:32 |  #7

Facebook is just proving that you need to generate genuine content that engages people. No one cares about boring content.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2014 09:44 |  #8

Even if Facebook engagement is down, it is still the best social media solution for me because my customers feel more comfortable messaging me on FB for bookings. Its reasonable to explore all types of marketing, but FB and all other successful businesses need to constantly evolve and implement new revenue streams.

If anything, FB are the model of business revenue and evolution that should be an inspiration for your own success.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 11, 2014 09:50 |  #9

The great thing is the more togs there are who throw their teddies out of the pram and leave the better it becomes for those of us who stay.

Peter

igora90
THREAD ­ STARTER
923 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 11, 2014 10:29 |  #10

Okay you guys are right how creating quality content and that kind of stuff pays of in the long run but for me their way of doing things like shown in the video is just something I don't like. Call me a quitter or a photographer whose business won't last more than those famous 2 years, but I don't want to be part of that kind of society. I won't delete my account but I will put more effort on other sites as stated in my first post. Sorry for the rant :D

2x Canon 6D, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART, EF 85mm f/1.8, EF 135 F/2.0
www.iirorautiainen.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,701 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 11, 2014 10:51 |  #11

great investigation

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

bllarkin
42 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 11, 2014 11:21 |  #12

Unfortunately, this investigation is pretty one-sided.

The re-tooling of algorithms at FB has had an impact, but there is also a large contingent of businesses that refuse to really learn how to most efficiently use the ad system, and their engagement has started to reflect this more accurately.

My 500px (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 11, 2014 12:51 |  #13

No social media or marketing tool will cancel the need to make smart business decisions. Its hardly a surprise that companies inflate the value of their advertising value. Test and re-evaluate your marketing strategy and investment constantly.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,219 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 11, 2014 20:46 |  #14

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16680758 (external link)
Personally I set up a strategy a couple of years ago in anticipation of charges. The fact that post visibility has gone down doesn't faze me in the slightest. It was always going to happen. (And no I won't be sharing what I do on this occasion).

Your strategy easy to work out.... you post great shots that your clients want to tell their real friends about. :)

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 11, 2014 21:21 |  #15

Dan Marchant wrote in post #16682433 (external link)
Your strategy easy to work out.... you post great shots that your clients want to tell their real friends about. :)

Most businesses post on FB and then promote those posts online with FB or hope that people see it in a news feed and then react to the post in some way.

I promote future FB posts I have not yet made... and I do that all offline.

That is as much as I'm giving away.

You'd be amazed how often doing the complete opposite to everyone else yields very successful strategies.

Peter

sponsored links

2,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
That's it Facebook, I'm done
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.