Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 12:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di focus problems?

mr2step
442 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 11, 2014 12:02 |  #1

Hey everyone. I have owned a previously owned Tamron 28-75 2.8 for the last couple of years. What I've begun to notice is that when I take image with with camera on the 2.8 side, the images are often soft/out of focus. This seems to be a fairly new issue I've noticed. I have read that Tamron's have QA issues during production. Anyone else run into this problem? I don't know how old the lens is as I am the second owner. I am not sure whether to sell it and buy a new one or send it in to Tamron for inspection. Of course, I am thinking it may cost as much to fix as it is to buy a new one. Does autofocus rely on body or a lens' inherit quality? I have been meaning to upgrade to a 70d from a T1i and was wondering if that may alleviate the issue. What is everyone's thoughts?

Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life.
www.Brettmissick.com (external link)

http://www.facebook.co​m/brettmissickphotogra​phy (external link)

sponsored links
burb1972
126 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 11, 2014 15:48 |  #2

i stack cereal boxes, on edge so you see the nutritional information, and have them like in a step kinda pattern, focus on the center one, use tripod and timer, see if you are front focusing, could also just print a focus test sheet, but im kinda partial to cereal boxes. i also tested by putting boxes in corners of my fireplace, found my tamron focus blows in upper left corner. Plus shows color, saturation, contrast.

mike parker
gear list 5dc, tamron 19-35, tamron 28-75, 50mm 1.8 mark 1, 28-70 3.5 canon(x2), 100 f/2 canon, 70-300 usm is, helios 44-2, vpk lens put into a m42 cap attached to a bellows, 430 ex

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 11, 2014 16:54 |  #3

How mny AF points do you have active?

GEAR LIST

mr2step
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 11, 2014 18:50 |  #4

The T1i only has 9 focal points.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 11, 2014 23:39 as a reply to  @ mr2step's post |  #5

You have to determine, are the images opitally soft or not sharp due to misfocus.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

phreeky
Goldmember
3,499 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 12, 2014 06:56 |  #6

mr2step wrote in post #16682185 (external link)
The T1i only has 9 focal points.

But how many are you using? All active or just the centre one etc?

mr2step
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 12, 2014 11:58 as a reply to  @ phreeky's post |  #7

In this particular case of my issue, I use only one AF point at a time since i am shooting down at f2.8. In my opinion the images are blurry. I guess soft was misused wording. The faces are blurry. The more I think about it the more I am beginning to think it was user error. At least that is my optimistic thinking. I was shooting on "one shot" AF and doing concerts I probably should have been using AF-servo to constantly keep focus. Even though I had a high enough shutter speed for the pics 1/180-1/350 for hand holding more or less and the subject was fairly stationary (yes I know about the 1/focal length hand hold rule of thumb) at ISO 3200 the singers could have been moving just enough to blur the pics using "one shot" AF instead of Auto Serve.

paddler4
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 12, 2014 15:49 |  #8

I had one for 4 or 5 years and never had a problem. While the best testing of focusing is at a longer distance, you can get a pretty good idea using a focus chart like this one: http://regex.info/blog​/photo-tech/focus-chart (external link). Do center point only, open to 2.8, and follow the instructions about positioning the camera.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

mr2step
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 13, 2014 09:24 as a reply to  @ paddler4's post |  #9

Paddler_4- Thanks so much. I may give this a try. Not sure if it was user error or lens as I said. I appreciate the help.

mr2step
THREAD ­ STARTER
442 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 13, 2014 11:33 as a reply to  @ mr2step's post |  #10

Hey guys- Ok so on the great advice of Paddler4 I tried to do some basic testing to see what I could find out. I did not do as exhaustive a testing as was presented in the link though I did do something comparable. basically, I printed up a calibration sheet as per this site and followed it's instructions using both live view and autofocus systems to try and see what is going on. I shot on a tripod using mirror lock up and a wired trigger release. I was shooting 6 feet from the wall. I began by shooting at f2.8 using both live view and autofocus methods as described in the site. Right off the bat I could tell there was something wrong as both images were VERY fuzzy when zoomed in to 100%. So, I then upped the aperture to 4.0 and repeated steps. Images were obviously more clear then at 2.8 but still not tack sharp. I then changed aperture again to f8.0 and this is where the image began to become sharp to my liking. To keep moving things further, I put on my 55-250 canon lens and did the same steps. I used same focal range of 75mm and same aperture to help with reproducibility. Immediately the images were tack sharp. After viewing the 2 lenses images side by side it was like night and day. I think I have narrowed down the issue to the lens which is what my suspicion was all along along and feel fairly confident that it is NOT the camera body. I am still contacting tamron as this lens is out of warranty. As I think I mentioned, I was quoted at $150 for a minor repair and $250 for major repair. Not sure what a lens calibration would fall under but either way, it would still be cheaper then buying a new lens. I will try and post pictures when i can upload them so others can see what I am looking at and hopefully make it a learning experience for others.
Here is the web address i used
http://photographylife​.com …dslr-for-autofocus-issues (external link)

sponsored links

4,920 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di focus problems?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.