Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 06:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So I Bought a Tilt Shift Lens

Steve ­ Campbell
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 06:25 |  #1

I made a spur of the moment local buy the weekend, a Canon TSE 24mm f3.5L II tilt shift lens. I had asked about 24mm primes here before, with my eye on the 24 1.4L II but many pointed me toward the 24 TSE. A local seller had one, so I met him and we did a deal. Not cheap, but I like shooting old buildings, churches etc. It may not be wide enough for some of that but I felt 24mm was a more useful overall focal length than the 17mm he was also selling.

I've recieved some valuable tips already but thought I would post a thread and maybe get some feedback on these lenses in terms of manual focus, techniques, links etc. I haven't really been out with it much yet and don't know much about it.

Gear List
5D Mark III |5D Mark II | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 | 17-40 | 300 f2.8L IS |35 1.4L | 50 1.8 | | 24 3.5 TSE II |
Speedlite 430 EX II |

sponsored links
davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Feb 12, 2014 06:41 |  #2

Congrats you lucky guy :-P

Im have an eye on a 24mm lens too, and i want a 24mm 1.4 and a 24mm TS-E but i even cant justify one at the moment :(

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

Steve ­ Campbell
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 06:54 |  #3

davidfarina wrote in post #16683229 (external link)
Congrats you lucky guy :-P

Im have an eye on a 24mm lens too, and i want a 24mm 1.4 and a 24mm TS-E but i even cant justify one at the moment :(

I'm not sure if I feel lucky yet. Maybe after I pay it off, but this lens should hold it's value. As far as I know, the 24 TSE is also a great straight up 24 prime. Not fast like the 1.4 or auto focus, but suppose to be very sharp. Maybe you wouldn't need both. I have a 35 1.4L also, that I plan to keep.

Gear List
5D Mark III |5D Mark II | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 | 17-40 | 300 f2.8L IS |35 1.4L | 50 1.8 | | 24 3.5 TSE II |
Speedlite 430 EX II |

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 12, 2014 07:50 |  #4

You shouldn't really need auto focus or a very fast lens if using it for buildings. Spend more time composing your shots & getting the verticals straight & you will really see the value of these lenses. As for sharpness....Wow. :D

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2014 08:44 |  #5

Congrats ! Yes, the 24mm TS-E II is really a gem, despite the "learning curve". You seem to have some tripods so it should help ;)

Titi

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,740 posts
Gallery: 226 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2014 09:22 |  #6

Congrats!

As far as advice, mine would be to play with it. T/S lenses can be hard to wrap your mind around in the abstract, but I've found that it's pretty easy with hands-on - simply looking through the lens while adjusting should be an eye-opener.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Feb 12, 2014 10:42 |  #7

Steve Campbell wrote in post #16683212 (external link)
I made a spur of the moment local buy the weekend, a Canon TSE 24mm f3.5L II tilt shift lens.

I've recieved some valuable tips already but thought I would post a thread and maybe get some feedback on these lenses in terms of manual focus, techniques, links etc. I haven't really been out with it much yet and don't know much about it.

Congratulations, the TSE 24 II is one of Canon's finest lenses.
Suggestions:
1. Absolutely use a tripod
while hand holding may work for shift alone, its quite difficult to manually fine adjust tilt without a tripod.
2. While viewfinder use may be fine for shift adjustment, I have never found the viewfinder use sufficient for fine adjustment of tilt & focus. However, magnified Live View is really an enabling tool for tilt, especially as the camera is low to the ground , when more tilt is used. Try magnified Live View.
3. Practice several times in your driveway or backyard before going out to shoot. Experiment with height above the ground (try getting really low), use of tilt in portrait and landscape orientations, pointing upwards, downwards, shifting for panos, etc. Download and check out your results to see how your results match your vision & expectations.
4. When adjusting tilt or shift, always loosen the lock knob before changing the adjustment, then retighten the lock knob. Moving the shift/tilt adjustments without loosening the lock knobs can cause a lock up of the lens mechanism with an expensive repair at Canon to follow.
5. some reading:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorial​s/focusing-ts.shtml (external link)
http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …ls/tilt-shift-lenses1.htm (external link)
http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …ls/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm (external link)
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_p​ages/using_tilt.html (external link)
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk …ages/focus-with-tilt.html (external link)

Have fun with your new lens. I have found T/S use to open quite a new dimension of creativity in my shooting style.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2014 11:01 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Argh, Mike K beat me to it. LOL

Shift is easy. Tilt is not. Lots of fun to use both combined. :)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

eriet30
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 12, 2014 11:03 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #9

I just got this lens as well.

It is a HUGE learning curve. I have been practicing and practicing and it is starting to get more natural for me but wow it really makes me think. When I do it right though it comes out very sharp. When I do it wrong I wonder why I put money into something I probably am not talented enough to use... but hey learn learn learn, cant learn without the lens so I am happy with my impulse. here is a three stitch

IMAGE: http://www.paulvanderveen.net/img/s5/v128/p477771867-2.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.paulvanderv​een.net/p456125167/e1c​7a385b  (external link)

What I cant master is making things do the miniature effect... but I didnt get the lens for that.

I do find the live view is hard to get used to ....especially with the 6d controls but it does find focus easier then trying to do it through the view finder. However sometimes i set it at the little 3 to infinity mark and it is sharp there... just a step back from full infinity. If I need a quick shot of a building or something it is my quickest way of shooting.

"Vision is the art of seeing that which is invisible"
http:// … flickr (external link) www.paulvanderveen.net (external link)

A9 / A7rII /A6000IR -CV10, Loxia 21, Tam 28-75, FE90, FE 100-400GM, Rok 8mm Fish
Legacy Glass: Canon FD 55 1.2 / Jupiter 9 85mm 1.4 / Viv S1 90 2.5 macro

farmer1957
901 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 12, 2014 11:05 as a reply to  @ Mike K's post |  #10

Shooting tethered will speed up the learning curve.
farmer

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2014 11:16 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

eriet30 wrote in post #16683789 (external link)
What I cant master is making things do the miniature effect... but I didnt get the lens for that.

The lens is too short for that, unless the 'elevated position' you're shooting from is not that high off the ground. At least that's how my brain evaluates it; but you be the judge:

From a bridge:

IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/bilder/DS-00093.jpg

From a 9th story window:
IMAGE: http://diamantstudios.ca/Gemeines/bilder/Failed_TS-mini.jpg

Dunno, but you might find the second image more 'miniaturised' than the first. To my eyes, it's the opposite.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 12, 2014 11:53 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #12

Congratulations. :) The 24 TS-E is one of the lenses on my purchase list. I'm a little afraid of it though; I'm afraid that I won't be able to focus the thing.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2014 12:04 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

You still get the focus confirmation blink & beep. When not too tilted or shifted, though.

Steve ­ Campbell
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 17:26 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #14

Thanks for the great input guys! Lots of good advice Mike K! I was out after work for some test shots. I shot a 2 story heritage building that the 24mm could easily frame. I used the tilt function (up and down) to make the building less distorted if you know what I mean. I set exposure at 0, then went to live view, tilted it fully with the building straightening itself out nicely. This was all done off a tripod with a remote shutter. I used 10x magnification to focus in LV and then shot at f11. Looked good till I got home and downloaded the shot. The center of the building looks decently sharp but the top of the roof and dormer windows is not in focus, which ruins the shot.

What did I do wrong?

Gear List
Speedlite 430 EX II |

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2014 17:32 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

You tilted when you should have shifted?

Maybe if you post the photo?

sponsored links

10,580 views & 0 likes for this thread
So I Bought a Tilt Shift Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.