Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 07:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Corrupt card

mileslong24
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 12, 2014 07:09 |  #1

So about a month ago I picked up a pack of Lexar Professional 1000x CF cards. I've used them a couple of times with no issues. Took some shots yesterday and put the card in my card reader in the desktop last night but got sidetracked and never imported them. Went to do it this morning and the card wasn't showing up to import from in Lightroom. So I clicked on My Computer and when clicking on the card says no images. So I ejected the card and put it back in the camera and it says "card cannot be accessed. Reinsert/change the card or format card with camera". You have got to be kidding me. Please tell me there is something that can be done. I'm extremely annoyed as the shots I took are ones I've been trying to get for some time with no luck, a RTH feeding on prey. The only two things unusual were that I left the card in the reader overnight and the computer went into sleep mode, and it was extremely cold yesterday when shooting, like 5 degrees. But the images were viewable on camera prior to removing card. I'm so annoyed hoping someone can help.

sponsored links
DBNissan
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 12, 2014 07:41 |  #2

Have you tried rebooting the computer and checking the card again?

~Dan Sony Kit: a6500 | a7iii | 18-105mm f/4 G | MC-11 | TT685S | TT350S | X1T-S | Canon Kit: 6D | 80D | 50D | S120 | 16-35mm f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 STM | 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 8mm f/3.5 | Tamron 18-270mm VC | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Tamron C-AF BBAR MC7 2xTC | 580EXII | 430EXII | YN-500EX | YN-622C | Flashpoint RoveLight 600
www.DBNphotography.com (external link)

mileslong24
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 12, 2014 10:07 as a reply to  @ DBNissan's post |  #3

Yes. And that message is what the camera is reading when the card is put back in.

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 12, 2014 13:24 |  #4

Did you do a format prior to using them?

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,007 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2014 13:31 |  #5

If you cannot get the images from the card with either the camera or the computer there is one thing you can try. It's a pain but I have been successful in retrieving images from a damaged card.

Go ahead and format the card, then use a recovery program to see what is still recoverable. There are some free ones, some trial ones and some that you purchase. This should be done as a last attempt.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,866 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 12, 2014 14:25 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #16684166 (external link)
If you cannot get the images from the card with either the camera or the computer there is one thing you can try. It's a pain but I have been successful in retrieving images from a damaged card.

Go ahead and format the card, then use a recovery program to see what is still recoverable. There are some free ones, some trial ones and some that you purchase. This should be done as a last attempt.

I would NOT format the card prior to trying recovery software. That serves no purpose and can make recovery more difficult. By the way Lexar may have recovery software on their website.

So about a month ago I picked up a pack of Lexar Professional 1000x CF cards.

What is a "pack" of Lexar cards? Two or more bundled together of were they packaged separately. As you likely know the marketplace is full of counterfeit cards; I personally have never seen cards bundled together, only packaged as single units. I think if I saw two (for instance) pacakged together, I would be wary.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,866 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 12, 2014 14:28 |  #7

http://www.lexar.com …r-image-rescue-4-software (external link) for the Lexar recovery software.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 12, 2014 14:39 |  #8

I would give Testdisk / Photorec a shot as well.

http://www.cgsecurity.​org/ (external link)

Joel

Ynot
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 12, 2014 15:17 |  #9

I know that this can't help your current situation, but I'll echo what Joe said above. A year ago same thing happened to me with one of my Lexar's. Luckily, not important shots, just practice in the back yard. No matter what I did I couldn't get the card to read. Sent it back to Lexar and they sent me a new one. The nice thing was that they bumped the new card up from 400X to 600X. Since then, I reformat my cards before every shoot, not a problem since.

Tony
My Gear
Governments don't live together, people live together...Ӕ
Outlaw Josey Wales

mileslong24
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 12, 2014 16:04 as a reply to  @ joeblack2022's post |  #10

I tried the Lexar software.....no go. It's not even recognizing my card. And even when I go to eject the card from my desktop it shows the card in gray like its not even there. Can't believe this 1 month old card and these things are suppose to be some of the nicest.

mileslong24
THREAD ­ STARTER
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 12, 2014 16:05 as a reply to  @ mileslong24's post |  #11

And I always format cards before use.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 12, 2014 16:18 |  #12

mileslong24 wrote in post #16684566 (external link)
I tried the Lexar software.....no go. It's not even recognizing my card. And even when I go to eject the card from my desktop it shows the card in gray like its not even there. Can't believe this 1 month old card and these things are suppose to be some of the nicest.

Try the software I suggested, I was able to grab data off a hard disk that Windows kept asking me to format.

Joel

gjl711
55,007 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2014 16:58 |  #13

John from PA wrote in post #16684307 (external link)
I would NOT format the card prior to trying recovery software. That serves no purpose and can make recovery more difficult. By the way Lexar may have recovery software on their website..

mileslong24 wrote in post #16684566 (external link)

This is why I recomended formating the card. If the card is currently seen as un-formatted, the machine will not even recognize that it is plugged in and the recovery software will not do anything. As I mentioned, a format is a last ditch activity. At least it can recover the card to a point where it becomes readable. Then you can try to recover. Sometimes it works and you'll get the images back and sometimes it doesn't. Do this when all else has failed. Once formatted there is no way to go back.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 12, 2014 17:02 |  #14

Does the Camera Read the Card?
If so go back there and get images off of camera...

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

gjl711
55,007 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2014 17:03 |  #15

grayline wrote in post #16684712 (external link)
Does the Camera Read the Card?
If so go back there and get images off of camera...

Op says that it does not.

sponsored links

2,829 views & 0 likes for this thread
Corrupt card
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.