Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 06:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So I Bought a Tilt Shift Lens

Steve ­ Campbell
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 17:38 |  #16

Alveric wrote in post #16684773 (external link)
You tilted when you should have shifted?

Maybe if you post the photo?

When you move the lens either up towards the sky or down to the ground that's "tilt" is it?

Gear List
5D Mark III |5D Mark II | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 | 17-40 | 300 f2.8L IS |35 1.4L | 50 1.8 | | 24 3.5 TSE II |
Speedlite 430 EX II |

sponsored links
scpictaker
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 12, 2014 17:42 |  #17

These are the finest lenses canon has in my opinion. Best thing to do is just get out and play and have fun. Careful not to get cut when you see the images this lens produces!

My Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D MKIII l 7D MKII l 24-105L l 16-35 L II l Sigma 50 1.4 ART l 70-200 2.8 L II l 24-70L l EOS M l 2X III l Rok 14mm

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2014 17:42 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

Steve Campbell wrote in post #16684789 (external link)
When you move the lens either up towards the sky or down to the ground that's "tilt" is it?

Yup, that's the most distal of the knobs. The scales are actually labeled, T and S.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Steve ­ Campbell
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 17:44 as a reply to  @ Steve Campbell's post |  #19

Here's the shot just converted from RAW to a Jpeg, nothing else.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List
5D Mark III |5D Mark II | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 24-105 | 17-40 | 300 f2.8L IS |35 1.4L | 50 1.8 | | 24 3.5 TSE II |
Speedlite 430 EX II |

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2014 17:46 |  #20
bannedPermanent ban

Yeah, you tilted when you shoulda shifted.

Maybe this can help a bit (external link)? You can jump right to the 'A-righting' section.

In a nutshell:

1. Position the camera at the desired height.
  2. Make sure the camera is level with the horizon.
  3. Shift as needed.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

Steve ­ Campbell
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 17:52 |  #21

Alveric wrote in post #16684806 (external link)
Yeah, you tilted when you shoulda shifted.

Maybe this can help a bit (external link)? You can jump right to the 'A-righting' section.

In a nutshell:

1. Position the camera at the desired height.
  2. Make sure the camera is level with the horizon.
  3. Shift as needed.

Ok, hopefully that's what happened. I know the lens can be rotated also. I guess maybe that was in the wrong position? I also shot a landscape shot that turned out a little better, although probably by fluke. I set up the tripod low, turned the lens down towards the water and shot. I'm not sure if I got any type of effect from that though maybe I did.

Gear List
Speedlite 430 EX II |

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2014 17:58 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Two more things:

1. Watch your apertures. Even with the tilt function, if you shoot wide open you will get a small DOF.
  2. When you tilt you introduce back keystone distortion, so you must adjust your tripod head accordingly (to point the camera slightly up or down), which might require reframing (lifting the camera by means of the tripod's centre column) or use of the shift function.

Steve ­ Campbell
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 12, 2014 18:30 |  #23

Alveric wrote in post #16684822 (external link)
Two more things:

1. Watch your apertures. Even with the tilt function, if you shoot wide open you will get a small DOF.
  2. When you tilt you introduce back keystone distortion, so you must adjust your tripod head accordingly (to point the camera slightly up or down), which might require reframing (lifting the camera by means of the tripod's centre column) or use of the shift function.

Thanks! I was only out for an hour or so, so not much time. It was -25 with the wind chill, so my hands were frozen just after a couple of minutes and it's not easy working with this lens with gloves. I have a couple of buddies who know more than I do about these things and I plan on getting out with them or even loaning them the lens! More practice for sure. Here's the landscape shot I took that came out ok, perhaps despite my lack of knowledge. Does it look like there is any tilt or shift effect here?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List
Speedlite 430 EX II |

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2014 19:26 |  #24

^^^ you may or may not have used tilt - hard to say; at 24mm, f/13 hitting the hyperfocal would have easily given you the DoF in this pic. Since there's no real uprights to judge from, it's hard to say if shift was used. Nice pic, though.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Gallery: 246 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2014 19:31 |  #25

Question - I don't have a body with LiveView, so I don't know - does LiveView engage the aperture blades a la the DoF preview button? If not, it's another thing that you may want to play with while actively making adjustments so that you can get a handle on what things are doing.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 12, 2014 20:05 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

I've found that you have to press the DOF button even with LiveView.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 12, 2014 21:44 |  #27

Steve Campbell wrote in post #16684904 (external link)
Thanks! I was only out for an hour or so, so not much time. It was -25 with the wind chill, so my hands were frozen just after a couple of minutes and it's not easy working with this lens with gloves. I have a couple of buddies who know more than I do about these things and I plan on getting out with them or even loaning them the lens! More practice for sure. Here's the landscape shot I took that came out ok, perhaps despite my lack of knowledge. Does it look like there is any tilt or shift effect here?

Just because one cannot tell automatically, doesn't mean you'd have got the same shot with a non-TS. I would have used both for a shot like this, but only by looking closely at the corners and near could I tell if you'd likely used tilt. (You should be able to get really sharp corners and infinity with tilt).

Also, even if HFD says you could get everything 'acceptably sharp' at f13, using the same aperture with tilt you should be able to get an overall sharper photo. The idea that you can go from using f13 with no tilt to say f5.6 with tilt doesn't usually pan out in practice - you still often need a smallish aperture (maybe in this case f8-f11), but you end up with a much sharper image because everything is much closer to the actual focal plane.

It does take some practice and everyone sets shots up slightly differently. If I haven't used mine for a while and go on a landscape trip, I try to go out once or twice before I go, just to make sure I don't have to think about mechanics, where the knobs are, what to check etc.. when I am doing it for real as the sun is rising.

Alveric wrote in post #16685135 (external link)
I've found that you have to press the DOF button even with LiveView.

Yes, and hold it while you scan the frame in 5x ot 10x zo which can be a PITA. Another good thing about Magic Lantern not often talked about (I've seen many people on the forums even say DOF preview is utterly useless) is that you can 'sticky' the DOF preview. I think the lens is automatically stopped down in move mode too, but this might make shooting in LV annoying. With a 7D or 5DIII though this is just one switch rather than a menu item and might be doable -I haven't tried since I use ML.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Steve ­ Campbell
THREAD ­ STARTER
449 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 13, 2014 04:52 as a reply to  @ ejenner's post |  #28

We used the DOF button the first time around, but I never used it yesterday. I think practice, practice, practice is the key. We have many heritage buildings and homes around. This gives me an excuse to get out and shoot.

What would the procedure be for doing a 3 exposure bracket? Does the lens have to come back to 0 for each different exposure?

Gear List
Speedlite 430 EX II |

Kaiser_photographer
196 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 13, 2014 06:06 as a reply to  @ post 16684773 |  #29

I bought a TS-45mm back in the summer, and like it very much, but sold it to fund the 85mm 1.2 II. They are amazing lens to give some new perspectives and angles, and help tell a story differently, only sold it because was a little long for my needs and needed the 85mm more, maybe next year I'll buy a 24mm or 17mm TS.

Gear List
FLICKR (external link)
FLICKR MPS (external link)

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 13, 2014 10:05 |  #30

Steve Campbell wrote in post #16685928 (external link)
What would the procedure be for doing a 3 exposure bracket?

Exactly the same as a non TS lens. Once you have it set with the middle exposure, just use bracketing or bracket manually.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

sponsored links

11,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
So I Bought a Tilt Shift Lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.