Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 11 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 23:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

old fd lenses for astrophotography

webejamn
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 11, 2014 23:25 |  #1

I was thinking about buying an older 50mm 1.4 for astrophotography, and a wider fast lens as well. but i recently read that they do not work because the older canon lenses are 44mm from the film, and the newer canon lenses are 42mm from the sensor, meaning you are 2mm short of infinity focus,

does anyone have any experience with this? or advice.

http://www.imdb.com/na​me/nm0000188/ (external link)

sponsored links
SteveInNZ
Goldmember
1,417 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 11, 2014 23:43 |  #2

That's correct (except that you have numbers the wrong way around).
There are a couple of options for FD lenses on EF bodies.
1) Do without infinity (which is fine for macro shooters)
2) An adapter with a correction lens - There is a rare/expensive Canon version and lots of eBay versions. The eBay versions aren't very good.
3) Ed Mika adapters (Google him) - Some tools are required but the lens can be converted back to original. I don't know if he does an adapter for the 50mm f/1.4. Some lenses will hit the mirror but they are worth it for some of the larger FD lenses.
4) Use a Nikon, Tamron Adaptall, Pentax-K or Pentax M42 lens and adapter. They all have flange distances >44mm.

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,010 posts
Gallery: 1466 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 12, 2014 18:17 |  #3

Heya,

Why not just get some manual lens with F1.4? Like something by Rokinon/Samyang. They have a 35mm F1.4 that is extremely nice and very sharp, even wide open.

Rokinon also does a 24mm F1.4 lens for a good price. Very sharp wide open. Great for astro wide field.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gordonb
425 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 12, 2014 22:26 |  #4

I have the adapter for the eos to fd and use my old fd lens sometimes just for S and G. As for astro shooting I wouldn't know.
Sorry

Gordon

Gordon

Canon 5Ds/6d/7d/50d/xti/A1/ EOS M / S-100 / EOS M3
Canon 70-200 2.8 / Canon 100-400/ Canon 24-105L / Sigma 10-20
Nifty 50 / and kit lens/EF M 18-55 and EOS M adapter

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 13, 2014 11:32 |  #5

Good advice given so far.
All said by SIZ is correct and MV gave a very good alternative suggestion.
To add:
The optical adapter that is made in China has very cheap glass, distoring your IQ and adding significant CA. This is to say it must only be used with Tele lenses. When used with wide angle or even 50mm, its inheritant magnification of x0.25 factor, totally rouins the wider angle of FOV that you need. Canon on very early days of introducing EOS lenses i.e. EF, made a quality adapter but first of all you are lucky to see one for purchase, then even if you find one, it would be about $2000 or more. So I really don't think you want to save on cheap old lens and go wild on adapter.

In short, if you really need quality manual lens at low price, look Rokinon and several other rebranded name of same exact lens such as Samyang, Bowel etc.
If you are to get old lenses, Avoid Canon's older lenses (FD or FL) also Minolta M. These two need optical correction due to same longer focus point you mentioned but Nikon, Pentax, Olys or many other lenses including all 42mm screw lenses are fine and can be use on EOS only with a physical adaptor that needs no distoring glass. But then the key thing is that old lenses are made and tuned for Film. You will see the ugly color tune and shift of color due to very different lens coating and then due to lack of computer assited lens design and manufacturing, most cheaper old lenses do not have Aspherical component thus further degredating your final image.
I love the old lenses but mostly to see them in my collection not for use.
Hope this helped.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 13, 2014 11:42 |  #6

I've tried an adapter from Ebay, on my 35 and 50mm FD lenses. It's a waste of time and money, IQ is terrible. I recently bought the Rokinon 14mm, f/2.8 for astro work. I haven't had a chance to do any astro work with it yet, but the few test shots I've tried have been very sharp. At <$300, it's a bargain and worth the every penny. One caveat, it is manual focus, and manual aperture, and cannot take any filters for landscape work. Though there is a filter system in the works.

StillCrazy - after all these years.
Canon T3i, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 70-300, Rokinon 14, Yongnuo YN 565 EX
My flickr (external link)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 13, 2014 12:05 |  #7

SC; I am determined to make my own rare filter and may be a similar to proposed one, Cokin P type front filter too. Just ordered my ND gel filters. Lets see if I can come with something useful for that gem 14mm Rokinon but again as you mentioned, most people including me, cherish this lens for Astro and night use so absolutely no need for filter.
BTW, that cheap Chines adapter might be of some limited use with Tele FD lenses if you have any (Say 200mm or longer) but then you are absolutely right that it is a total loss for regular or Wide angle lenses.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 13, 2014 14:11 |  #8

samsen wrote in post #16686724 (external link)
SC; I am determined to make my own rare filter and may be a similar to proposed one, Cokin P type front filter too. Just ordered my ND gel filters. Lets see if I can come with something useful for that gem

I'd love to see what you come up with, when you get it together.

Canon T3i, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 70-300, Rokinon 14, Yongnuo YN 565 EX

webejamn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 14, 2014 09:27 |  #9

StillCrazy wrote in post #16686666 (external link)
I've tried an adapter from Ebay, on my 35 and 50mm FD lenses. It's a waste of time and money, IQ is terrible. I recently bought the Rokinon 14mm, f/2.8 for astro work. I haven't had a chance to do any astro work with it yet, but the few test shots I've tried have been very sharp. At <$300, it's a bargain and worth the every penny. One caveat, it is manual focus, and manual aperture, and cannot take any filters for landscape work. Though there is a filter system in the works.

One of my shooting buddies has the Rokinon 14 2.8 and it works great for astrophotography, we were both looking at it and he jumped in and bought one, it was my alternative if the older canon lenses didnt work out, that and maybe some of their other lenses.

calypsob
Goldmember
1,176 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 16, 2014 00:24 |  #10

Are we talking about guiding here or stationary? I sold my tokina 11-16, which was AWESOME for getting in a good 22 seconds on a milkyway with just a tripod. If I ever get another wide angle it will be the rokinon 8mm aspherical. It is easily corrected to remove the fisheye effect into a huge almost full frame like wideangle shot. It is a little slower than the tokina, but you could expose longer than the tokina so they balance out the same, only you get a much bigger view with the rokinon. Food for thought.

Wes
-----------
flickr (external link)
Gear: Many gears Yes.

webejamn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 18, 2014 02:19 as a reply to  @ calypsob's post |  #11

will the rokinon 8mm work on a ff, i read that the 14mm is for crop sensors, but will work just fine on a full frame.
i have the sigma 12-24, but its a bit slow

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 18, 2014 07:28 |  #12

You heard wrong. Here's a quote from the Samyang web page:

The Samyang 14 mm is a ultra wide-angle manual focus lens designed for both Full-Frame and APS-C cameras.

The Samyang, Rokinon, Bower and others are the same lens under different names.

Here's two links for all the specs.
http://www.syopt.com …4mm-F2.8-ED-AS-IF-UMC.php (external link)
http://www.kenrockwell​.com …samyang/14mm-f28.htm#spex (external link)

sponsored links

4,595 views & 0 likes for this thread
old fd lenses for astrophotography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.