Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 09:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This forum saved me from doing a wedding

Chris
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 13, 2014 09:07 |  #1

I know someone that is getting married next year, and received a Facebook message asking me if I would consider shooting her wedding and how much would I charge. I'm a serious hobbyist and have shot a wedding and second shot a few weddings, but that was for immediate family. This is the sister in law of my sister in law, so not a close relative by any means. Of course I was flattered that see asked me, but based on all the reading I have done on this forum from people that have stepped in to shooting there first paid wedding, I decided to just tell her that weddings were not my thing.

From the rest of the conversation I had with her on Facebook I could tell that she had contacted me hoping for a real cheap price. I asked her what her budget was so I could recommend someone to her, and she just said as low as possible. So thank you forum for helping me recognize the warning signs and not to waste my time fretting about shooting a paid wedding that wouldn't have paid well anyway. I was able to move away from this quickly with no misunderstanding or hurt feelings on either side.

So thank you again forum for all your wisdom and experience.

Chris

70D | 24-70 2.8 | 400 5.6 | 580 EXII | 2X Yongnuo 622C |

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,561 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 13, 2014 10:26 |  #2

We watched our neighbours daughter grow up at our cottage area. We became close friends over 20 years until they sold their place. Her dad and myself fished a lot and shared a few bottles of Crown over the years. He as the salt of the earth but it was easier to get a wooden nickel from Beaver.

Several years later she called me and told me she had trouble finding a wedding photographer which if she was anything like her dad I interpreted as "I can't find an inexpensive photographer". We agreed on the expectations and I did it to help them out.

Good to see you stand your ground Chris. I have had people I don't know very well approach me die to word of mouth and I won't give them a deal either. I've stopped doing that for people I know well and friends a well. It was OK starting out but there are people who depend on this for a living. I'm quite happy to lose a gig to working pro.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 13, 2014 10:58 |  #3

Is the reason why it was a good decision not to shoot because you aren't sufficiently ready to shoot nor interested in shooting weddings ? Or are you saying it was wise to skip this offer because the fee was going to be too low ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

Chris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 13, 2014 11:28 |  #4

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16686556 (external link)
Is the reason why it was a good decision not to shoot because you aren't sufficiently ready to shoot nor interested in shooting weddings ? Or are you saying it was wise to skip this offer because the fee was going to be too low ?

Those are some very insightful questions and it made me think for a few minutes.

I'm not sufficiently ready or interested in shooting weddings. I could have been easily swayed by the feeling of pride that someone thought my photography was good enough for their wedding. But because of this forum, and the great discussions I've read over the years, I was very well prepared to realize and accept that this wasn't a good move for me, nor was it good for the person asking me.

But I also have to admit that it was a little deflating when I realized that she was contacting me because she thought she could get a low price.

Chris

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 13, 2014 11:48 as a reply to  @ Chris's post |  #5

The last wedding I shot will be the last wedding I shoot for the foreseeable future . I have a day job to pay the bills and shoot kids playing outdoor sports for a few extra $$$. But, as a friend's wedding gift, my wife and I shot her wedding. The stress, anxiety and pressure are not worth it. Even worse was that in the few weeks that it took my wife to get the touch-up done, the couple had already separated. After I delivered the disc and finding out they were no longer together, I deleted all the images from our computers. A year later, they are back together and want a new disc of images. It ain't worth it until you are ready to go pro.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 14, 2014 00:11 |  #6

Sister in law's sister in law isn't close enough to do a favor for, imo. So if you don't think it'll be worth your time you should indeed politely decline.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 14, 2014 11:29 |  #7

jefzor wrote in post #16688265 (external link)
Sister in law's sister in law isn't close enough to do a favor for, imo. So if you don't think it'll be worth your time you should indeed politely decline.

To figure out family/friend "discount" I ask myself one question; "Would I be invited if not for my camera?" While that doesn't answer the question of whether to do it or not, it sure addresses the issue of how close the B&G consider us.

The last family wedding I considered was a bad one. My wife's cousin. His finacee even asked my wife to be her MoH. My wife couldn't figure out why and figured it was because she and her cousin had been super close growing up. She calls him and he straight up admits that it's because none of the bride's other friends could afford to pull off the shower/bachelorette she wanted. We, on the other hand, do quite well with our day jobs.

We both declined and didn't receive an invitation until about a week before the wedding, with yet another request for me to shoot...for free as a sponsor (a "padrino" if you happen to be of that culture).

We declined and I won't get into the family drama THAT created.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

jppyeayouknowme
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 14, 2014 11:43 as a reply to  @ Fernando's post |  #8

I am taking notes! I have read plenty threads talking about such. My conclusion is Id go to a wedding if I am either the back up photographer or an assistant. I am most definitively not ready for the responsibility. What i took from this thread is how careful one has to be with close relatives and such! thanks!

---------------
EOS M, EOS 6D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, EF 50 mm f/1.4 USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF-M 22mm f/2 STM, ROKINON 8mm f/3.5 Flickr: artvile

Chris
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,123 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 14, 2014 11:57 |  #9

Fernando wrote in post #16689187 (external link)
We both declined and didn't receive an invitation until about a week before the wedding, with yet another request for me to shoot...for free as a sponsor (a "padrino" if you happen to be of that culture).

We declined and I won't get into the family drama THAT created.

You declinded to go to the wedding or you declined to shoot the wedding?

Chris

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 14, 2014 13:54 |  #10

Chris wrote in post #16689255 (external link)
You declinded to go to the wedding or you declined to shoot the wedding?

Declined to shoot. That's where the drama took off and if my wife hadn't been so tight with her cousin and uncle we would have declined the wedding itself.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

Eagle
Goldmember
4,352 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 15, 2014 11:57 as a reply to  @ Fernando's post |  #11

I've shot three weddings and doing my fourth in July, it will be the second one I've done for a close family member (not same person). This one is on a beach and I get half my vacation accommodations paid. I will not do any more weddings after this, I hate them. Stress and pressure is ridiculous, I have nothing but respect for the pros. I love photography but weddings are just not my thing.

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

sponsored links

1,768 views & 0 likes for this thread
This forum saved me from doing a wedding
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.