Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 13 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 05:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

"Impossible Bag"

JuSlaughter
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 13, 2014 05:32 |  #1

Hey guys and gals

I am after some recommendations on what I am calling the "impossible bag".

I would like a bag to carry 1 DSLR with maybe a couple of lenses, a 17" laptop and usual accessories AND be able to pack a couple of days worth of clothes and toiletries in AND be suitable for carry-on on most airlines.

See what I mean? I am travelling a lot with work at the minutes, hence why I need my massive laptop, but dont have room for camera gear and clothes, so wondered if anyone has any experience or recommendations.

Cheers

Canon 7D2, Canon 5DC, Canon 40D, Canon 350D, 17-40mm F4, 24-105mm F4, 50mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8, 300mm F4, 70-200mm F4 IS, 100-400mm f5.6, Sigma 15mm Fisheye, Sigma 10-20mm F5.6, 580EX II, 430 EX and a bagload of other stuff

sponsored links
c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 13, 2014 05:41 |  #2

get a lowepro roller x200 if that's what you are looking to do. Thinktank also makes a rolling camera case: airport model. Get a suitcase and fill it with what you might need before considering what options are out there.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 13, 2014 18:35 |  #3

north face recon with an insert

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 13, 2014 18:41 |  #4

definitely something with wheels or one of those little fold up luggage carts, best $20 I ever spent at an airport.

You could try an insert into a regular hardcase carry on roller bag? I'd probably actually get a nice shoulderbag for the laptop, tickets, wallet, etc. and a roller of some sort for the gear. If you have to wear a suit and tie for work, maybe look into laundry service at your hotel and just bring two shirts etc, have them cleaned over night? Since you can only take small amounts of toiletries, those could also be skipped if in a bind, get a set at the hotel.

And depending on where you go and how much time you have, maybe get a good compact camera for shorter trips, leave the gear at home?

Just some ideas.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

VirtualRain
541 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 13, 2014 18:56 as a reply to  @ phantelope's post |  #5

I use a Briggs and Riley Torq hardcase (external link). I can stow my small camera bag (see below) toiletries, and a change of clothes. The best part is, it comes with a unique external pocket for your laptop/iPad making access to it easy without having to open the whole case... great for security or when getting settled in after boarding...

IMAGE: http://boardingarea.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/pointsmilesandmartinis/files/2013/06/BriggsandRileyTorqInternationalCarryonSpinnerFrontPocket_thumb.jpg

My travel camera bag is similar to this (without the EOS branding) and holds my essential gear (5D3 with one lens attached and one other lens), and of course allows me to carry it around without the hard case when I'm at my destination...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony a7rII / 24-240 / Zeiss 25, 55, 85

Stiggyiggy
75 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 15, 2014 06:36 |  #6

I use the Mountainsmith Borealis AT.

IMAGE: http://static.bhphoto.com/images/multiple_images/images500x500/IMG_146030.jpg
This is a LARGE backpack but it fits the mission you are describing. I carry my 60D, 70-200, 17-50, macbook air, ipad mini, chargers, and 2 days worth of clothes and there is still room. I've carried it onboard and can squeeze it into the overheads. You can also carry a tripod as well.
About $100 at BH which is much cheaper than MSRP.

Canon 60D | 10D | 17-50 f/2.8 XR | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 f/4.0-5.6 III | 50 f/1.8 |
Flickr (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
6,405 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2014 13:03 |  #7

Fstop comes to mind

http://fstopgear.com/ (external link)

My Gear flickr (external link)

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 15, 2014 13:19 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

Not at all impossible ..
Just buy the inserts you want from Domke etc and then custom fit w a luggage shop bag.
Have done that with a Pathfinder bag from Tuesday morning for a discount of $29 and $33 of inserts.
Its a 2 DSLR, 4 lens, flash in 1 configuration that would excel that $700 Billingham.
Then I put the same and additional inserts in a Ralph Lauren bag I got from dept store for "free"
and throw in a laptop w clothes and a bottle of rum.
Just be creative, custom, and think out of the box and camera store

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

sponsored links

2,281 views & 0 likes for this thread
"Impossible Bag"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.