Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 12 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 23:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Second try at a ring shot, feedback appreciated!

rebelsimon
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 12, 2014 23:46 |  #1

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7294/12493547263_4002f731e1_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …06324473@N07/12​493547263/  (external link)
IMG_8278 (external link) by Simon Mellick (external link), on Flickr

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
3,942 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 13, 2014 00:51 |  #2

Too much other stuff in the scene. Zoom in on the ring and put some light into the stone.

-- Image Editing OK --

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,293 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Feb 13, 2014 08:16 as a reply to  @ Qbx's post |  #3

^This. I would also get rid of the flare. Although some folks like it.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

rivas8409
Goldmember
2,454 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 13, 2014 09:26 |  #4

What did you light this with? It looks more like a product shot for a jeweler than what I would assume is from a wedding. I agree with the first comment about getting some more light on the stone. I think the highlights you've got on the band would look killer in the stone.

The flare...while I like flare in shots this one looks strange to me. What are you using to hang the ring on? I think the biggest distractor is the left of the frame. My eyes keep wandering to that side and wondering what in the world it is.

I like your idea, and I think it would work well if the ring were hanging/placed on the heel of a shoe.

Body: Canon 5DmkII│50D
Glass: Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8│Canon 85mm f/1.8│Canon 24-105mm f/4L│Canon 135mm f/2L
Lights: Flashpoint Streaklight 360│Flashpoint Zoom Li-on│AB800
Results: WEBSITE (external link)FACEBOOK (external link)

rebelsimon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,136 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 13, 2014 17:27 |  #5

The ring is hanging on a tree-shaped jewellery hanger meant for necklaces. It's lit with 2 speed lights, one from the side the other further towards the back above to induce the flair. I know it's tacky, but it was a nice way to introduce some colour while still blacking out the bg. I definitely like the idea of shooting a similar style shot with a shoe. Thanks for the input!

Toronto area photographer http://www.SimonMellic​kPhotography.com (external link)
Cameras:5Diii (x2), 70D
Lenses:Rokinon 14mm f2.8, Voightlander 20mm f3.5, Canon 24-70 f2.8ii, Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, Canon 50mm STM, Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC, Canon 135mm f2
Lights: AD600, AD200 (x2), V850 (x4)

BigLobowski
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 13, 2014 17:35 as a reply to  @ rebelsimon's post |  #6

A couple of things I'd like to suggest imho:
- consider moving the ring to the other side of the "branch" it's hanging on, so that the branch doesn't obscure the bottom portion of the ring, as it almost blends tones in this view;
- I don't mind the larger "branch" section to the left, as t does create balance in the photo, but possibly rotate/and or shoot from a different perspective and introduce some DOF so as to blend it more into the background and put more focus on the ring - your intent.

Again, just suggestions. :cool:

- Ken
Gear List | Facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | FeedBack |
GreyStoke Photographyexternal link

PhotosGuy
75,826 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 14, 2014 10:53 |  #7

rebelsimon wrote in post #16687488 (external link)
The ring is hanging on a tree-shaped jewellery hanger meant for necklaces.

I don't mind the "flair" of the flare, but since you didn't seem to be at a wedding, at least one of the lights should have pointed at a wall or card to put some broader reflections in the ring & make the metal look better.

Coin Lighting - a slightly different 1 light take on it.

Table Top Studio - Jewlery, coins, glass, flowers...
http://www.tabletopstu​dio.com …s/jewelry_photo​graphy.htm (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

slookx24
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 14, 2014 18:01 |  #8

Yeah, the sparkle on the band is a little distracting. Should be on the diamond.

sponsored links

1,056 views & 0 likes for this thread
Second try at a ring shot, feedback appreciated!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.