Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 21:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I may purchase a 550D for shoot video, is it a good idea?

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 14, 2014 12:32 |  #16

The thing to remember is that "full HD" video is not very high resolution (when compared with digital still images). 1920x1080 = 2.1 megapixels. Even a relatively low-end consumer HD camcorder can handle that, no problem.

The advantages of using a DSLR for video are such things as shallow depth of focus, perhaps less compression loss, etc.

Unless these kinds of things are attractive to you, the usability for casual video shooting is a major advantage for the camcorder (powered zoom, continuous AF, better built-in mic (sometimes), etc.)

Most of them can even do a passable P&S level of still photo if need be.

If you move up the line a bit to the more "prosumer" lines, everything gets even better.

If you decide to go for the T2i for video, just be sure you know what you are getting (and, perhaps more importantly, what you are NOT getting).

Tom

sponsored links
5D3ismydream
THREAD ­ STARTER
160 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 14, 2014 18:59 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Got a used Canon Kiss X4 for 380USD (8000 shots)

CanonVsNikon
255 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 14, 2014 23:02 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

Panasonic GH series (GH2, GH3, GH4) is your best bet

Raymond ­ XX4
121 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 14, 2014 23:25 |  #19

There are a tons of videos over on youtube proving that the 550d in a very capable camera if you know how to use it properly.
True top line professional video cameras with interchangeable lenses are more than likely to be manual focus too.

Customers are more interested in what you can produce rather than what equipment to use. :)

So in my opinion, the answer to your question would be yes if you are willing to take the time to learn how to use it. If not then go for a cheap HD video camera instead.

Kind Regards, Raymond
GO-GO Let the cider flow :)

1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 16, 2014 03:33 as a reply to  @ Raymond XX4's post |  #20

Amazing!! You start a thread asking if it's wise to buy a 550D for video... everyone answers no, and yet you still do it.

I notice this happens in every thread/question you ask... why bother asking?????

Kel
Gear

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 16, 2014 11:14 |  #21

1Tanker wrote in post #16692966 (external link)
Amazing!! You start a thread asking if it's wise to buy a 550D for video... everyone answers no, and yet you still do it.

I notice this happens in every thread/question you ask... why bother asking?????

Well, it was more like pointing out the operational disadvantages rather than just "no." I guess the OP decided he could cope with the disadvantages.

Although having to carry around a camera that says "Kiss" on it would be too much for me! :D

Tom

sponsored links

2,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
I may purchase a 550D for shoot video, is it a good idea?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.