Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 22:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

keep wasting money buying the same lens multiple times!

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,699 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 15, 2014 07:59 |  #46

I think I can help all of you out with this disorder problem...

When you decide to sell one of these lenses that you're going to buy again, just send them to me. I'll even pay the shipping. That way it will appear that you've made some money. I'll hold on to them, put them in my vault, with a label in front so I know who sent it. Then later on when you want to buy it again, I'll ship it back to you, however you pay the shipping this time. The buying feeling must be there, and paying the shipping costs should take care of it. We all win that way. You "sell" the lens, then "buy" it back, and in the mean time, I get to use it too..:grin::grin::grin:

Ron
My Gear List

sponsored links
Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,723 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 15, 2014 08:14 |  #47

If upgrades don't count, I've never sold & rebought any photo gear. But then I don't buy often.:)

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,088 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 15, 2014 08:25 |  #48

I buy used (and/or new at a excellent price) then sell. Out of all of the gear in my gear list link (cameras/lenses) I've lost 1,100 total. Yes, I keep a spreadsheet of bought/sold.

This is over 3 years. IF you factor in my current gear VS what The market price is if I had to sell everything I would make a little money and that 1,100 shrinks to 800.

So for $800 over 3 years to own my gear and take great images is a bargain.

Buying L glass used at great pricing ensures you don't lose much and/or gain.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 15, 2014 09:04 |  #49

I don't see lenses at an investment, nor do I buy a lens to make money selling it, but the cost is very minimal.
I bought a used 100mm 2.8 usm, used it for 4 months, liked it, and sold it for the same price, to buy the 100L.
Win-win.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

jt354
401 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 15, 2014 09:56 |  #50

MalVeauX wrote in post #16667065 (external link)
Heya,

Lol, I thought this was going to be a Sigma thread.

Don't get me started. I bought 2 Sigma 50mm f/1.4's off Amazon and returned both as defective for focusing problems. Ended up with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and eventually sold it after realizing I just didn't really care for 50mm primes on a crop body.

Back to the actual thread topic. I've sold several lenses that I later missed, but have never re-bought a lens in the same mount. For example, I loved my 70-200mm f/4L, but with my somewhat shaky hands I could never get sharp handheld photos slower than 1/320. Since I do a fair amount of low light work, I found that unacceptable and sold the lens. Couldn't afford the f/4L IS, so I bought a Tamron...on which VC doesn't work all that well. The cycle continues.

Of the lenses I've sold, the only one I would seriously consider re-buying for an APS-C camera is the Canon 100mm macro. I almost never used it because I find 100mm awkward on crop, but for macro work it was truly amazing. I think the moral of the story is: If there's an expensive lens that you need once in a blue moon, rent it or buy a used one. That way you won't have a $1000 sales opportunity gathering dust, or if you do you'll at least not lose very much money when you do sell that 135mm for the 4th time.

Zenfolio (external link)
flickr (external link)
Gear: Canon 60D / Canon G12 / Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 / Canon 35mm f/2 IS / Canon 85mm f/1.8 / Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 / Speedlite 430 EXII / Slik 700DX legs / Cullmann MB6 head

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 19, 2014 16:24 |  #51

I have not had this issue with camera equipment, yet. But I have had this issue with another hobby of mine - wristwatches. I owned 3 different copies of the exact same watch in one calendar year once, and easily blew more money in transaction costs than it would have cost to just keep the watch the first time around. This has happened off and on for about 15 years now.

It's G.A.S., and it's real. I'm trying REALLY hard to get a hold of that, especially for camera equipment. I already have more stuff than I need. I've been reading articles on how to control G.A.S., and reading more photography stories/ blogs where people just use one camera/lens or rather inexpensive gear to take wonderful shots. On this very forum, the cheap lens and the 50mm 1.8 sample thread really helps.

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 19, 2014 18:51 |  #52

The Dark Knight wrote in post #16702288 (external link)
I have not had this issue with camera equipment, yet. But I have had this issue with another hobby of mine - wristwatches. I owned 3 different copies of the exact same watch in one calendar year once, and easily blew more money in transaction costs than it would have cost to just keep the watch the first time around. This has happened off and on for about 15 years now.

It's G.A.S., and it's real. I'm trying REALLY hard to get a hold of that, especially for camera equipment. I already have more stuff than I need. I've been reading articles on how to control G.A.S., and reading more photography stories/ blogs where people just use one camera/lens or rather inexpensive gear to take wonderful shots. On this very forum, the cheap lens and the 50mm 1.8 sample thread really helps.

I successfully overcame G.A.S. but taking all of my equipment with me for two weeks. It was a pain to carry about all of it, and the only reason I did it was to prove to myself that it was too much. One camera and 7 lenses. Normal I would NEVER take all of it. T
hat was the point. Actually test what I reached for inside my bag and what got left behind.
That quickly convinced me to sell what I didn't reach for after two weeks.
From there, I tested my zooms fixed at different ranges and decided to go with a couple primes.
Originally I thought having 10mm-250mm covered was a great thing.
In fact, it made my shots very uncreative, just snapping away. Lesson learned.
What you see in my signature is my whole gear bag. I don't shoot longer than 100mm on FF. No need to. I could crop if needed.

To the OP: "Buy once, cry once." There is nothing wrong with just leaving a lens on a shelf. If you think you "may" rebuy it, then leave it alone. Or, wrap it up in a box like a present with wrapping paper and everything. Put it away.
When you miss it, open the free present! :D

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

geoff5093
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 20, 2014 08:52 |  #53

You aren't alone! I'm guilty of this as well, especially with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

I purchased the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II a few months after it was released. I used it for several months shooting sports, but since I was barely making $200 a year I told myself I couldn't justify it so I sold it. Several months go by and I realize how awesome it was, buy it again, but then 2 months go by and again I tell myself I just can't justify having a $2,500 lens just for a hobby, so I sold it (although this time I bought it at a great price of around $1,700 with discounts and sold it for over $2,000), then I went over a year without it. Now for the third and hopefully last time, I purchased it when I upgraded to a 5DMk3 and I'm hoping I won't sell it again, although I almost did and went as far as taking photos and getting the date code to list it here.

I also recently went through a gear clean up phase where I sold lenses that I rarely used, like my 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100mm macro, flashes, and more. I also sold a 17-40 and 24-105 in preparation for buying a 24-70 2.8 II, but now I miss the macro and primes and want to buy some back again. What you see in my sig is all I have left :(

Ahhhhh!

To the above poster, I know exactly what you mean about primes. When I shoot with zooms, especially with action, I find myself trying to frame the entire subject which sometimes leads to photos looking ordinary and not even keepers. When I shot with my primes I had no choice but to make due, and many times after shooting I find that photos I took that I thought were too close actually turned out to be very creative and were great keepers. Damnit, now you guys are making me definitely want to go with primes lol.

5D Mark III
Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 35 1.4

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 20, 2014 17:12 |  #54

geoff5093 wrote in post #16703865 (external link)
You aren't alone! I'm guilty of this as well, especially with my 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

I purchased the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II a few months after it was released. I used it for several months shooting sports, but since I was barely making $200 a year I told myself I couldn't justify it so I sold it. Several months go by and I realize how awesome it was, buy it again, but then 2 months go by and again I tell myself I just can't justify having a $2,500 lens just for a hobby, so I sold it (although this time I bought it at a great price of around $1,700 with discounts and sold it for over $2,000), then I went over a year without it. Now for the third and hopefully last time, I purchased it when I upgraded to a 5DMk3 and I'm hoping I won't sell it again, although I almost did and went as far as taking photos and getting the date code to list it here.

I also recently went through a gear clean up phase where I sold lenses that I rarely used, like my 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100mm macro, flashes, and more. I also sold a 17-40 and 24-105 in preparation for buying a 24-70 2.8 II, but now I miss the macro and primes and want to buy some back again. What you see in my sig is all I have left :(

Ahhhhh!

To the above poster, I know exactly what you mean about primes. When I shoot with zooms, especially with action, I find myself trying to frame the entire subject which sometimes leads to photos looking ordinary and not even keepers. When I shot with my primes I had no choice but to make due, and many times after shooting I find that photos I took that I thought were too close actually turned out to be very creative and were great keepers. Damnit, now you guys are making me definitely want to go with primes lol.

I agree you with. While I have not bought the same lens many times. I find exactly the same results using primes over zoom that you do. I took a trip to Kyoto, Japan and take my 650D and 17-55mm, it was great, convenient and I liked many of the photos. but after getting home I had many many snapshots, photos without really thinking. With a prime lens the photos either seem good or bad to me, not just so so. My gear is my signature. (+ or - a few more accessories)

James Patrus

geoff5093
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 20, 2014 18:20 |  #55

InfiniteDivide wrote in post #16704925 (external link)
I agree you with. While I have not bought the same lens many times. I find exactly the same results using primes over zoom that you do. I took a trip to Kyoto, Japan and take my 650D and 17-55mm, it was great, convenient and I liked many of the photos. but after getting home I had many many snapshots, photos without really thinking. With a prime lens the photos either seem good or bad to me, not just so so. My gear is my signature. (+ or - a few more accessories)

Exactly. I'm debating between the Sigma 35 1.4 and Canon 50 1.2, can't decide!

5D Mark III
Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 35 1.4

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 20, 2014 20:08 |  #56

geoff5093 wrote in post #16705066 (external link)
Exactly. I'm debating between the Sigma 35 1.4 and Canon 50 1.2, can't decide!

I chose 24mm and 50mm for wide and standard. If I were you, I would chose 35mm and then an 85mm for the FOV differences
but some other users have 35L and 50L. I chose the 24mm over the 35mm to go wider, and crop only if needed.
First decide if you like 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, or the 100mm FL. Then decide on which primes meet your needs.

James Patrus

sponsored links

6,392 views & 0 likes for this thread
keep wasting money buying the same lens multiple times!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.