Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Feb 2014 (Saturday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Blurry pictures with flash

jerrywb48
188 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 15, 2014 09:33 |  #1

I need some advice on improving my technique. I am shooting an event indoors with a flash. I'm trying to take candid shots of people enjoying the event. I use the built-in bounce card on my Metz 44 with the flash pointed almost straight up. The ceiling is very high with exposed rafters. It is not flat. I shot most of these at f/2.8, 1/80, ISO 800. I use Tv mode so I can pick a relatively fast shutter speed. I thought 1/80 would freeze the subjects. These jpgs are OOC.
Thanks for any advice.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

In some of the photos, like this one, it looks like nothing is in focus.
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

60D | EF 50 1.4 | EF 17-40 | EF-S 18-135 STM | A2 (film)
The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth." So it goes away.

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,879 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 15, 2014 10:19 |  #2

I use the built-in bounce card on my Metz 44 with the flash pointed almost straight up. The ceiling is very high with exposed rafters. It is not flat.

I don't have that flash, but we used to help it out with this in post #15: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=66358
In your situation, I'd have used direct flash dialed down to a fill setting. Tips for Xmas Ball Please
Look at the "Fill light at sunset" link in there for more.

I shot most of these at f/2.8, 1/80, ISO 800. I use Tv mode so I can pick a relatively fast shutter speed. I thought 1/80 would freeze the subjects.

1/80 won't freeze much of anything when mouths are moving in that situation. That's for the ambient light. The faster flash exposure is what will usually freeze the subject.
STICKY: ** IMPORTANT LINKS: EOS Flash ** (READ FIRST) (Updated: 2011/03/01)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,320 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Feb 15, 2014 11:51 |  #3

I don't think these are camera shake issues. They look like focus issues to me. The one of the woman standing with the drink: the focus is on the bricks behind her. In both shots of the people sitting, the focus is better on the edge of the chair on the right, although still not sharp. Check to make sure you're using the correct focus point. It almost looks like you're using one on the right side in all of the shots.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 15, 2014 13:27 |  #4

I agree that your shutter speed should not be a problem at a gallery crowd...people aren't racing around and sometimes if they move fast, it adds some motion blur which can be good.
It is either you who are moving or as joe says these are really OOF

ijohnson
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Feb 15, 2014 14:24 |  #5

What focal length were you shooting at?

www.trickoflight.net (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/i​tj12345 (external link)
Original 5D still ROCKS!!!

jerrywb48
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 15, 2014 15:30 |  #6

Thanks for all the comments so far. Yes, the people are not moving, but I am. I think sometimes I get in a hurry to get a shot before the people notice me, that I don't get completely set. Focal lengths were 30 to 50 mm on my 60D.

The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth." So it goes away.

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 15, 2014 17:06 |  #7

If you use a smaller aperature/ higher F-stop more of the image will be in focus. You might need to bump up your "film" speed to get proper exposure.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 15, 2014 17:13 |  #8

Try underexposing the ambient more. There's no reason you can't get a sharp shot with flash at 1/80th assuming the flash is the primary light source on the subjects. Rather than aiming the light up, aim it back over your shoulder, or off to the side. Basically, find a wall or surface to bounce off of, it doesn't have to be the ceiling.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

grfft3r
478 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 15, 2014 17:26 |  #9

ISO probably is too high. The ambient is still creeping in.

www.re-photography.com (external link)

jerrywb48
THREAD ­ STARTER
188 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 15, 2014 19:47 |  #10

Thanks for the all of your help
I'll go up a few stops on the aperture, slow down and pay attention to my focus point. I'll also play around with a different bounce. I think aiming it into the rafters is giving me inconsistent light on my subject.
The gallery is not very well lit. I keep the ISO high because I want the art work (the ambient) to be partially visible. But most of the time my subjects are are right in front of the art work, so the flash should illuminate it, yes?. I'll try a lower ISO as well.

sponsored links

1,206 views & 0 likes for this thread
Blurry pictures with flash
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.