Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 13 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 22:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon equipment at 2014 Olympics

Lesmore
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 13, 2014 22:25 |  #1

I remember reading about how much equipment Canon had at the 2012 London Olympics.

I wonder how much stuff Canon corporate has for pro photographers at the 2014 Sochi Olympics ?

I also wonder how they distribute the equipment ? Say a couple of pros want to borrow specialized equipment...but Canon runs out....who get's it ?

Wonder how the pro Canon vs Nikon competition is going ? Which firm is winning in terms of numbers of pro photographers using which equipment ?

Wonder how the one person pro freelancers do and what they bring , equipment wise...compared to the pros with established photography companies ?

Do they look for niche Olympic subjects, etc. ?

sponsored links
Digital ­ Puppy
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 14, 2014 10:43 |  #2

I don't know specifically what Canon has, but this was an interesting look (external link) at what Getty Images is using for gear at Sochi.

Getty Images staffer Robert Cianflone recently snapped and shared the image you see above with PetaPixel. What you are seeing is the photography gear – all $425,659.59 worth – that the team took with them to cover the games. It’s all high-end equipment, most of which didn’t even exist seven years ago when they started planning their coverage.

Here’s a list of everything pictured above:

• 20 Canon 1Dx cameras
• 3 Canon 5DmkIII cameras
• 1 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro lens
• 2 Canon 14mm fisheye lenses
• 2 Canon 15mm fisheye lenses
• 5 Canon 16-35mm zoom lenses
• 7 Canon 200-400mm zoom lenses
• 2 Canon 200mm f/1.8 lenses
• 2 Canon 300mm f/2.8 lenses
• 2 Canon 300mm f/4 lenses
• 2 Canon 35mm f/1.4 lenses
• 2 Canon 50mm f/1.2 lenses
• 2 Canon 400mm f/2.8 lenses
• 8 Canon 500mm f/4 lenses
• 10 Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses
• 7 Canon 8-15mm fisheye lenses
• 5 Canon 800mm f/5.6 lenses
• 2 Canon 85mm f/1.2 lenses
• And a set of Tilt Shift lenses

Just a little puppy trying to make it in a big digital world.

Lesmore
THREAD ­ STARTER
874 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 14, 2014 11:03 |  #3

Impressive array of very high end equipment. Thanks for posting.

Jan ­ Jasinski
Goldmember
3,002 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 14, 2014 12:54 |  #4

The 14mm is not a fisheye and I don't see any 200 f/1.8's. There may be 200 f/2's but not the old version.

photojan.ca (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 14, 2014 21:10 |  #5

More on Sochi shooting: http://jeffcable.blogs​pot.com …adlines-and-workflow.html (external link)

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 15, 2014 17:54 |  #6

Lesmore wrote in post #16688115 (external link)
I remember reading about how much equipment Canon had at the 2012 London Olympics.

I wonder how much stuff Canon corporate has for pro photographers at the 2014 Sochi Olympics ?

I also wonder how they distribute the equipment ? Say a couple of pros want to borrow specialized equipment...but Canon runs out....who get's it ?

Wonder how the pro Canon vs Nikon competition is going ? Which firm is winning in terms of numbers of pro photographers using which equipment ?

Wonder how the one person pro freelancers do and what they bring , equipment wise...compared to the pros with established photography companies ?

Do they look for niche Olympic subjects, etc. ?

I don't know about CPS (Canon), but I know NPS is generally a first come first serve on equipment loaners. Granted Getty, USATSI, Reuters, AP, etc have probably worked out a deal before hand for loaners.

As for one person pro freelancers? They bring their own stuff.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Waleriy
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 26, 2014 05:31 |  #7

original
http://bigpicture.ru …cle/fotograf-na-olimpiade (external link)
-------------
translation
http://translate.googl​e.com …e%2Ffotograf-na-olimpiade (external link)

IMAGE: http://zoneland.ru/forum/images/smiles/good.gif

sponsored links

2,030 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon equipment at 2014 Olympics
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.