Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Feb 2014 (Friday) 21:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer getting sued by the color run!

SeanWebster
237 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 14, 2014 21:40 |  #1

So apparently the color run is suing a photographer because their trademark is in his images for the color run. He is suing back because they used his images for commercial advertizing purposes without his permission. He apparently only gave permission to post his images on their facebook page.

Here is the story: http://fstoppers.com …or-compensation-for-image (external link)

What do you guys think of the matter?

I actually attended one of the runs in Miami and hope my images aren't being used without my consent. :confused:
---------------
Edit:

There seems to be an agreement made! I can't wait to hear more about it. :D

http://www.gofundme.co​m/thecolorrunsuedme (external link)

"We have been able to reach a joint agreement, that alleviates both the needs of maxxsphotograpy.com and The Color Run. We are happy to have avoided the drain of the legal system and look forward to continued great products from each of our companies.

The process of refunding money will begin over the next 30 days. I will also begin the formation of a 501c3 to aid and assist photographers negotiate for, provide legal resources for and provide financial fundraising to protect artistic rights."

6D + Red Rings |SeanWebsterPhotoexternal link | My Gear/Feedback | flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2014 22:21 |  #2

The full facts aren't out here. This photog had worked for a company hired by Color Run. Was he working for them when he shot these pics? If so, what does that company's contract say about images of the run shot by their employees? And like several folks mentioned in the comments, does the photog have a release from the girl in the picture?

Lots of sticky issues here. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Mark J.
Gear

SeanWebster
THREAD ­ STARTER
237 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 14, 2014 22:28 |  #3

Here is the court filings: https://www.pacermonit​or.com …/Color_Run,_The​_v_Jackson (external link)

I don't think he was working for them during the time of the photo.

“About 5 months after I shot the race I was contacted by someone I knew that worked with a company that sets up, breaks down and staffs Color Runs. They asked if I wanted to work color runs and it sounded like fun and good money so I said yes. While working for Silverback (company I worked with) I made my fb employment status that I worked at Silverback and The Color Run. That is their filing on the case but they have also argued that because their trademark “Color Run” is in my photos they are entitled to them.”

And a release form for the girl would be probably have been in the color runs contract when the runner signed up to run in the event. I don't think he would need one from her unless he did commercial advertising himself. He just posted the pics on his facebook. But that shouldn't be an issue unless she was to sue him over the image right?

6D + Red Rings |SeanWebsterPhotoexternal link | My Gear/Feedback | flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 14, 2014 22:55 |  #4

You're right, I misread that. Looks like he worked for them after the pics were shot.

If all he did with the pics was post them on FB, then no, he wouldn't need a release. And if Color Run's agreement with runners states their likeness can be used, then they need no further release. But if this guy is selling pics he took to Color Run, which would be the case if they agree to compensate him, then I believe he needs a release from her. But I'm not a lawyer and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so....

Mark J.
Gear

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 14, 2014 23:37 |  #5

They used the pic without permission. They basically admit that in their court filings.

Them counter suing him is beyond douchey.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,143 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 15, 2014 01:40 |  #6

SeanWebster wrote in post #16690372 (external link)
And a release form for the girl would be probably have been in the color runs contract when the runner signed up to run in the event.

except the release would have been so the organisers could publish shots. I know the company I work for had some sponsorship deal with the New Zealand Color-run event and they had a staff photo competition where anyone taking part had to basicly give away full rights to any shots taken.

Would have been a great event, but I wouldn't want to give away all rights (and have various companies use the shots commercially for free...) so I didn't attend.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Ghost240sx
390 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 15, 2014 11:17 |  #7

Max first came to shoot The Color Run because we granted his school class non-commercial access to come shoot the race in Miami where the photos in question were taken.

This might be where Max gets shafted. Depending on the agreement between Color Run and Max's school, they may very well have rights to his photographs.If he was there on his own volition and not as a student with his class that was granted non commercial access (that probably had a whole bunch of stipulations) things would be very different.

"The challenge is to make the best possible choices in how to take a photograph that can impart that feeling of awe or excitement to the person that views it."-Rob573

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 15, 2014 11:19 |  #8

Never heard of a Color Run before. What a good way to get that color stuff onto and into your gear. No thanks.

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,453 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 15, 2014 11:41 |  #9

the flying moose wrote in post #16691275 (external link)
Never heard of a Color Run before. What a good way to get that color stuff onto and into your gear. No thanks.

I saw an article that covered that (link here (external link)). It can really mess with your gear badly. We had a Holi festival here at the university (similar colored powder) and I bought a full raincoat setup for my gear to shoot that. But then due to weather it got rescheduled for a day I was gone. You really need to have some sort of protection for your gear if you're going to shoot around that powder.

Mark J.
Gear

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 15, 2014 17:57 |  #10

Ghost240sx wrote in post #16691267 (external link)
This might be where Max gets shafted. Depending on the agreement between Color Run and Max's school, they may very well have rights to his photographs.If he was there on his own volition and not as a student with his class that was granted non commercial access (that probably had a whole bunch of stipulations) things would be very different.

The school can't sign away Max's copyright. If The Color Run had a contract that Max had signed giving them permission to use the image, they would have published it in their response yesterday rather than whining about Max's stupid demands.

Current Gear List

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 15, 2014 19:14 |  #11

If you photograph a color run event they, in their information state they have rights to your images. You photograph their event, they have your image if they see it and want it. If you don't like those rules don't shoot. (It's somewhere in their website).

On another note, who would take their camera or lens to that? I think borrow lenses posted an article on the damage jt causes.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 15, 2014 19:14 |  #12

M_Six wrote in post #16691312 (external link)
I saw an article that covered that (link here (external link)). It can really mess with your gear badly. We had a Holi festival here at the university (similar colored powder) and I bought a full raincoat setup for my gear to shoot that. But then due to weather it got rescheduled for a day I was gone. Your really need to have some sort of protection for your gear if you're going to shoot around that powder.

That's gross. Imagine what it does to your lungs?

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 15, 2014 20:42 |  #13

stillinamerica wrote in post #16692236 (external link)
If you photograph a color run event they, in their information state they have rights to your images. You photograph their event, they have your image if they see it and want it. If you don't like those rules don't shoot. (It's somewhere in their website).

On another note, who would take their camera or lens to that? I think borrow lenses posted an article on the damage jt causes.

Are color runs completely closed? That is, are they ticketed or passed to get near the track? I doubt the photog had this kind of agreement (again, the school can't agree to that for him). The Color Run can say a lot anything they want, doesn't mean it will pan out in court.

Really interested in this one.

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,388 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 15, 2014 22:06 |  #14

Thomas Campbell wrote in post #16690462 (external link)
They used the pic without permission. They basically admit that in their court filings.

Them counter suing him is beyond douchey.

Standard business practice. Someone sues you and you threaten to counter sue, for made up offence, in an attempt to scare them off.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 15, 2014 22:28 |  #15

stillinamerica wrote in post #16692236 (external link)

Having it on their website does not make it an enforceable contract.

MattPharmD wrote in post #16692428 (external link)
Are color runs completely closed? That is, are they ticketed or passed to get near the track? I doubt the photog had this kind of agreement (again, the school can't agree to that for him). The Color Run can say a lot anything they want, doesn't mean it will pan out in court.

Really interested in this one.

Doubt it. I think they encourage friends and family to cheer on the runners before their lungs collapse due to paint inhalation.

Dan Marchant wrote in post #16692599 (external link)
Standard business practice. Someone sues you and you threaten to counter sue, for made up offence, in an attempt to scare them off.

In England, if you file a frivolous suit and a judge throws it out, you are ordered to pay the defendant's fees associated with it.

Unsuprisingly, they don't have as litigious a society as us.

By posting below me, you agree to become my unpaid lighting and gear carrying assistant for life:

Current Gear List

sponsored links

6,057 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer getting sued by the color run!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.