Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 16 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ever Dropped Your Camera?

mark48
919 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 16, 2014 09:11 |  #1

I was wondering how many people have actually dropped their camera. I never have but am paranoid about it and was wondering what steps people have taken to prevent, or at least, cut the chances of it happening. If I'm out shooting, I like to carry mine by a wrist strap and don't like to use shoulder or neck straps in general. I think I'll be okay as long as I continue to use a wrist strap.

sponsored links
20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 16, 2014 12:11 |  #2

A little paranoia is quite normal in humans.

Besides, glass lenses dropped onto a concrete floor seldom bounce.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 16, 2014 13:41 |  #3

I have not, and hope I never do. I have bags that allow for easy loading and unloading of the camera and I will always keep the Cinch looped around me in some way when I am out with it.

If I do..well, that is why I have insurance.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 16, 2014 13:52 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Never.
But I think neck straps are better than wrist.
You can let it go by hand but seldom lose your neck.

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 16, 2014 13:56 |  #5

I have numerous times in my shooting have had the strap snag something as I pass by something and almost jerk the camera out of my hand . But now I pick it up by the strap..

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 16, 2014 14:02 |  #6

EL_PIC wrote in post #16693997 (external link)
Never.
But I think neck straps are better than wrist.
You can let it go by hand but seldom lose your neck.

-Marie Antoinette

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

20droger
Cream of the Crop
14,685 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 16, 2014 15:10 as a reply to  @ Keyan's post |  #7

I remember driving down a highway with a friend of mine and passing a herd of pronghorn antelope. He stuck his head and camera out the window to take a snap, then hit the camera on the door frame when coming back in. Cameras and lenses dropped onto the highway at 75 mph do not survive!

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 16, 2014 18:23 |  #8

Yes, I dropped my 2 week old T3i off our kitchen island. The camera god was kind to me, and the camera (and attached kit lens) suffered no damage. It did however throw a pretty good scare into me, and made me much more cautious with my gear. That was over 4 years ago, and I've not dropped a camera since.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

Eagle
Goldmember
4,371 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2005

Feb 16, 2014 19:20 as a reply to  @ CMfromIL's post |  #9

I've had camera, and gear, in bag get knocked off my gun safe by cats. About a five foot drop with no issues. I've dropped my bag with all gear in about 3 feet, bag was unzipped and nothing feel out, no damage done. Camera and 100-400 rolled off car seat to the floor when having to stop quickly, no damage there either.

Things happen over time. (knocking on wood)

7D MKII ■ 10-22 ■ 15-85 ■ 28-135 ■ Σ 50-150 ■ 70-200 f4L ■ 100-400L ■ 580EX II
Gear-PCSmugMug (external link) ShutterStock (external link) Alamy (external link) Eagle's Nest Photography (external link)

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,367 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 16, 2014 20:48 |  #10

Many years ago I bought the new Minolta Maxxum 9 to shoot my daughters wedding. Already had a Maxxum 7 but wanted a 2nd SLR camera for back-up and it was a good excuse to buy a new camera. Ordered it a month ahead so I would have some time to play with it. I had it about a week, was going to go out and shoot some and sat it on the table along with my camera bag. Went to get something out of the camera bag and grabbed it, the bag strap caught the camera strap and the camera went sliding off the table onto the floor. Landed on the corner of the body and the lens, broke the lens mount and cracked the body at the mount.

After inventing a few new four-letter words I called the Minolta and explained the situation, sent it in and they had it fixed and returned to me in time for the wedding. I think it was right around $175 or so for the repairs (not cheap back then but still...) I was always impressed with Minolta equipment and service but this was above and beyond as far as I was concerned. I with they hadn't dropped the ball so badly when the digital age came around, I probably would still be shooting Minolta today.

Michael
Gear List

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 16, 2014 22:33 as a reply to  @ Firemike's post |  #11

Several memorable drops in my time.

1. When I was working as a photographer for a large heavy industrial plant, I was photographing the installation of a gigantic lathe in a machine shop. I was on a crane track getting a few overhead pics. Nikon F/Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 on a tripod. I was just wrapping up, unscrewing my camera from the tripod, the crane moved which gave me a start. I grabbed the tripod not knowing the camera was hanging on by a thread. Camera fell off the crane track onto a piece rolled up conveyor belting then slipped onto the concrete floor.

Camera and lens looks a bit second hand, but usable. I still have said camera and lens.

2. Working for a newspaper before digital. A hang glider went over a cliff, I was assigned to cover it. Police rescue already on the scene, patient about 30 meters below. I was traversing a slippery path, slipped and dropped my Nikon F4/ 80-200mm f/2.8. Camera and lens slid the rest of the way coming to rest about 10 metres from the patient. I kind of crawled, then ran back to the car, grabbed my Nikon F90X and managed to get the patient being hauled cliff top by police rescue. My F4 was sitting on the stretcher between the patient's legs being also hauled up. Nikon a right off, patient only minor injuries.

3. There is a Nikon F4 at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean about five or six kilometres off the New South Wales coast :o

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 17, 2014 03:39 |  #12

I have had numerous instances of cameras taking nose dives into sand, water, and mud. After the first sand incident, I quickly learned that insuring my gear takes away all of the worry. I no longer blink an eye. Just focus on shooting. I think that a lot of people baby their gear like it is an expensive piece of jewelry. But to me, that takes away all of the enjoyment in shooting because it is distracting me from what I love to do. Make beautiful images.

--
flickr (external link)

mark48
THREAD ­ STARTER
919 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 17, 2014 05:09 |  #13

Some of the stories would give me a heart attack.

Evan wrote in post #16695517 (external link)
I have had numerous instances of cameras taking nose dives into sand, water, and mud. After the first sand incident, I quickly learned that insuring my gear takes away all of the worry. I no longer blink an eye. Just focus on shooting. I think that a lot of people baby their gear like it is an expensive piece of jewelry. But to me, that takes away all of the enjoyment in shooting because it is distracting me from what I love to do. Make beautiful images.

That's good advice, Evan.

robinpow
108 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 17, 2014 08:00 |  #14

I haven't but TSA did years ago. My 5D was only a few months old and had the 100-400L attached to it when TSA in Hawaii decided to take it out of the bag for inspection. Took a hard 4' drop on the floor and much to my surprise, nothing was broken. However I did have a strong urge to hit the bar afterwards.

Firemike
" lingering odor "
3,367 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 17, 2014 08:32 |  #15

3. There is a Nikon F4 at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean about five or six kilometres off the New South Wales coast

This one is truly sad... not even having the pieces left to mourn over...

Michael
Gear List

sponsored links

3,724 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ever Dropped Your Camera?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.