Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 16 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New operating systems = New software = more $$$

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 16, 2014 08:54 |  #1

Hello POTN,

As we all know when we upgrade computers and operating systems old accounting software no longer work. I am looking for new software and came across some that happen to be free "Wave" www.waveapps.com (external link)

Also quicken 2014 home & business has a 40% off sale at $68

Since there are so many photographers here, what do you all use?

I searched "accounting software" and the last post was in 2012!
Please respond with a link to the software you use and a few major benefits if possible.

I look forward to the responses.

Thanks!

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links
J ­ Michael
969 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 16, 2014 09:20 |  #2

My primary criteria is "What does my accountant recommend?". He's familiar with QuickBooks. So, assuming you don't have an accountant, I guess I would be asking myself "Can the data in the software I'm considering be easily exported to QuickBooks if I later hire an accountant?" - your accountant might be able to get to the data in some non-standard software package but in the end you will end up paying for the extra time required. If you later have to migrate to QB then you have bought software twice and will have had to learn two different packages. So I'd put a crowbar to my wallet and get QB to start with.

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 16, 2014 10:08 |  #3

I've been running QuickBooks Basic 2002... apparently for 12 years. I have it running today on my Windows 7 (64-bit) machine without any issues.

I've never used it to produce reports or anything of that nature, but rather as an invoicing/estimate generating tool.

I have an Excel workbook that I generated years ago, to which I enter my sales and purchases (different tabs) on a quarterly basis (also different tabs). At the end of the year I print each of these quarterly statements, along with the yearly summary page and provide them to whomever does my tax prep. I had been using the same person for tax prep for the past ~10 years, but he has retired as of last year. This will be the first year that I use someone else to do my tax prep, but I have all intentions to provide the same information. We'll see what he has to say about it...

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 16, 2014 17:23 |  #4

Quickbooks 2010 - only used for invoice creation though.

themugman
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 16, 2014 18:37 as a reply to  @ Nightstalker's post |  #5

I was using QuickBooks 2006 until I upgraded to Windows 7. Had to upgrade to the latest 2011 at the time. Now that QuickBooks 2001 is still working for Windows 8. It's just what happens with anything.... give it 10 to 12 years or even less and all our cameras will be dinosaurs to. :D

Display your photos proudly!
Brilliant Aluminum Photo Panels
photoart.themugman.ca (external link)

fiveFPS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 16, 2014 23:40 as a reply to  @ themugman's post |  #6

Thanks everyone for the responses. I'll stick to quickbooks. A great deal at $68 for the 2014 H&B.

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links

935 views & 0 likes for this thread
New operating systems = New software = more $$$
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.