Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pacsafe C35L Camera Bag Protector

counterpoint
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 16, 2014 22:57 |  #1

I was looking for a way to secure my Lowepro DSLR Video Pack 250 AW and wanted to buy a Pacsafe bag that would fit it.

I sent an email to Pacsafe asking which bag would fit that Lowepro Model and they replied

Base on your needs, the Pacsafe 35L will fit comfortably (http://pacsafe.com …c35l-camera-bag-protector (external link))

The photo on the site shows it covering a backpack

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

I spent $100 USD on it plus shipping...

There is no way this fits the 250 AW!

IMAGE: http://chrisogrady.com/pics/pacsafe_c35l_does_not_fit_2.JPG

It does not even fit a standard backpack without smashing it down!!! I don't even want to think about doing this with my Macbook 13 in there!

IMAGE: http://chrisogrady.com/pics/pacsafe_c35l_does_not_fit_1.JPG

If they would have told me to buy a bigger protector I would have but now I am stuck with this relatively expensive product that does not suit my needs.

Now I have to take everything out of my bag every time I want to secure it banging all my lenses together next to my laptop etc...

There isn't enough info about the sizes of these bags online and we have to rely on reviews and photos so I thought I should share my experience here.

:mad:

5D MKII | 550D | 24-105 f/4 IS L | Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS |Sigma 8mm f/3.5 | Nodal Ninja NN4 | 360Precision Atome | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
NManuel01
751 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 17, 2014 03:37 |  #2

Wouldn't a few locks be just as effective, maybe with a cable lock from master? Hook it up through the zipper pulls and secure it around a safe point?

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

counterpoint
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 17, 2014 03:52 as a reply to  @ NManuel01's post |  #3

You can open a zipper with a pen... Watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI (external link)

5D MKII | 550D | 24-105 f/4 IS L | Tokina 16-28 f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS |Sigma 8mm f/3.5 | Nodal Ninja NN4 | 360Precision Atome | Flickr (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 17, 2014 05:39 |  #4

counterpoint wrote in post #16695522 (external link)
You can open a zipper with a pen... Watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI (external link)

Who needs a pen? You can do it with your finger extremely easily. Who needs to reseal the bag; the gear has been stolen and thieves usually don't care what state they leave the remainder in.

There is NO security measure which one man can devise which another man can't get around. At best, all we can do is make our possessions less attractive and/or slower to access than the ones next door.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

Paulowen
128 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 17, 2014 06:35 as a reply to  @ Whortleberry's post |  #5

I use the smallest size (mesh-type) for a regular rucksack - no issues other than a bit on the heavy side, but peace of mind!

Gear? Don't want my wife seeing how much kit I've got ;)
www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk (external link)

tjfoto
36 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 17, 2014 13:49 |  #6

Have you tried laying the backpack front first into the bag with the backpack straps up and the pac safe cable pulled tight over the back of the backpack. Similar to a Thinktank rain cover. That way all the zippers are covered.And the pack is secured

counterpoint
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 17, 2014 22:24 |  #7

tjfoto wrote in post #16696558 (external link)
Have you tried laying the backpack front first into the bag with the backpack straps up and the pac safe cable pulled tight over the back of the backpack. Similar to a Thinktank rain cover. That way all the zippers are covered.And the pack is secured

I already tried that and it won't work. There just isn't enough surface area and the opening isn't big enough.

counterpoint
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 18, 2014 00:40 |  #8

Anyway... The product information on the site for the C35L shows a wire bag on a white background and two images of backpacks / rucksacks locked to poles.

http://pacsafe.com …c35l-camera-bag-protector (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Those are the images you have to go by when you are sizing the product. So I emailed them with an exact bag model to see if it would fit and they said it would fit "comfortably".

I just noticed on the "Stealth" model product info there is another photo of a smaller shoulder bag that is more accurate.

http://pacsafe.com …alth-camera-bag-protector (external link)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Just be warned that it will not fit a standard rucksack in the way it's pictured on the site.

Just documenting this here so nobody else is mislead.

counterpoint
THREAD ­ STARTER
29 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 27, 2014 21:10 as a reply to  @ counterpoint's post |  #9

Ok... Pacsafe was wonderful about this situation in the end. They went out of their way to try to satisfy me.

Without getting into the details I decided to keep the C35L and use it as a portable safe instead of trying to use it to surround my camera bag.

It's actually quite roomy and it fits two laptops, two camera bodies and 5 lenses along with our passports and valuables etc...

Because of the black cover around it nobody can see what is inside and the mesh wires have holes that are too small to fit standard DSLR lenses through.

I know, I know, all you need is some good wire cutters and you have defeated it but that's obvious. It's there to prevent crimes of opportunity or from simple hotel room break-ins. I am travelling in Bali for a month right now and not Central America anyway. I don't stay in hotels where people carry around wire cutters. It gives you peace of mind when you go out to dinner or to breakfast in the morning and you can leave those lenses in it that you probably should have left at home in the first place when you want to go out without them (again).

There aren't enough videos on Youtube about Pacsafe products... I can't imagine travelling without this thing again.

I am definitely going to make a Youtube vid about how I use it and to give a better idea of it's size and how to use it.

sponsored links

3,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pacsafe C35L Camera Bag Protector
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.