Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Feb 2014 (Saturday) 16:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Basic natural light portrait critique request

gsouder
78 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 15, 2014 16:24 |  #1

Hey Guys and Gals!

I took these a couple of days ago. They were meant to be used as a basic portrait/headshot. Please give me some constructive feedback on these and let me know what you think can be improved.

Natural light, 5d Mark II, 85 1.2 @ 2.0

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ZE-photo.com (external link)
Fiftytwofaces.com (external link)
Vegan food
Portraits- People
Portraits- Animals

sponsored links
GrendelKhan
552 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 15, 2014 17:31 |  #2

Love the sharp focus on the eyes. My monitor shows the necks to have a somewhat green hue. Very nice work overall.

Pixil ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 16, 2014 03:50 |  #3

i agree skin tone is a little off and might even be too shallow for my taste

Denver wedding and event photographer (external link)
My photography Blog (external link)

AZ ­ Pix
565 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 16, 2014 10:56 as a reply to  @ Pixil Studio's post |  #4

Just my 2 cents. The brightness of her skin at her shirt's neckline takes my eye there and competes with her eyes. You could dodge that area, but maybe a little tighter crop would be better?? Otherwise, lovely work!

StanNJ1
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 16, 2014 11:23 |  #5

Nice shots. A little too heavy with the sharpening tool on the eyes. And the forehead needs some cleaning up. Otherwise nice.

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.stansphotos.com (external link)
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotos (external link)

gsouder
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 16, 2014 14:50 |  #6

StanNJ1 wrote in post #16693663 (external link)
Nice shots. A little too heavy with the sharpening tool on the eyes. And the forehead needs some cleaning up. Otherwise nice.

Talk to me about sharpening on the eyes. Why do you think they are too sharp? Not a challenge, just trying to define your observation.

Vegan food
Portraits- People
Portraits- Animals

gsouder
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 16, 2014 14:52 |  #7

GrendelKhan wrote in post #16692046 (external link)
Love the sharp focus on the eyes. My monitor shows the necks to have a somewhat green hue. Very nice work overall.

I see the green hue now, thanks for pointing it out! One of things where I didn't notice it and now I can't unsee it.

Vegan food
Portraits- People
Portraits- Animals

mrniceguy715
556 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 16, 2014 15:18 |  #8

I love the models look, the lighting is good really vibrant. But as mentioned color a little off, a little too shallow, and would like to have it go to the top of the head and less to the bust.

Let me know what you think of my site please
CoreElements (external link) | Flickr (external link)|Facebook (external link)|500px (external link)|Google+ (external link)
Canon 6d | Pentax 645 | Mamiya RZ67 Pro | Canon EOS 1n | Several vintage 35mm

lookstrong
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 16, 2014 23:15 |  #9

Her eyebrows seem blurry to me. I'm not sure if that was a makeup choice or a post processing choice, but I noticed it before I noticed her beautiful eyes.
My eyes have a hard time finding a place to rest in these photos because only her lips and eyes seem to be in focus, with all the extra blur happening. I think the blurring is having the opposite effect than desired. My eyes go straight to every wrinkle or pore that hasn't been airbrushed.
Lighting wise, I think this is lovely. With a softer hand on the blur, I'd be happy to call this my headshot!

Ancora Imparo- Still, I am learning.
5d mkii | rebel xsi | 50mm 1.8 | 40mm Pancake | 75-300mm | Rokinon 14mm

Pixil ­ Studio
Goldmember
1,270 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 16, 2014 23:33 |  #10

it must be over sharpening thats making her skin almost look pasty and her nose looks wider to to the blurring

Denver wedding and event photographer (external link)
My photography Blog (external link)

ResolutionMax
404 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 17, 2014 19:03 |  #11

First - Both are nice shots.

I am not really sure about the sharpening comments. I am guessing it might not be a sharpening issue rather than a blur issue. Did you use the blur tool to try and increase DOF effect? I ask that because in the first image the eye is well in focus but the eyebrow seems quite blurred, yet the cheek bone which should be close to the same depth as the eyebrow seems in focus.

Trent
5D MK II : 24-70 2.8L II : 70-200 2.8L IS II USM : Canon EOS M5

gsouder
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 18, 2014 12:08 |  #12

No, the DOF on both shots were done in camera. One thing that I noticed is that on the first one the eyes are crisp but the tips of the eyelashes are blurred. I think this is a case of me working the aperture too much. If I was a little further away, or I notched up the DOF a stop or two I would have gotten a crisp image of the eyebrow through the inner face making it a more engaging photo.

Also, the post on color I completely see, it does have a vague green cast to it.

I don't see a sharpening issue however. On the second one her eye lashes and eyes are crystal clear, I just looked at the original, full res image and I don't see any distortion at 100%. Can anyone help me understand where the sharpening issues are?

By the way, this is really helpful. I love shooting wide open, but this is a lesson on control and taste. These could have been better images with some aperture discretion.

Vegan food
Portraits- People
Portraits- Animals

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 18, 2014 14:53 |  #13

i agree with the other comments. burn down the chest area so it doesnt steal attention and work on smoothing the skin just a bit, it looks blotchy.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,825 posts
Gallery: 169 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 18, 2014 14:55 |  #14

I'm not loving the super shallow DOF. Its thin enough to detract rather than add to the image.

awesomeshots
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 18, 2014 20:13 |  #15

gonzogolf wrote in post #16699548 (external link)
I'm not loving the super shallow DOF. Its thin enough to detract rather than add to the image.

This. :)

It's a head shot. I'd like to see her facial features nice and sharp not just her eyes. :)

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 6D, Canon 24-70 F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/4L IS, 135mm 2.0 L, 85mm 1.8, Speedlite 430 II.

sponsored links

2,998 views & 1 like for this thread
Basic natural light portrait critique request
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.