Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Feb 2014 (Monday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How do you handle the 5% of situations when you may need a lens?

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 17, 2014 20:14 |  #1

I noticed a number of you guys have a minimal amount of equipment. Something I see often may be something like a 7D, 17-55 f/2.8, and 85mm 1.8. A body, 2 lens. I'm curious what you guys do when you need to shoot something that your equipment may not cover. For example you go to a pro baseball game or something. Do you rent? Make do with the 85mm and go for wider more creative shots?

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 17, 2014 20:21 |  #2

Rent, sometimes when I need a a wide angle but just have a 35mm+ lens on me I'll just take lots of pictures and stitch them together.

This also comes in handy when I want the medium format look but I can't afford a $15,000-$50,000 MF digital system. You can use the brenezier method to mimic it.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

kawi_200
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 17, 2014 20:51 |  #3

I pretty much just buy the lens I want/need to cover what I am trying to shoot. I tend to use my tax returns towards gear, but when I changed jobs a couple years ago I ended up with a good amount to spend and basically doubled my gear. I figure that renting a lens for a year would cost however much, but buying a used lens, 300mm f/4L IS for $850 and using it for as long as I like then selling or trading to for something else keeps me at the same cost give or take a little bit. The "rental" fee never goes up or down by to much.

When I find a lens limiting me, such as the 300mm f/4L IS, I will wait until I can upgrade and then sell it. I bought the 400mm DO and am now getting rid of the 300mm. Such is the case with other lenses. I just change around my kit usually by trading. I went from 300mm to 24mm TS mk1, got the 24mm f/1.4 mk2 so traded the 24mm TS for another 300mm, then got the 400mm and am selling the 300mm...... again.

5D4 | 8-15L | 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 24L II | 40mm pancake | 100L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mk2 | 400mm f/4 DO IS

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 17, 2014 21:34 |  #4

Generally people who don't have lens, simply don't take photos when they lack the gear needed, especially when it comes to telephoto. Or you put your birds in the freezer first.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 17, 2014 21:43 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Make do with what I have. What else?

I don't rent. Unless the client can be billed for the rental (and so far I haven't had any clients willing to do so), renting is just too prohibitive. Heck, when a rental can be 1/3 the price of the lens brand new, I would rather buy the lens in question.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 17, 2014 21:57 |  #6

I think that the notion that a photographer has to have a certain range covered without gaps (24-200, 17-400, whatever) is pretty much nonsense. After trial and error, I found that I'm just not terribly interested in the telephoto range. This was early on in my days at POTN, where gear lust can run rampant, so of course I thought that there just might be something wrong with me... but the love of the long lens still never took hold and I embraced it.

For a while, when I worked almost literally around the corner from Adorama, I would rent a long lens if I was going to the zoo or something, but even that desire faded. For something like a baseball game? Forget it - I'm there to be there, eating peanuts and cracker-jack, hot dogs and too-expensive beers. There nothing wrong with getting satisfaction out of a great shot of the batter making contact with the ball, but I get more satisfaction soaking in atmosphere and being a part of the crowd.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 17, 2014 22:24 |  #7

I move my feet or get creative. My lenses fit in my style of things I like to shoot so I am never lacking so much that a few steps can't fix.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 17, 2014 22:32 |  #8

Foot zoom is a myth. Moving is not the same as changing lenses.

GEAR LIST

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 17, 2014 22:39 |  #9

I've rented a 400 f/2.8L IS a couple of times when I shot some Big Ten college football games from the sidelines.
Presently I can cover 16-1000mm with only a few gaps.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 17, 2014 23:14 |  #10

I ask for 95% from my wife of why I need this new lens....ha ha ha

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 17, 2014 23:18 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

The Dark Knight wrote in post #16697593 (external link)
I noticed a number of you guys have a minimal amount of equipment. Something I see often may be something like a 7D, 17-55 f/2.8, and 85mm 1.8. A body, 2 lens. I'm curious what you guys do when you need to shoot something that your equipment may not cover. For example you go to a pro baseball game or something. Do you rent? Make do with the 85mm and go for wider more creative shots?

I just get a beer, hot dog and watch the game.:)

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 17, 2014 23:59 as a reply to  @ gasrocks's post |  #12

Unless you're a pro, you don't need to cover that 5%. Or you can just try to work with what you have.

Personally, I don't bring photo gear to concerts etc. I'm there to enjoy the event, not to make photo's.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,921 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 18, 2014 00:34 |  #13

vengence wrote in post #16697795 (external link)
Generally people who don't have lens, simply don't take photos when they lack the gear needed

I would think that this is true of 99% of the people on here, 99% of the time.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

deanedward
399 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 18, 2014 00:37 |  #14

If I don't have the FL for it, then I don't...it's not like I'm required to have all the available FL's :)

Make yourself heard
EOS 6D Mark II, EOS 70D, EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, Speedlite 430EX
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deanmejos/ (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 18, 2014 00:40 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

I guess a corollary question would be: do you carry ALL your lenses with you to every assignment or every time you go out to shoot, just in case you might need a particular focal length?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

3,881 views & 0 likes for this thread
How do you handle the 5% of situations when you may need a lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.