Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 18 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 01:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you use a tilt/swivel head on your monopod?

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 18, 2014 01:48 |  #1

I'm thinking of getting a monopod to use when I'm photographing sports with a
70-200mm zoom.
Do you use a monopod when photographing sports?

What model and brand do you recommend?

sponsored links
Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 18, 2014 02:14 |  #2

skilsaw wrote in post #16698174 (external link)
I'm thinking of getting a monopod to use when I'm photographing sports with a
70-200mm zoom.
Do you use a monopod when photographing sports?

What model and brand do you recommend?

Hi Skilsaw, I use a Manfrotto Compact MMC3-01 which came with a tilt head.

I my opinion this type of adjustment is all you need, although you will get many views to the contrary. I have never used other makes of monopod so can't comment of the value of one model over another.

The reason I don't use a swivel head is that, guess what, the monopod swivels! How amazing is that?

The reason I don't use a ball head with a monopod is that to make use of it you would need three hands to get the adjustments right. Again, you will get many views that disagree with my view - but, hey, I did say that this was only my opinion.

The great thing about monopods is that you can tilt and swivel them in all directions. Using a tilt head on top allows you to get the camera level (or at a specific angle) again.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

Shane ­ W
839 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2014 07:01 |  #3

I don't shoot sports much but I do own and use my monopod. It's a 20 year old Manfrotto 3 section. I added a Manfrotto 234 tilt head WITHOUT the OEM QR. These are getting hard to find since they were discontinued. I then added an Acra Swiss clamp from eBay ($18 shipped!) to work with my camera and lens plates. I use it with my 70-200 and Sigma 150-500. It pretty much goes everywhere with me.

Shane W

70D | Sig 10-20 | EF-S 15-85 | EF 70-200 2.8L | Sig 150-500 | Viv 28 2.5 | Sig 30 | Tak 50 1.4 [COLOR=blue]| EF 100 2.8 Macro | 1.4x TC | Nodal Ninja 3 | Tripods | Some Flashes | My flickr  (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 18, 2014 07:16 |  #4

I use the original RC2 head came off my Manfrotto 055 tripod. I found with motorsports that I often had limited room and could not simply move the monopod foot around to get the compositions I wanted, so the addition of a swivel/tilt head was a godsend.

Also, unlike the tripod, it does not need to be an expensive head. The odd sags are never noticed.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 18, 2014 07:24 |  #5

I have a Manfrotto monopod tilt head with a Kirk quick release (Arca Swiss compatible) attached to my Induro CF monopod. B&H used to sell them together as a kit -- not sure if they still do. The quick release allows me to use the same QR plate that is always attached to my 100-400L. I use the monopod primarily for wildlife shooting where taking a tripod is not practical.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

sawsedge
759 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 18, 2014 07:40 |  #6

I don't use my monopod anymore, but I had a Bogen 3232 tilt head with an old Kirk clamp (Arca-Swiss compatible). Cheap, but it worked. The only flaw is no tension control on the Bogen. It locks solidly though. I think these heads are still available for $20 (USD) or so.

- John

Wallace ­ River
" ...a bit of a pervy voyeur "
12,401 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 18, 2014 07:48 as a reply to  @ sawsedge's post |  #7

I use the Really Right Stuff MH-01 (external link), and find the tilt very handy. I shoot a lot of birds, and often they're up in trees. The tilt makes it easier than having to hoist the monopod up in the air to get a shot when just leaning the pod isn't giving me enough tilt. The big adjustment knob is awesome.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickr (external link). http://ianmurray.zenfo​lio.com/ (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,866 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 18, 2014 10:39 |  #8

Nope - i just screw it straight into the foot on the lens.

I dont typically use my monopod for a 70-200 though, just to support the weight of the big guns, 4002.8 etc

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,229 posts
Gallery: 593 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 18, 2014 10:51 |  #9

Echo63 wrote in post #16698912 (external link)
Nope - i just screw it straight into the foot on the lens.

I dont typically use my monopod for a 70-200 though, just to support the weight of the big guns, 4002.8 etc

Same here

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 18, 2014 12:16 |  #10

Wallace River wrote in post #16698566 (external link)
I use the Really Right Stuff MH-01 (external link), and find the tilt very handy. I shoot a lot of birds, and often they're up in trees. The tilt makes it easier than having to hoist the monopod up in the air to get a shot when just leaning the pod isn't giving me enough tilt. The big adjustment knob is awesome.

Another vote for the MH-01... I can adjust the friction control to follow the subject.

—Eric

Unbalanced
As one of the gluttons for punishment, I'm glad to see Chet's back
7,752 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 18, 2014 12:30 |  #11

I went with a Sirui L-10 on a Sirui P-326 monopod.

I leave the tripod collar loose, and the tilt head just loose, and have a very 'gimbal-like' pivot.

I use this setup with my 400 for birds.

Works for me.

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.
flickr (external link)

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2014 12:49 |  #12

I used a Manfrotto 234RC (actually its predecessor) until I converted over to Arca Swiss plates, now using a 234 in combo with a Wimberley C-10 (now C-12) QR clamp.

It's important to understand whether you have the f4 without tripod mount ring or the 2.8 or 4 with a ring. With a tripod mount ring the clamp can be aligned to allow tilt, ie up/down (forward/back) vs flopping it over to shoot verticals without the ring (ie monopod clamp at camera body).

There are more "elegant" solutions....but they also cost a fair amount more!

skilsaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 18, 2014 15:35 |  #13

Thanks for the quick replies.
Score 9 to 2 in favour of using a monopod.
Lots of variety of tilt heads available.

I think I'll get a head that uses the same quick release plate as my tripod. Saves the problem of arriving at an event and finding out I don't have a compatible linkage.

Thanks again.

chopperdave
Goldmember
1,195 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 19, 2014 00:35 |  #14

I use a tilt head, love having it.

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
racecarshots.com (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 19, 2014 01:02 |  #15

I use a tilt head on my Manfrotto monopod so I don't have to lean the pod at weird angles to get the shot.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

sponsored links

3,665 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.