Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 12 Nov 2013 (Tuesday) 16:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D mark II

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 09, 2014 17:26 |  #226

howiewu wrote in post #16659827 (external link)
Plausible. At this point in time (it is the year 2014 AD), nothing short of 24MP with 1-2 stops of better ISO performance than the original 7D will be "good enough".

Why does it need to be 24 MP? Canon's best camera uses 18.1 MP, and it's a full frame sensor.

I'd love to see a 14 MP 7D II with even faster FPS, increased buffer, and improved dynamic range and noise at low ISO's.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

sponsored links
ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,381 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 09, 2014 17:38 |  #227

Mike55 wrote in post #16676786 (external link)
Why does it need to be 24 MP? Canon's best camera uses 18.1 MP, and it's a full frame sensor.

I'd love to see a 14 MP 7D II with even faster FPS, increased buffer, and improved dynamic range and noise at low ISO's.

You must mean increased performance at HIGH ISO.

Maybe that way I'd be able to get clean shots of my nephew playing basketball. *smh :(

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 09, 2014 19:08 |  #228

Nope, I mean low ISO. The 7D has terrible blue channel noise at ISO 100. A crop camera is never going to be a truly good high ISO camera. That's the realm of full frame. But a crop *should* have a great low ISO.

I was appalled when I first shot the 7D on one of my favorite Rocky Mountain streams at ISO 100. The noise on the water's surface, in the shoreline shadows, and in the blue sky was like that of a consumer super zoom circa 2002.

I'd never seen anything like it from a DSLR.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

howiewu
627 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 10, 2014 13:35 |  #229

This is the year 2014 AD, yes, it must be 24MP (or at least 20 MP). Practically, we want more resolution. There is no snowball's chance in hell that the successor (if any) will have less resolution than its predecessor. Canon might as well quit the business if they bring out a 14MP successor.

Of course, that is not to say MP is everything -- it is not. But 14MP will not happen, mark my words.

5DII, 70D
17-40mm f/4 USM L, 24-70mm f/4 IS USM L, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24mm f/3.5 TS-E L, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 IS USM L, 300mm f/2.8 IS USM II L, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, 1.4x TC III, 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
Home Page: http://www.travelerath​ome.com (external link), Blog: http://travelerathome.​wordpress.com (external link)

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 10, 2014 13:49 |  #230

howiewu wrote in post #16678936 (external link)
This is the year 2014 AD, yes, it must be 24MP (or at least 20 MP). Practically, we want more resolution. There is no snowball's chance in hell that the successor (if any) will have less resolution than its predecessor. Canon might as well quit the business if they bring out a 14MP successor.

Of course, that is not to say MP is everything -- it is not. But 14MP will not happen, mark my words.

I don't think it will happen, either. Many people still seem to think that more megapixels=better. The 1DX is not aimed at those people.

dgrPhotos
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 10, 2014 14:48 |  #231

If Canon releases their version of a Pentax K-3 I would stock up on some Canon telephotos. I don't want to buy Pentax glass. ;)

Evan
Goldmember
1,327 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 10, 2014 19:51 |  #232

Mike55 wrote in post #16678974 (external link)
I don't think it will happen, either. Many people still seem to think that more megapixels=better. The 1DX is not aimed at those people.

It has been over three years since someone has come up to me and asked how many megapixels my camera has. People don't care about megapixels like they use to since they are happy with their iPhone images. From my experience, the people who asked me about megapixels were those who did not own a DSLR, but were people who's camera phone resolution was a joke if taken outside of their phone's screen resolution. Now that the camera phone image quality, at least on a computer screen, is comparable to that of a DSLR, I haven't seen those questions anymore.

--
flickr (external link)

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 17, 2014 19:52 |  #233

Talley wrote in post #16447343 (external link)
When the 7D came out it was really revolutionary. It sparked interest in a "sports" crop camera. The 7D has been used by pro's, as backups, many many many photo studios use them. It's features was none seen thus far and MANY of it's technologies rolled right into the 5D3 & 1DX.

It took features from the 1D series, built on it, and at the time gave a great sensor. Everyone... EVERYONE says if the 7D had a better sensor they wouldn't have a reason to get rid of it at all.

Now the speculations are the 7D2 has moved up in it's "classification" as a PRO crop camera and no longer a prosumer. I think Canon will AGAIN release a game changing camera. It's the 7D legacy :) It will be rich in features, a new never seen before sensor all new technology. This will be the camera that all future cameras will absorb it's features from including future 1D's.

Try out the latest and greatest on it's top of the line Cropper, get feedback and then perfect the next PRO cameras to include it's features.

I know this is wishful thinking but there has to be a reason things have evolved to where we are at know. The 70D has an awesome set of features and it's only 1200. I think the 7D2 will be a 2400 dollar camera and be the camera of choice for 5D3 owners. Duplicate body, features, faster FPS, better crop sensor than anything we have seen.

...oh and be video oriented lol :p

I know you said you were wishful thinking. However, my hope is that you are right. The 7D was a standard setter when it came out, so I hope the 7D2 will be also.

I never want to be without a 7D (or possibly 7D2) even if I upgrade to 5DIII. The 7D has been a terrific camera. I have over 50,000 pics on mine, and it has been great.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 18, 2014 18:34 |  #234

I agree - a 14MP sensor, that is properly clean, with good high ISO and stellar low ISO performance, with class leading bit depth/dynamic range would keep me in the Canon camp.

Otherwise, Fuji and M4:3 are both calling quite loud. Shame Fuji has no 1:1 100mm Macro lens...

Z...

sponsored links

37,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D mark II
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.