Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 18 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 13:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focused but still hazy

Rassilon
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 18, 2014 13:22 |  #1

For some reason my my pictures have started looking hazy in every shot. I have not changed any settings in the camera other than changing from:
Case 4: 0,0,1
to a:
Case 2: -.5,0,0

Each picture has the center focus point on chest or face of the player yet zooming in 1:1 and it looks hazy or blurry for some reason.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you.

i forgot to add the camera details:

Canon 5D Mark III
300mm Sigma f/2.8 lens
Fstop: 2.8
Exposure: 1/1000
ISO: 1000
EV: +1.3 Step
Shutter Priority
Manual White Balance
No Flash
2 Gel knee pads :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 18, 2014 15:23 |  #2

Rassilon wrote in post #16699305 (external link)
For some reason my my pictures have started looking hazy in every shot. I have not changed any settings in the camera other than changing from:
to a:

Each picture has the center focus point on chest or face of the player yet zooming in 1:1 and it looks hazy or blurry for some reason.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you.

i forgot to add the camera details:

Canon 5D Mark III
300mm Sigma f/2.8 lens
Fstop: 2.8
Exposure: 1/1000
ISO: 1000
EV: +1.3 Step
Shutter Priority
Manual White Balance
No Flash
2 Gel knee pads :)

A few observations. A higher ISO might work better than exposure compensation. Also, tighter framing might relieve the "hazy" look.

And you might want to make sure the lens' rear element is clean.

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 18, 2014 15:47 |  #3

I agree about trying to shoot tighter so you don't have to crop so much.

Don't know much about that Sigma lens. Have you micro-adjusted the focus? I know Sigma is producing some nice glass these days but I am still not sold on the AF of their lenses, especially for sports/AI servo.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 18, 2014 15:49 |  #4

Details on what these are would be nice, from someone who doesn't have a 5D III:

to a:

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Strouty
122 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 18, 2014 19:25 |  #5

Which Sigma 120-300 version are you using? (DG, OS, Sport?). I would say that if all of your shots are like the ones above, then your issue is about 95% likely to be due to shooting much too wide. Very few lenses can still look good when you are cropping so heavily. I used the Sigma 120-300 DG lens for a few years, and while a fantastic sports lens (with some AF quirks), it wasn't necessarily the sharpest lens I've ever owned. When you zoom in to view 100% crops, things due end up looking a little 'hazy'

It's also harder for the AF system to absolutely 'nail' focus when the subject is loosely composed in the frame.

Michael Strout | www.michaelstroutphoto​graphy.com (external link)
1DC | 1D4 | 5D4 | Ursa Mini 4.6k | 16-35L II | 24-70L II |24-105L IS | 70-200L IS II |
300L 2.8 IS | 400L 2.8 IS | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 135L | Rokinon 14-24-35-50-85-135 Cine |

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2014 21:09 |  #6

How will these shots look @ f4...@ 2.8 wide open you might get that hazy look...with a 300mm or other lens..
my sigma 70-200 2.8 is the same hazy but @ f4 it looks great... take a few @ f4.. then recheck..

good luck.

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 04, 2014 20:08 |  #7

cdifoto wrote in post #16699680 (external link)
Details on what these are would be nice, from someone who doesn't have a 5D III:

With the 5D3 these are specific adjustments for tracking sensitivity, acceleration/decelerat​ion, and AF point auto switching.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

ChunkyDA
Goldmember
3,706 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 04, 2014 20:12 |  #8

In these shots have a close look at the grass for a sharp plane of focus. If there is grass in sharp detail is it in front or behind the cleats. If there is no sharp grass you have a blurry lens.

Dave
Support Search and Rescue, Get Lost (external link)
Gear list and some feedback

sponsored links

1,299 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focused but still hazy
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.