Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 02 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 20:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fast Super Bowl pictures

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 02, 2014 20:42 |  #1

For those who wonder if they're ready for the deadline pressure of major sports photography: Sports Illustrated started uploading Super Bowl pictures  (external link)to their web site during the game, immediately after kickoff.

sponsored links
tmalone893
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 03, 2014 10:58 |  #2

DC Fan wrote in post #16659003 (external link)
For those who wonder if they're ready for the deadline pressure of major sports photography: Sports Illustrated started uploading Super Bowl pictures  (external link)to their web site during the game, immediately after kickoff.

I know the deadlines are fast but at these type of games there are runners for the photographers.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 03, 2014 11:02 |  #3

tmalone893 wrote in post #16660230 (external link)
I know the deadlines are fast but at these type of games there are runners for the photographers.

There are runners and how cat5 cables to hardwire the newest cameras (1dx and d4) directly into each agency's network.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Echo63
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 03, 2014 20:23 |  #4

xchangx wrote in post #16660240 (external link)
There are runners and how cat5 cables to hardwire the newest cameras (1dx and d4) directly into each agency's network.

Doesnt go straight into the network, but yea, a ethernet cable carries files to an editor who pics the good frames, captions, crops, tones and sends then to the agency - less than 5 mins from click to the website

Its much easier filing pics rapidly if you have an editor/tech nearby - when i started at the paper i sat on the sideline at a few games, working on pics for the photographer, so he coukd ckncentrate on shooting

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
9,281 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 04, 2014 05:16 as a reply to  @ Echo63's post |  #5

Heck, these days, everyone demands that kind of turn-around on the photos. Cell phones and social media have greatly changed people's expectations. Shooting youth sports, the parents and kids want the photos the same evening. Wait a few days and most lose interest.

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 04, 2014 12:34 |  #6

Same for the Olympics. I guess they have ethernet cables running right up to the half pipe or where ever.

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

Joe300
519 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 18, 2014 21:13 |  #7

yeah when somebody ask me how fast can I get the photo back to them... I tell them to hand me your cell phone... I take the photo then hand the cell phone back to them and say is that fast enough..
no extra charge...ha ha ha...
Oh my bad this is not wedding photography section.... ha ha ha..

A lot of Canon gear=300D & 1Dmkiii, Lens and some studio gear,
WL x1600 etc.
Two Bronica SQ-Ai outfit too! 'Old School'
www.joelaroccaphotogra​phy.com (external link)

Motor ­ On
941 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 18, 2014 22:31 |  #8

Here's a link to the Olympic Process: http://gizmodo.com …hers-capture-s-1521746623 (external link)

Tis the means to meet the standards of the day. I read these and just think "Oh, to have the budget to do such coverage." I just have to settle for my 15min for first upload 1hr for the remainder process times.

X-E2 arrived today, already been making use of the wifi to phone to social media, a year ago I'd have (and probably did) cry gimmick from the rooftops, but now it just seems the pace of doing business; photo mechanic needs to develop camera firmware to keyword the image as elements come in and out of frame for instant turn around.

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link)

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,555 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 18, 2014 22:50 |  #9

I read an article a while about about the ovwerall process. But basically it was pretty simple. A room with card downloaders and taggers. Another set of people to cull the images and a few to decide what goes up. A runner would head to a section of photographers, collect the cards at whatever status they are, full or not and run them back. Repeating this process as many times as necessary. There were of course several runners, etc.

Here is an older video

http://petapixel.com …aphers-at-the-super-bowl/ (external link)

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

sponsored links

2,298 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fast Super Bowl pictures
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.