Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 21 Dec 2010 (Tuesday) 06:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)

Slapheadyeti
Goldmember
1,966 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 17, 2014 05:11 |  #1891

They look great Mike. Things look so much different from the air. The first chopper shot it crisp.

Wayne A.W.O.L.
Canon 5D MKii Gripped, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 24-105 F4 L IS , Canon 70-200 F/4 L ,Canon 1.4X MKii , Canon 100mm f2.8 L IS, 2x Canon 430EX, Manfrotto 190XPROB, Manfrotto 494RC2,
http://www.slapheadyet​i.co.uk (external link) Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Martin ­ Dixon
Slit-scan project master
1,864 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 17, 2014 06:14 |  #1892

Lucky you, Mike. I'd love to get aerial. Looked up the propeller on Google maps - a bit obscured by a tent! But interesting to find these features best viewed from the air.

flickr (external link) Editing OK (external link) www.slitcam.com (free slit-scan utility) (external link)

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 17, 2014 07:39 |  #1893

Mike wrote in post #16695560 (external link)
Morning all, it's been a while since I was here...and even longer since I took photos!

Yesterday I went up in this:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://flic.kr/p/k9Xdv​V  (external link)

Really terrific photos, Mike, you really lucked out on the weather by the look of it.

I am really really tempted to get a trip in one of these again now I have a camera to take advantage of it, perhaps an early Christmas present? ;)

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 17, 2014 08:24 |  #1894

Go for it, it was brill! We waited about 3 weeks for the weather to clear, yesterday was the first decent weekend day.

This was who we flew with: http://www.helicharter​-uk.com/operations/serv​ices.html (external link)

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 17, 2014 12:04 |  #1895

Mike wrote in post #16695852 (external link)
Go for it, it was brill! We waited about 3 weeks for the weather to clear, yesterday was the first decent weekend day.

This was who we flew with: http://www.helicharter​-uk.com/operations/serv​ices.html (external link)

I spent the past half-an-hour goggling helicopter charters and boy am I tempted! Do you think it's reasonable to ask for a ride to just hover over where I live for a few photos, I guess it's pretty much the same as what you did isn't it?

What do you think of costs, did you get any idea from your flight?

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 17, 2014 13:46 |  #1896

Unfortunately I didn't know the cost, it's not overly cheap though so find some chums to share the load I'd say.

I'd certainly go again! 2 things that were a shame about our flight - 1 was that we didn't quite fly over Sandwich enough to get a shot of our house and the 2nd was that Mrs G was out horse riding with her sister and she saw us (we flew very near them) but I was on the wrong side of the chopper to see them. It would have been great to get an aerial shot of them riding. But I can't really complain as it was free (in fact, I'm being asked how much I want paying for it!).

Gear
UK South Easterners

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 18, 2014 04:00 |  #1897

Mike wrote in post #16696552 (external link)
Unfortunately I didn't know the cost, it's not overly cheap though so find some chums to share the load I'd say.

I'd certainly go again! 2 things that were a shame about our flight - 1 was that we didn't quite fly over Sandwich enough to get a shot of our house and the 2nd was that Mrs G was out horse riding with her sister and she saw us (we flew very near them) but I was on the wrong side of the chopper to see them. It would have been great to get an aerial shot of them riding. But I can't really complain as it was free (in fact, I'm being asked how much I want paying for it!).

Thanks Mike. I've been to a lot of the websites that offer this type of service and they are pretty cagey on pricing without calling or filling in forms which is rather pre-2014. One did say £99 which I can't quite believe. I'm guessing a bespoke 30min flight over Tunbridge Wells is going to be at least £500. Probably a bit much for a few photos.

Anke

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 18, 2014 06:53 |  #1898

Anke wrote in post #16698277 (external link)
Thanks Mike. I've been to a lot of the websites that offer this type of service and they are pretty cagey on pricing without calling or filling in forms which is rather pre-2014. One did say £99 which I can't quite believe. I'm guessing a bespoke 30min flight over Tunbridge Wells is going to be at least £500. Probably a bit much for a few photos.

did you look at this one:
http://www.ebghelicopt​ers.co.uk/sightseeing.​html (external link)

I found this by looking at the Redhill Aerodrome website and followed the links for helicopter flights. The one above offers different types of trips at varying prices but the Kent Heritage one looks reasonable value.

Many years ago I was fortunate enough to have a flight over Kent for free :D I was temping at the aerodrome in the office and one of the Captains that was in the office at the time said that if a test flight cropped up while I was there he would give me a shout. I wasnt sure at the time as I hate heights and wasnt sure if I wanted to go. Well, I got the call just as my temping was about to finish.

A small group of us were asked if we wanted to go on a test flight in a Sikorsky (not sure of the spelling lol) 12 seater - I was scared stiff but thought I would never have that opportunity again and went for it. So glad I did, it was fabulous. It was a clear blue sky sunny September morning and we did a few test bits in the fields first, then flew down the runway at Gatwick then up and over the Kent countryside - I will never forget that trip it was wonderful.

Linda

http://lindabuckell.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dragonwings55/ (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II and Canon 7D |40D |G12 | 350d (300D long gone)
400 F5.6L|70-200 F4L IS|24-105 F4L[COLOR=black] IS|18-55
Macro: 100mm F2.8L IS|100mm| F2.8 |60mm F2.8.

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 18, 2014 09:55 |  #1899

LindaB wrote in post #16698462 (external link)
did you look at this one:
http://www.ebghelicopt​ers.co.uk/sightseeing.​html (external link)

I found this by looking at the Redhill Aerodrome website and followed the links for helicopter flights. The one above offers different types of trips at varying prices but the Kent Heritage one looks reasonable value.

Many years ago I was fortunate enough to have a flight over Kent for free :D I was temping at the aerodrome in the office and one of the Captains that was in the office at the time said that if a test flight cropped up while I was there he would give me a shout. I wasnt sure at the time as I hate heights and wasnt sure if I wanted to go. Well, I got the call just as my temping was about to finish.

A small group of us were asked if we wanted to go on a test flight in a Sikorsky (not sure of the spelling lol) 12 seater - I was scared stiff but thought I would never have that opportunity again and went for it. So glad I did, it was fabulous. It was a clear blue sky sunny September morning and we did a few test bits in the fields first, then flew down the runway at Gatwick then up and over the Kent countryside - I will never forget that trip it was wonderful.

Linda

See, £330 seems ok for half an hour, I wonder if he'd skip all the rest of the tour and just hover over RTW for the whole time? :D

Anke

LindaB
Cream of the Crop
11,375 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 18, 2014 16:25 |  #1900

Anke wrote in post #16698810 (external link)
See, £330 seems ok for half an hour, I wonder if he'd skip all the rest of the tour and just hover over RTW for the whole time? :D

Give it a go on the phone - the flight captains are very amenable guys. Phone and say what you are after and see if they can accommodate it, it's worth a try.

http://lindabuckell.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dragonwings55/ (external link)
Canon 7D Mk II and Canon 7D |40D |G12 | 350d (300D long gone)
400 F5.6L|70-200 F4L IS|24-105 F4L[COLOR=black] IS|18-55
Macro: 100mm F2.8L IS|100mm| F2.8 |60mm F2.8.

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 19, 2014 03:24 |  #1901

Ask them to take the doors off - it's way more fun that way ;-)a

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 19, 2014 04:11 |  #1902

But you'd better wait until summer - be a bit cold otherwise!

I was offered a "doors off" experience, I said I was happy with shooting out the window thank you very much!

Gear
UK South Easterners

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 19, 2014 04:33 |  #1903

Mike wrote in post #16700874 (external link)

I was offered a "doors off" experience, I said I was happy with shooting out the window thank you very much!

Jonathan wrote in post #16700850 (external link)
Ask them to take the doors off - it's way more fun that way ;-)a

:D Noted :D

Anke

Anke
THREAD ­ STARTER
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 19, 2014 04:34 |  #1904

Out of interest, anyone interested in some Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Speed lights?

Putting mine up for sale here very soon.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Anke

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 19, 2014 05:13 |  #1905

Mike wrote in post #16700874 (external link)

Wimp :p

Just imagine your feet dangling out of the chopper while you go sideways over this :-)

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8259/10203226725_09b4d01a91_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …onathanadale/10​203226725/  (external link)
Victoria Falls from the air (external link) by Jonathan A Dale (external link), on Flickr

I have to admit I may have had a small drink before I did it :oops:

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

sponsored links

786,096 views & 304 likes for this thread
The 17th UK South-East "The Summer of Awesomeness" Thread (All Welcome)
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.