Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 18 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 22:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

get a 5D or new lens 24-70 2.8?

azucarrera
63 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 18, 2014 22:54 |  #1

hello all, im a newbie hobbyists. its been more than a year since ive postedhere haha. i just would want help on what to get next. i currently own a 550D with a 50mm 1.4 USM. Im really tempted to get a 5D markii(or mark iii) i was thinking in my head that i would benefit the low noise feature of the 5D but then i also know that most people say, if not all, that it is very much better to get a lens first. Hoping for kind replies :D

these are my type of shots

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D, Sammy 14mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4

sponsored links
CoJM
186 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 18, 2014 23:17 |  #2

Get the lens, the lens will be a more noticeable quality upgrade over the body.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 18, 2014 23:38 |  #3

If I were in your shoes I'd get a 17-55mm 2.8 instead.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

azucarrera
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 19, 2014 00:52 |  #4

so lens it is! 17-55? i wouldnt wanna get an EF-S lens tho, ive heard that the 17-40 is great maybe ill get that instead of the 17-55? my friend told me that a Tokina 11-16 2.8 will also be good if ever i would want to get Cityscapes

nes_matt
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 19, 2014 06:08 |  #5

Sounds like the only thing you are sure of is that you want something new. If you are looking to invigorate your photography get the lens. It will open up your photography world much more.

Decide first what you want to photograph and what the 50mm is not doing for you imo you will not regret a mid range zoom like the ones discussed above. The tokina 11-16 is a great lens - I have it - but it gets used by me o ly 5-10% of the time. My 24-105 is my workhorse, even before I bought the 6D.

Canon 6D & Rebel T1i | Tokina 11-16 F2.8 | Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro | Nifty-Fifty |85mm f1.8 | Canon 24-105 F4 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Flickr photo stream (external link)
Portfolio (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

azucarrera
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 19, 2014 15:24 |  #6

i have to admit that you are correct matt! i guess what i really would want is a wider lens that i can use in low light situations 'coz im so used to the 50 1.4mm. (i dont want to use a flash here in saudi arabia 'coz it'll just draw too much attention)

thank you guys for your replies! how bout my shots? any C&Cs?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 19, 2014 15:38 |  #7

azucarrera wrote in post #16700717 (external link)
so lens it is! 17-55? i wouldnt wanna get an EF-S lens tho, ive heard that the 17-40 is great maybe ill get that instead of the 17-55? my friend told me that a Tokina 11-16 2.8 will also be good if ever i would want to get Cityscapes

Wrong. The 17-40 is a great lens on a full frame camera where it acts as an ultra wide lens. On a crop body there are better options such as the EF-S 17-55 which has a faster max aperture 2.8, and Image stabilization. The EF-S lens is very sharp optically, rivaling some L lenses, but canon will not put the L designation on the EF-S lens.

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 19, 2014 20:17 |  #8

I suggest you get a camera with new technology. It will help you a lot.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

azucarrera
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 20, 2014 00:29 |  #9

gonzogolf wrote in post #16702171 (external link)
Wrong. The 17-40 is a great lens on a full frame camera where it acts as an ultra wide lens. On a crop body there are better options such as the EF-S 17-55 which has a faster max aperture 2.8, and Image stabilization. The EF-S lens is very sharp optically, rivaling some L lenses, but canon will not put the L designation on the EF-S lens.

ah so 17-55 is really that great! the reason why i dont wanna buy it bcoz of the price and its built for a cropped camera only. Or maybe bcoz ive been brainwashed by Ken Rockwell's reviews where he says its always better if u buy lenses for FF bodies so atleast u get a good resale price. dammit why is it like this whenever u start at something! u wanna do this, and this, and that :D

ok so now im thinking(again) maybe a wide lens with a decent price which can be used on a FF in the future. now im thinking of just getting the 6D and not the 5D coz its a bit cheaper XD

low5530
85 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 20, 2014 08:28 as a reply to  @ azucarrera's post |  #10

I can recommend the tokina 11-16mm 2.8. its been one of my favorites. I even found it useful for taking portraits of my child playing and out and about. perfect for capturing the moment while maintaining the importance of the scene. also not bad at all in low light. I recently went to gatlinburg tn aquarium and got some really cool pictures of my daughter amazed by all the fish and scenery in a low light setting usuing only available light. on the other hand for landscapes I have noticed u really to bring the aperture to between f7 to f9 for best results regarding sharpness with the tokina. anything outside of that and u will struggle to find anytying in perfect focus. the canon 10-22 is better in this application for landscapes but it also doesnt have to low light capabilities of the tokina. both are ef-s lenses although I hear the tokina will mount and not show any vinnette at 15-16mm range on full frame.

Canon 5d mark I, Canon 60d gripped, Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART, Rode videomic, Glidegear

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 20, 2014 10:04 |  #11

azucarrera wrote in post #16703317 (external link)
ah so 17-55 is really that great! the reason why i dont wanna buy it bcoz of the price and its built for a cropped camera only. Or maybe bcoz ive been brainwashed by Ken Rockwell's reviews where he says its always better if u buy lenses for FF bodies so atleast u get a good resale price. dammit why is it like this whenever u start at something! u wanna do this, and this, and that :D

ok so now im thinking(again) maybe a wide lens with a decent price which can be used on a FF in the future. now im thinking of just getting the 6D and not the 5D coz its a bit cheaper XD

Firstly, pretty much ignore anything Ken Rockwell says. If you must read him, at least confirm it with another source. I think its prudent to buy a lens that will fit both formats, provided that the choices are equal. In the case of the 17-40 and 17-55 for use on a crop its not equal, coming from someone who has the 17-40 and has used it on both crop and full frame. If you are going to move to full frame soon (by that I mean within months) buy accordingly. But if your plan is to go full frame eventually but not soon then buy the best lens for the job. These quality lenses hold their resale value quite well. If you purchase used, you can often resell at no loss.

azucarrera
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 25, 2014 09:24 |  #12

ok ok so now i've brought them down to two. the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC or the 24-105L hmm..

CoJM
186 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 25, 2014 13:41 |  #13

azucarrera wrote in post #16716062 (external link)
ok ok so now i've brought them down to two. the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC or the 24-105L hmm..

no 24-70 2.8?

azucarrera
THREAD ­ STARTER
63 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 25, 2014 14:09 |  #14

u mean the canon 24-70 2.8 ii? its pretty expensive. i want image stabilization on lens now coz i've shot a recent vid when we played Paintball and it was very shaky handheld

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,118 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 25, 2014 14:17 |  #15

azucarrera wrote in post #16716849 (external link)
u mean the canon 24-70 2.8 ii? its pretty expensive. i want image stabilization on lens now coz i've shot a recent vid when we played Paintball and it was very shaky handheld

IS doesnt magically make it a steadycam for video.

sponsored links

3,161 views & 0 likes for this thread
get a 5D or new lens 24-70 2.8?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.