Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 09:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

a year's worth of photos

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,454 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 19, 2014 14:47 |  #46

Good lord, that's an ambitious trip! Good on ya, man.

Since you have the 10-22, I'm assuming a crop body. I'd pack for 3 lenses but I'm going to depart a bit from the norm and I know I might be crossing your budget up a bit, but there are reasons:
10-22, obviously, for your landscape/nightscape/w​ide angle needs.

Tamron 18-270 or newer Sigma 18-200 for your all-around shooting needs. Not going to be top of the line lenses, but TOTL lenses will weigh a ton; both should give you good enough images, are compact and light and aren't totally bank breaking if something untoward occurs.

Canon 400 f/5.6. Relatively compact and light, for your wildlife needs. On that route you ARE going to see mammals, birds and reptiles that you will want better record of than the 200mm-ish options are going to make possible

I'd also consider one of the MeFoto travel model tripods, like the Globetrotter. These should collapse small enough to either pack or strap to your frame without adding TOO much weight and you're going to have sunrise/sunset/etc shots that just won't capture as well without one.

EDIT: Saw further comment that you're thinking portraiture; Another possible loadout would be:
10-22
Sigma 18-35
55-250 STM
(still strongly urge) 400 f/5.6

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links
ericcrazyman
190 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 19, 2014 15:43 |  #47

Pokerface, will you be lugging most of your stuff in saddle bags? If so, I see why weight is of no worry. I once traveled 320 miles in three days with 60 lbs in saddle bags which left me able to carry a fairly heavy camera bag with no problems. I think camera backpack was 13 lbs. Two bodies long and short mounted lens with needed support stuff.

A photograph is worth a thousand words, but Photoshop can produce a thousand lies. Photo editing allowed. I need all the help I can get.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,066 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 19, 2014 17:33 |  #48

i'd for sure bring the 10-22mm, and 30mm...now if i were you, i'd go for the 55-250STM, and skip the 23-29, 31-54mm range all together...however i can see others having an issue with that...so maybe the 18-250mm range of lenses instead

for a tripod, i got a mefoto daytrip tripod for christmas for my backpacking trips...haven't put it to much use yet, but it's small and tiny...they do have other styles that extend farther than the 2ft that the daytrip does, and they are still somewhat compact

i'd also bring along a gopro...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 19, 2014 17:42 |  #49

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16701655 (external link)
Isn't it funny? You say you are staying with a DSLR, and so many are adamant that you go pick up a smaller camera.

Listen, the suggestion is certainly feasible to bring up, but if the thread starter repeats back a couple of times "I don't want to do that, the bulk doesn't bother me much", then why argue?

A famous sci-fi quote comes to mind... "Your jedi mind tricks won't work on me boy". :lol:

That reminds me of a recent Arby's trip. I go to the drive thru and order my food and the drink as Mountain Dew. The guy repeats the order back to me, but says "Pepsi". I say no, "Mountain Dew" and he says ok. I get to the window, and he hands me Pepsi. I hand it back and said "I asked for Mountain Dew". He then says, "well do you want the pepsi, we are just going to toss it"... It feels like this thread. I almost actually quoted the above to him, but thought better of it. :D

So, knowing that the bulk isn't a big deal, and that the 7D is most likely the camera that will be taken along, let's try to keep with that as the requirements.

You beat me to it. It was driving me nuts and happens all the time in threads.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

pokerface
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2014 18:10 |  #50

Allez wrote in post #16701872 (external link)
Are you and your wife doing this on your own, or is this a supported ride where much of your stuff is in a vehicle?

Allez, we'll be doing it self-supported. ok that may sound like it a full on expedition but really its just riding and winging it. we'll be really slow lugging all our belongings, from our electronics, camping equipments, clothes etc so basically we'll bring everything on our own

pokerface
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2014 18:11 |  #51

DreDaze wrote in post #16702476 (external link)
i'd for sure bring the 10-22mm, and 30mm...now if i were you, i'd go for the 55-250STM, and skip the 23-29, 31-54mm range all together...however i can see others having an issue with that...so maybe the 18-250mm range of lenses instead

for a tripod, i got a mefoto daytrip tripod for christmas for my backpacking trips...haven't put it to much use yet, but it's small and tiny...they do have other styles that extend farther than the 2ft that the daytrip does, and they are still somewhat compact

go pro is way up there in our priority list. :D

pokerface
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2014 18:13 |  #52

ericcrazyman wrote in post #16702184 (external link)
Pokerface, will you be lugging most of your stuff in saddle bags? If so, I see why weight is of no worry. I once traveled 320 miles in three days with 60 lbs in saddle bags which left me able to carry a fairly heavy camera bag with no problems. I think camera backpack was 13 lbs. Two bodies long and short mounted lens with needed support stuff.

combination of saddlebags and framebags and a handlebar bag where I'll squeeze the camera with attached lens + 1 extra lens then i'll stash the other lens somewhere hence the 3 lens limit

pokerface
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2014 18:15 |  #53

Snydremark wrote in post #16702051 (external link)
Good lord, that's an ambitious trip! Good on ya, man.

Since you have the 10-22, I'm assuming a crop body. I'd pack for 3 lenses but I'm going to depart a bit from the norm and I know I might be crossing your budget up a bit, but there are reasons:
10-22, obviously, for your landscape/nightscape/w​ide angle needs.

Tamron 18-270 or newer Sigma 18-200 for your all-around shooting needs. Not going to be top of the line lenses, but TOTL lenses will weigh a ton; both should give you good enough images, are compact and light and aren't totally bank breaking if something untoward occurs.

Canon 400 f/5.6. Relatively compact and light, for your wildlife needs. On that route you ARE going to see mammals, birds and reptiles that you will want better record of than the 200mm-ish options are going to make possible

I'd also consider one of the MeFoto travel model tripods, like the Globetrotter. These should collapse small enough to either pack or strap to your frame without adding TOO much weight and you're going to have sunrise/sunset/etc shots that just won't capture as well without one.

EDIT: Saw further comment that you're thinking portraiture; Another possible loadout would be:
10-22
Sigma 18-35
55-250 STM

can my sigma 30 1.4 be a substitute to the 18-35 above?

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,931 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 19, 2014 18:22 as a reply to  @ post 16701777 |  #54

DutchinCLE wrote in post #16701544 (external link)
for travel
10-22
15-85
70-200

My suggestion also, plus polarizer, and extension tubes.. and a light travel tripod

That would be the 70-200 F4 Lis >>> option 70-300 Lis

Enjoyable and Safe Travels.

My Gear flickr (external link)

pokerface
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2014 18:25 |  #55

vengence wrote in post #16701951 (external link)
So you don't care about weight, but you care about weight. This makes your question hard to answer.

I can fit 3 pancake lenses in a single pocket or I can pick 3 lens that you can't fit in a backpack. Quantity doesn't equal bulk!

I say this all because properly defining what you want will help you get better answers. In fact, properly defining the problem often defines the solution.

Given what you've said, you're looking at the 10-22, a mid range, and a 150-600 Tamron, if you want a full range of focal length. For the mid range I'd recommend the 24-105L as it fits with your price and complements the other two lens quite well. I'm going to guess that you'll say the 150-600 is too much bulk.

Alternatively, the 15-85, and 70-300L would give you a two lens solution that is fairly light and compact. You could add a 3rd prime in a focal length of your choice based on shooting style, 35,50, 85, or 100 are all reasonably sized.

You could build around a 10-22, and 17-55 to give your self a faster zoom, but then you're limited on the long end to either a large gap to get to the 100-400L or the 150-600, or you end up with a shorter telephoto the 70-300L.

sorry vengence, what I mean by weight is that 70-200 f2.8 is twice the weight of the f4 version but from all the anecdotal infos over the net is not really twice better. wont reasonable for me lugging the heavier version then, since i'm no pro anyways. quality photos matter to me, man, but not to the point like the above. perhaps a happy medium of weight and quality. I hope that makes sense.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,487 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Joined May 2002

Feb 19, 2014 21:02 |  #56

Snydremark wrote in post #16702051 (external link)
10-22
Sigma 18-35
55-250 STM

Those 3 were my choices too, and I would throw in a pancake 40 2.8 for a general shoot what I see combo. The 40mm is so tiny, it wouldn't even be noticed in the overall kit.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,487 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Joined May 2002

Feb 19, 2014 21:05 |  #57

Charlie wrote in post #16701921 (external link)
wow, this is complete blasphemy! Traveling outdoors in the manner that TS is doing, I'de argue that the tripod would be the single most useful photography item. His 10-22 should be a clue to whether or not it's important. Bean bag helps, but not even close to the utility of a tripod.

If it was a light travel tripod, maybe. However, with the 7D's transmissive LCD and turning on the grid lines (and level indicator perhaps), I would have no issues matching horizon inside the viewfinder for landscapes. This is something those that don't shoot with either the 7D, 1DX or 5D3 would really be aware of. If the exposures are long (using NDs or night time landscapes), then yes, something to stabilize the long shot, but if shutter speeds are faster than 1/FL, then I see no need for a tripod. If I can make sure the shots are level, and I don't have to worry about camera shake, why would I need a tripod? I have both a monopod and CF tripod, and barely use them. I keep trying for various things like portraits, etc, but haven't found them useful.

Perhaps something like this?
http://www.amazon.com …/B009A17FNU/ref​=pd_cp_p_0 (external link)

You get a monopod out of the deal as well.

This one is pretty tiny, and has good reviews?
http://www.amazon.com …WM/ref=pd_sxp_g​rid_pt_2_0 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

pokerface
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 19, 2014 23:26 |  #58

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16702991 (external link)
If it was a light travel tripod, maybe. However, with the 7D's transmissive LCD and turning on the grid lines (and level indicator perhaps), I would have no issues matching horizon inside the viewfinder for landscapes. This is something those that don't shoot with either the 7D, 1DX or 5D3 would really be aware of. If the exposures are long (using NDs or night time landscapes), then yes, something to stabilize the long shot, but if shutter speeds are faster than 1/FL, then I see no need for a tripod. If I can make sure the shots are level, and I don't have to worry about camera shake, why would I need a tripod? I have both a monopod and CF tripod, and barely use them. I keep trying for various things like portraits, etc, but haven't found them useful.

Perhaps something like this?
http://www.amazon.com …/B009A17FNU/ref​=pd_cp_p_0 (external link)

You get a monopod out of the deal as well.
i h
This one is pretty tiny, and has good reviews?
http://www.amazon.com …WM/ref=pd_sxp_g​rid_pt_2_0 (external link)

I have a slik sprint pro II tripod which has the same design as the mefoto. It's not by any means the best and the lightest but close to it and very cheap. i dont want to bring an expensive tripod coz i'm sure after 6-8 months of trail and road chatter it will be pretty banged up.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,454 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 20, 2014 00:39 |  #59

pokerface wrote in post #16702559 (external link)
can my sigma 30 1.4 be a substitute to the 18-35 above?

No reason it can't; it's just that you get the other focal lengths plus wide aperture with the zoom. It *is* a bit of a heavy beast, though (the zoom)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,543 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 20, 2014 01:05 |  #60

DreDaze wrote in post #16702476 (external link)

Since you're adamant on sticking with the 7D, I'd vote the same as Andre, sounds like a solid setup.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

8,990 views & 0 likes for this thread
a year's worth of photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.