Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 26 Jun 2006 (Monday) 21:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN Powershot Speed Challenge #25 - Subject - Local History

Stefan ­ A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"
2,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 26, 2006 21:33 |  #1

Challenge #25 - Local History

Lately, I have been on a local history kick. I like to see and photograph things that were from a different historic era. Things like mills, lighthouses, old houses, etc. Other ideas could be things that represent the past, like monuments or statues. But the real challenge is that I would like to see photos from your neck of the woods. A photo that shows me a little about the history of where you live or work. In addition to the standard title and camera name, please include a bit of info about the shot and how it connects to the history of your town.

Please don't be turned off by the "local" aspect of the challenge. If you cannot come up with a good shot in your area, anything historical will do.

In addition to the standard elements of photography, I will be judging the extent to which your photo captures or represents a bygone era.

To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, July 3, 2006.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Any Canon Powershot Series Camera (SD, A-series, S1/2, & S-series only...No Pro 1's!!!)

2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.

3. Size -- Photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side and no more than 200K in size with NO BORDERS. Here is some help for resizing your photos in Photoshop -
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/...9&pos​tcount=26

4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.

5. Posting --
* ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
* Photo Name in the message subject line.
* Camera model.

6. Notes -- Name and camera you used and any other information pertaining to the photo...location, photo tips, brief EXIF data ect.

7. Commenting -- No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed, comments can be made in this thread.
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

• New Topic ... After winner is declared.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible after the contest has been closed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page). Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POTN Powershot Challenge Info & Winners List and Rankings: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php​?t=133933
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com (external link)

sponsored links
Formulated_One
227 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 29, 2006 00:29 |  #2

Title - "Independence Hall"
Camera - Canon A510 - Program Mode w/Tripod..
Post Processing - Resized, +10% Contrast..
Info - Taken in May while in Philadelphia, just before sunset..
---------------

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i46.photobucket​.com …ne/Misc%202/Ind​Hall01.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

T.G. Photography
---------------
Please Post - Comments, Critiques, Questions, or Tips..
Equipment- Canon EOS Rebel XT 350D, Standard 18-55mm Lens, 75-300mm Lens, & $20 Wal-Mart Tripod..

estrugo
153 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 29, 2006 14:48 as a reply to  @ Formulated_One's post |  #3

Monolito Bennett

Powershot S2 IS
Av Mode, 1/1600, f2.7, ISO 50
Tried to isolate the main subject from the background buildings.

This is Monolito Bennett, the biggest monolithic piece of the Tiahuanacu culture from Bolivia (9 meters tall or 29+ feet), it was discovered by William Bennett, that's the why of it's name. Is currently at the Subterranean Temple, a temple which it's main purpose was for sacrifice, that's why there are two many human heads in the walls (carved in rock). this place is in La Paz, Bolivia, surrounded by many buildings and a stadium. The Tiahuanacu culture, was the antecesor of the Inca culture.

http://i58.photobucket​.com …g253/estrugo/Mo​nolito.jpg (external link)

Emerson (Just Canon)
Digital Rebel XT | 35 mm Rebel Ti
18-55 II | 28-90 II | 100 Macro | 50 f1.8 II
Speedlite 430EX | BG-E3 | BP-220 | and everyday selling more... :(

scott1120
161 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jun 29, 2006 15:35 as a reply to  @ estrugo's post |  #4

Colonial Palace

Title: Governors Palace
Camera: S1
Info: The palace of the colonial governor of virgina at the time of Independence. This shot is from the rear.

http://i59.photobucket​.com …/scott1120/gov_​palace.jpg (external link)

Scott
Canon S1 IS

sando
Goldmember
2,868 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 30, 2006 01:09 |  #5

Title: Barracks Gate
Camera: Fujifilm s5600
Info: "The Arch is nothing more than a hint of the grandeur which once characterised this chequered building which was designed by the architect, Richard Roach Jewell. The building was completed in 1863 and was used by the Pensioner Guards (retired soldiers) until 1904. In one of those decisions which has reasonable people gasping with disbelief the barracks were demolished in 1966 to make way for the Mitchell Freeway. The Barracks Archway stands as a monument to the stupidity of politicians who refuse to heed either history or public outcry. The archway was saved only by the public fury which greeted the plan to totally destroy the building."
Settings: 2.46s | f/8.0 | iso100

http://i73.photobucket​.com …i228/sando3/DSC​F1118b.jpg (external link)

Shame I cant enter :(

- Matt

bndaidbob
174 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 30, 2006 15:01 as a reply to  @ sando's post |  #6

This is a shot taken on a recent trip to the smokey Mountains, it is of an old mill in pigonforge,Tn. it is now a resturaunt and gift shop. I took the photo wit an S2IS, Post processing was done in photoshop to make it look like a pencil sketch. EXIF: shutter speed 1/250, f-stop 2.9, metering pattern

http://i60.photobucket​.com …Cades%20Cove/e8​19bb33.jpg (external link)

Lots of Paramedic Stuff,
a few bandaids and a
XTi camera with a few lenses and a Tripod:rolleyes:

spur
391 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 30, 2006 15:09 as a reply to  @ sando's post |  #7

Mission San José

San José is one of five remaining Spanish missions in San Antonio. While not as well known as the Alamo, San José is one of the most beautiful. It has been called the “Queen of the Missions” and is now run by the National Park Service. It is an active parish of the Catholic Church and visitors are welcome to attend mass on Sundays.

The Spanish conquistadors sang the song “Do You Know the Way to San José” as they made their way north from Mexico. Every time they ran into someone they would break into song because they didn’t know the way to San José. Now if you believe that, come to San Antonio because I have five missions I can sell you real cheap.:lol: I'm sorry I couldn't help myself.

If you want to know more about Mission San José go to: http://www.nps.gov/saa​n/visit/MissionSanJose​.htm (external link)

This is a veiw of the east gate to Mission San José. I think of it as the backdoor to the mission. Not many people come for this veiw but I like it because it's not so touristy (if that's a word).

S3 IS
AV, 1/640, f/5.6, ISO: 80
Metering: spot

http://i78.photobucket​.com …r_5918/POTN/IMG​_1506C.jpg (external link)

Salsa
64 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 30, 2006 16:53 as a reply to  @ spur's post |  #8

St. Marks Church, Port Hope Ontario.

Built in 1822 this national treasure is one of Ontario's oldest wooden churches still in use. Elias Smith, the founder of Port Hope, was largely responsible for the establishment of St. Mark's and donated the land on which it was built.

St. Mark's was one of the first buildings in Ontario to be designated for architectural and historic interest under the Ontario Heritage Act of 1970.

It was also the parish church of Canada's first Canadian born Governor-General of Canada (1952-59), Vincent Massey.

In 1959 Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip were guests at the home of then Governor-General Vincent Massey. During their stay they joined the congregation in worship at St. Mark's on July 26.

After the service the Queen signed the guest book, which is still on display in the church.

Photo taken June 30 2006.

Canon S2 IS
AV mode
ISO 50
1/800
Matrix Metering
Only post processing was a teeny bit of cropping on the side and sharpening.

IMAGE: http://salsa33.smugmug.com/photos/78747484-O.jpg

Sally

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jun 30, 2006 17:46 as a reply to  @ Salsa's post |  #9

Mobile History

A95

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

This streetcar has been around! Built in 1906 for the city of Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A., after several rebuilds it was purchased in 1924 by the City of Nelson, British Columbia, Canada. It served on the streetcar system here until 1949, when the service was replaced by buses.

It was then sold for $10 to a veterinarian who converted it into a dog kennel, then later a chicken coop, a storage shed and a souvenir and crafts shop.

In 1982 it was acquired by the Nelson Electric Tramway Society, fully restored to authentic condition, and now runs along our waterfront each summer staffed by volunteer Motormen and Conductors.

The building in the background is the current home of the Nelson Rowing Club which has operated since 1898 - even longer than old Car 23.

nwyman
Cream of the Crop
5,636 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Joined Mar 2005

Jun 30, 2006 17:46 as a reply to  @ Salsa's post |  #10

The Sultana

The Sultana is a reproduction of an eighteenth century schooner. It was the brainstorm of local folks, and build locally, of local materials, to the blueprints of the original.
It is currently moored on the Chester River, in Chestertown, where it serves as a floating classroom.

S2 IS

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

EOS 6D, SX50HS, Tamron 150-600
C&C welcome and invited

dyle
109 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 30, 2006 20:56 as a reply to  @ nwyman's post |  #11

Dino Foot

Taken at the Dinosaur Footrpint Reservation at Holyoke MA, just under 20 mins. from where I live. This site is along the west bank of the Connecticut River. The CT River Valley is said to have a plethora of paleontological speciments like dinosaur footprints. Although there were supposed to be 134, it is now harder to distinguish the footprints. It was still pretty cool to walk along the path where these dinosaurs once walked more than 65 million years ago.

A610
F3.5
1/100 sec
ISO 100

PP: The photo came out a little flat so I had to do some post processing to make the foot print "pop". Some dodging/burning, curves adjustment, and sharpening.

http://i13.photobucket​.com …llenges/dinofoo​tprint.jpg (external link)

Canon A610|Lensmate 52mm|Tiffen Megaplus Teleconverter|Olympus WCON-08 Wide|Kenko thin CP
Olympus E-500|14-45mm ZD|40-150mm ZD

Gallery: http://s13.photobucket​.com/albums/a257/dyle/ (external link)

Obor
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jul 01, 2006 05:25 |  #12

St. Stephens Church

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

St.Stephens Church at the top of my street, (West Ealing, London, UK)

Camera: Canon S2 IS
Settings: 1/60sec, f/3.5, foc. length 6mm (35mm equivalent 131mm)
Metering mode: center weight
Polarizing filter, hand held

Taken in the early afternoon with a very harsh light.
No post processing except resize and little bit of sharpening

I live only 5 minutes from this church but I wasn't even sure what it's called until I looked into my local map :oops:
As it is in the middle of a residential area it took me some walking around until I found the right spot for the pic.

MINI: Fuji FinePix F402 | COMPACT: Canon S2 IS | dSLR: Nikon D50 | Gallery

b00ty
473 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 02, 2006 13:47 as a reply to  @ Obor's post |  #13

First post, I've been looking around and I love this place!
heres my attempt...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Photo Info: Sharpstein, Local elementary school newly remodeled...Oldest school in the state of Washington, built in 1898. It's quite a site nowadays!

Camera info:
Model : Canon A620
Exposure time: 1/100
Fnumber: f/4.0

-Phil McGuire
[Canon 5D Mark II & Grip][EF 24-70 f2.8 L][EF 70-200 f4 L]
[580 EX][430 EX][540 EZ][Vivitar 285HV]
[LIghtstands][Umbrella​s][CyberSync Triggers]

boomer3297
359 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 02, 2006 13:56 |  #14

Old Ardena Schoolhouse #2, Built 1855
This one room school was in use till the 1930's..now the town has 13 schools.
Canon A610
Manual Mode
1/100, F6.3
Iso 100
Slight PP: saturation and sharpening

HOSTED PHOTO

Mike Attanasio
www.AttanasioImagery.c​om (external link)

Jeff1
50 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Jul 02, 2006 14:50 |  #15

USS Alabama

The USS Alabama sustained sever damage from hurricane Katrina, taking several months to repair.

HOSTED PHOTO

Thanks
Jeff

Canon S2IS & Sony VCL-DH1758 Tele Lens

sponsored links

9,095 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN Powershot Speed Challenge #25 - Subject - Local History
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.