Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 20 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Website

ImaginePhotography
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 20, 2014 15:18 |  #1

So we had a new site built. I'm not redesigning it now that it's done, but would love to hear some thoughts overall. Does it speak to you? Does it fit our aesthetic?
www.imaginephotoaz.com (external link)
Thanks.

sponsored links
ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 20, 2014 15:59 |  #2

Tiger - It's supposed to be a slider with several images on that front page, did the front page not show several images? Or did you mean that particular image didn't resonate you?

The stars are tied into our main logo. it has a star over the i. :)

And yes, black is rich, and not exactly "wedding" but we go for a "luxury rock n roll" vibe to our work and aesthetics overall, so hopefully it does fit that. :)

Thanks for the review. At least it gets me thinking to make sure things serve some purpose.

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,067 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 20, 2014 16:04 |  #3

Hahahaaa.... I deleted my post bc I wasn't sure if you would be happy that others see my opinions about your website so I PMed you instead. Anyway, here it is again:

"Sup Jason? Just bc your asked and this is only my opinions. What do I know
I am not sure if black is a happy color for wedding as it is your main shooting focus.
I think the text is a bit small.
Why all the red stars in between text on the front page?
Front page slideshow, why included the photo of Vegas sign, I know you have better photo than that to be in front."

Yes, just that photo didn't resonate me :). Over all it look great. Good luck Bud!

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 20, 2014 18:47 |  #4

Looks good to me and I like the black.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 20, 2014 19:57 |  #5

Thanks scorpio_e

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 21, 2014 02:55 |  #6

Looks good - slider worked fine for me

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 21, 2014 09:21 |  #7

Thanks Razyl

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2014 14:26 as a reply to  @ ImaginePhotography's post |  #8

The slider works for me as well. The one thing you might consider for the homepage, is using 1 or 2 images in your text boxes. There is a lot to read down there, and if you have a second you want to emphasize, you can make it stand out using an image with some text overlay. Looks great though.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

HiepBuiPhotography
Goldmember
1,612 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 21, 2014 15:20 |  #9

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) On your Contact page, you have:

"Use the form below to tell us all about yourselves. We want to know what you had for breakfast, where you prefer to shop for clothes, your cats favorite toy, your names, email address, phone number, your wedding date, wedding venue or other photography needs.(need space here)We will get back to you within a couple of hours. You may also call us at 928.377.0751 or 928.897.4232 directly."

I'd personally lose all the "extra" fluff that you want to know about them. It might sound like you're interested or even being a little humorous, but I think it sounds too fake and no one's going to tell you what they ate for breakfast. Just my take on it. Also, the photo of the shirtless kid seems like a weird choice.

2) Text on the home page is a little small I think.
3) Your "What we do" link has A LOT of text. I'd rethink that page.
4) In your Wedding Portfolio, the 8th photo is a weird size. Not sure if that's intentional.

Hope that helps!

Hiep Bui Photography | Harrisburg Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gomar
527 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 23, 2014 10:36 |  #10

I could live without that crazy script font.
Text font is too small, web site is too busy.

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 23, 2014 14:08 |  #11

As a former software UI and UX designer and consultant, I see many issues with your website. But you said that you are not going to change anything, so I'm not sure if you even want to hear what I have to say.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2014 08:43 |  #12

Let me rephrase: I can't redesign the entire site to a new theme/concept, but I am open to have the guy make adjustments given the advice you chaps share. :)

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
8,565 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 26, 2014 13:44 |  #13

ImaginePhotography wrote in post #16715949 (external link)
Let me rephrase: I can't redesign the entire site to a new theme/concept, but I am open to have the guy make adjustments given the advice you chaps share. :)

Ok, I'll give you a couple of my opinions, which of course you are free to take or call it rubbish. haha One thing I find very troubling in web design is that many templates are designed to be pretty, but the designers aren't educated in user interface design or efficient user experience design. And then the content is provided by the website owners, who are not educated in writing for sales or marketing.

First off, in UI/UX design, you want clarity and content to reign supreme.

Your first page has just way too much content. Not only that, but the content is not essential to the visitor, and much of it is also duplicated on your site. I would get rid of that entire bottom section from About Imagine to Your Turn.

If you are unwilling to remove that section, then it should be reworked. Every box there has a pretty "read more" graphic. In this day and age, people already instinctively click or tap titles to "read more". But what you have done is used up more space with that "read more" graphic, repeated it over and over and over and over, and removed the instinctive title linking. In addition, on touch based tablets with no mouse, people instinctively tap boxes. Each entry in that section is a box, so the not only should the titles be linked to additional content, the ENTIRE BOX should be too. Otherwise, you will have frustrated tablet visitors tapping the big box and having nothing happen. Same goes for the "Latest" section, the entire box should be linked, and drop the painfully repetitive "read more" graphic.

The titles of the boxes lead to confusion too. Clicking "About Imagine" goes to the exact same page as 'Meet the Marinos", clicking "What we do" goes to the same page as clicking "The Experience", "Your Turn" is the same as clicking "Contact", "Clients Speak" is the same as clicking "Raves" etc... this is brutally inefficient, uses up unnecessary space, and completely loses CLARITY, resulting in a confused visitor who will probably get frustrated visiting the same pages multiple times. Really, you don't need TWO different ways to navigate to the various sections of your site. I *STRONGLY* suggest dropping that entire section and leaving the top navigation bar as the ONLY way to navigate the site. It will be up there all the time, and always be the same on every page.

Another thing affecting clarity is the lack of titles on your pages.
Your pages seem to be labeled with subtitles, but not actual titles. That can make a visitor second guess which page they are on and which page to navigate to next. Sure, it might seem to make common sense for you, but to a first time visitor, who DIDN'T write the content of the pages, and DOESN'T understand your personality, it is not so obvious. For example, when you click "The Experience" from the navbar, it takes you to a page titled "This ain't our first rodeo".

Now, in terms of the content and writing... There is just WAY TOO MUCH text on the website. Everything is just too long to read. I will bet that 99% of your visitors read less than 5% of the text on your website. You have like 5 seconds to catch a visitor's attention right off the homepage before they leave, and beyond that they are not gonna spend 5 minutes reading each page. More like, 20 seconds max. You gotta keep their interest up for those precious seconds. Most of what you wrote down is the kind of detail that you should be giving clients AFTER they have already put you down on their shortlist of potential hires. This kind of info should be talked about in a meeting, given in a brochure/info packet, or emailed to them later. Make all your content SIZZLE. Make them want to read more. You gotta sell the sizzle, not the steak. If you have sales and marketing experience, you'll have heard that phrase repeatedly.

For example, taken right from your website, instead of this:

Jo and Jason will capture your wedding’s most intimate and important details in stunning, vivid imagery, and provide you with an outstanding experience, and memories for you and your family for a lifetime.

They are both very experienced, having shot weddings in Las Vegas, Malibu, Santa Monica, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Lake Tahoe, Kingman, Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott, New Orleans and many destinations around the world. We are accustomed to the rigorous schedules of destination weddings, the busy Las Vegas Strip, navigating policies at restricted-access locations in many cities, and have the savvy to put it all together to provide you a luxury experience with a fun, edgy attitude.

Please keep in mind that you are investing in memories. After the last bottle of champagne has been uncorked, after the last of the cake is eaten by the guy at table seven, after the DJ plays Gangnam Style for the last time that night; as the years pass, what will remain of your wedding day are your photographs.

If you are getting married in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Diego, Lake Tahoe, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Kingman, Inland Empire, Orange County, San Francisco, Monterey, Napa, Seattle, Portland, New York City, Miami, Chicago, Hong Kong, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Macau, China, Japan, Spain, France, Italy, England, Ireland, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Australia or anywhere else, we are the wedding photographers you want!

Please email or call for information and a custom quote for all of your wedding photography needs. 928-377-0751

Try something like:

With the high international demand for our services, we are experienced to provide exceptional coverage of your exquisite event anywhere in the world. Contact us for a custom quote!

Short, quick, and full of sizzle. Who DOESN'T want such an international superstar to shoot THEIR "exquisite" wedding? Remember, you are not selling your services, you are selling an IDEAL. That's how selling is done. Don't sell steak, sell sizzle.

I used to sell educational books door to door. Hardest sales job ever, but I did very well, because I could sell an IDEAL rather than a product. What sounds better to you as a jr high kid with no real interest in books?"

"These books have over 2000 pages of guides and tips in over 30 subjects and topics to help you with your schoolwork. Is that something you'd want?"

or

"If I have something that could help you get higher marks while potentially spending less time doing homework and studying, is that something you'd want?"

Make your content sizzle, make it concise, and cut out everything else and save it for later when the couple has already expressed a sincere interest in you.

-Lloyd
The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photography (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographers (external link)
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Headshot Photographers (external link)
Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link) |Instagram (external link) | Gear

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 26, 2014 14:55 |  #14

Dude! You're hired. Love your ideas and opinions on this stuff.

One reason we have lots of text is because we've learned from many photog pros that getting people involved in your site and invested in you is a good thing. Take Crisman Studios for instance, some of the worlds best and most successful photographers, and the site is chock full of information for potential clients. We took a tip from them. I have dozens of other successful photogs doing the same thing. I guess that's why we figured it worked.

I must say, we are super busy, but i do notice from analytics that some people do click quickly off of a page full of words.

The Experience page is there to walk people through working with us, and we do that at the meeting as well. What we hoped to achieve is to weed out clients that we don't want i.e. not passionate about what we do, who we are, and the art we create. And we want our clients to show up at meetings already feeling invested in us. It was a tactic, and i'd love your further thoughts in that regard.

We wanted SEO, and that was the point of the boxes, to give text for google to see on searches.

Overall, I truly appreciate everything and I think I'll remove the boxes, make my homepage slider bigger, and roll with that.

picturecrazy wrote in post #16719647 (external link)
Ok, I'll give you a couple of my opinions, which of course you are free to take or call it rubbish. haha One thing I find very troubling in web design is that many templates are designed to be pretty, but the designers aren't educated in user interface design or efficient user experience design. And then the content is provided by the website owners, who are not educated in writing for sales or marketing.

First off, in UI/UX design, you want clarity and content to reign supreme.

Your first page has just way too much content. Not only that, but the content is not essential to the visitor, and much of it is also duplicated on your site. I would get rid of that entire bottom section from About Imagine to Your Turn.

If you are unwilling to remove that section, then it should be reworked. Every box there has a pretty "read more" graphic. In this day and age, people already instinctively click or tap titles to "read more". But what you have done is used up more space with that "read more" graphic, repeated it over and over and over and over, and removed the instinctive title linking. In addition, on touch based tablets with no mouse, people instinctively tap boxes. Each entry in that section is a box, so the not only should the titles be linked to additional content, the ENTIRE BOX should be too. Otherwise, you will have frustrated tablet visitors tapping the big box and having nothing happen. Same goes for the "Latest" section, the entire box should be linked, and drop the painfully repetitive "read more" graphic.

The titles of the boxes lead to confusion too. Clicking "About Imagine" goes to the exact same page as 'Meet the Marinos", clicking "What we do" goes to the same page as clicking "The Experience", "Your Turn" is the same as clicking "Contact", "Clients Speak" is the same as clicking "Raves" etc... this is brutally inefficient, uses up unnecessary space, and completely loses CLARITY, resulting in a confused visitor who will probably get frustrated visiting the same pages multiple times. Really, you don't need TWO different ways to navigate to the various sections of your site. I *STRONGLY* suggest dropping that entire section and leaving the top navigation bar as the ONLY way to navigate the site. It will be up there all the time, and always be the same on every page.

Another thing affecting clarity is the lack of titles on your pages.
Your pages seem to be labeled with subtitles, but not actual titles. That can make a visitor second guess which page they are on and which page to navigate to next. Sure, it might seem to make common sense for you, but to a first time visitor, who DIDN'T write the content of the pages, and DOESN'T understand your personality, it is not so obvious. For example, when you click "The Experience" from the navbar, it takes you to a page titled "This ain't our first rodeo".

Now, in terms of the content and writing... There is just WAY TOO MUCH text on the website. Everything is just too long to read. I will bet that 99% of your visitors read less than 5% of the text on your website. You have like 5 seconds to catch a visitor's attention right off the homepage before they leave, and beyond that they are not gonna spend 5 minutes reading each page. More like, 20 seconds max. You gotta keep their interest up for those precious seconds. Most of what you wrote down is the kind of detail that you should be giving clients AFTER they have already put you down on their shortlist of potential hires. This kind of info should be talked about in a meeting, given in a brochure/info packet, or emailed to them later. Make all your content SIZZLE. Make them want to read more. You gotta sell the sizzle, not the steak. If you have sales and marketing experience, you'll have heard that phrase repeatedly.

For example, taken right from your website, instead of this:

Try something like:

Short, quick, and full of sizzle. Who DOESN'T want such an international superstar to shoot THEIR "exquisite" wedding? Remember, you are not selling your services, you are selling an IDEAL. That's how selling is done. Don't sell steak, sell sizzle.

I used to sell educational books door to door. Hardest sales job ever, but I did very well, because I could sell an IDEAL rather than a product. What sounds better to you as a jr high kid with no real interest in books?"

"These books have over 2000 pages of guides and tips in over 30 subjects and topics to help you with your schoolwork. Is that something you'd want?"

or

"If I have something that could help you get higher marks while potentially spending less time doing homework and studying, is that something you'd want?"

Make your content sizzle, make it concise, and cut out everything else and save it for later when the couple has already expressed a sincere interest in you.

ImaginePhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 26, 2014 15:21 |  #15

Already implemented some of your changes. waiting to hear back from my designer so i can get the home page image taller (6x4 shape) to fill the page. left only a couple of boxes. i can also change the titles of those as they are simply graphics that i know how to upload and what not.

sponsored links

2,749 views & 0 likes for this thread
New Website
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.