Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 19:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Opinions on a good walkaround, UWA and long for travel?

stpix
222 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 21, 2014 11:29 |  #46

NWPhil wrote in post #16706573 (external link)
You are right - physically there is no hardware change whatsoever. THAT's why should be said (yy)mm efs lens is equivalent to 1.6 or1.3 X (yy)mm in FF sensor, OR the 17mm yields a field of view of +/-25mm when mounted on a body with a crop sensor.....something among these lines or similar.

The point was that a 17 mm lens, whether EF or EFS, has the same field of view when mounted on a crop body.

The difference between EF and EFS is that you generally cannot mount an EFS lenses on a FF body and if you did the image would be compromised.

7d T3i EF-S 10-22 EF-S 17-55 EF-S 18-55 EF-S 60 Macro EF-S 55-250 EF 400 mm 5.6 L EX 430
http://stpix.smugmug.c​om (external link)

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2014 13:20 as a reply to  @ stpix's post |  #47

Abu Mahendra wrote in post #16705534 (external link)
It's less obsolete than a 50D, a 600D or a 5D Mark II. And those cameras still take great pictures. You wouldn't call them obsolete, would you?

Camera bodies come and go. They are a disposable commodity! It's the lenses that matter and canon has shown very little faith in their mirrorless system. So sure the M is a nice camera body and the 11-22 is a nice lens I'm sure. But what happenes if canon gives up on their mirrorless system and a couple years from now you have an outdated camera body and a lens that doesn't fit any other EOS camera

Abu Mahendra wrote in post #16705541 (external link)
So your case hangs by a difference of $8? Wow, solid case you got there. So penny wise of you...

DXO, for one...

Nope, just proving that the M and 11-22 is not cheaper then the 10-22 as you stated. I'm sure the M is a fine camera and as a backpacker I almost bought one. But I went with the micro 4/3 system instead because I have more then 3 lenses to choose from!

But at this point though we're doing nothing more then beating a dead horse.

GoHokiesGo
783 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 21, 2014 15:11 |  #48

I've traveled pretty extensively with my 60D setup, and everything fits pretty easily into my backpack (minus the bigmos, I just bought that this week for an upcoming safari trip). With the T5i you'd have the same crop sensor field of view. These are the options that I would recommend-

Wide Angle (both excellent, I have the sigma):
    Canon 10-22
  • Sigma 10-20

Walk Around (personal preference, pick one):
  • Canon 15-85 - probably best all-in-one solution
  • one of the 17-55/50 variants (Canon, Tamron Sigma in similar focal lengths)
  • Canon 24-105L - not wide enough for most people on a crop, but I love mine. I have the UWA when I want wider and its still a very versatile lens on the crop with great quality.

Telephoto:
  • Canon 55-250 IS
  • Canon 70-200/4L - I only use my telephoto occasionally, it does well outdoors when you've got good light.

Low Light Prime:
  • Canon 35/2 IS
  • Sigma 30/1.4 - I have the original, nothing but good things to say about it. Great for food photography and walking around hand-held at night.

I only recently picked up the 24-105L because I was swapping lenses too often from wide to normal, and I plan to eventually go Full frame. Prior to that I used the 30/1.4 as my main walk-around lens since its a great all-around focal length on crop. I use wide to normal for most of my travel shots, and most of the ones I end up printing are from the 10-20. I use my 70-200 by far the least out of my kit, but its light enough to carry since I have the f/4 version.

~Jason
Canon 6D -¤- Canon 60D
Canon16-35/4LIS -¤- Canon 24-105/4LIS -¤- Canon 135/2L -¤- Canon 70-200/4L
Canon 50/1.8 STM -¤- Sigma 30/1.4 EX -¤- Samyang 14/2.8
Travel Website - Jason Peacott Photography (external link)

Xerxes
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 21, 2014 15:49 as a reply to  @ GoHokiesGo's post |  #49

After spending a few hours on amazon, almost settled. Here's what I'm thinking:

-UWA for sure. Tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22. They seem equal. Leaning towards the Tokina for the wider aperture
-The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. Spendy, but the pictures are amazing. Need the wide aperture for darkly lit forest and jungle. Maybe get a teleconverter to go with this. I'm thinking even with a teleconverter this has so much aperture you would get superior images to the 15-85 or 18-135.
-Already have a 50mm to fill this gap
-An inexpensive 70-300 either canon or sigma. Wait to get a high quality quality zoom or long prime

Does this sound good?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 21, 2014 15:52 |  #50

Xerxes wrote in post #16707228 (external link)

-UWA for sure. Tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22. They seem equal. Leaning towards the Tokina for the wider aperture
-The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. Spendy, but the pictures are amazing. Need the wide aperture for darkly lit forest and jungle. Maybe get a teleconverter to go with this. I'm thinking even with a teleconverter this has so much aperture you would get superior images to the 15-85 or 18-135.
-An inexpensive 70-300 either canon or sigma. Wait to get a high quality quality zoom or long prime

Does this sound good?

Beware the inexpensive 70-300 range. There are some truly dreadful lenses within that description. Notably the canon 75-300. The canon 55-250 is better than one would expect for a cheap lens and is often a bargain on the used market.

Xerxes
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 21, 2014 15:56 |  #51

Good point I think I will go with that instead and look for a used STM.

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,725 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 21, 2014 16:57 |  #52

gonzogolf wrote in post #16707235 (external link)
Beware the inexpensive 70-300 range. There are some truly dreadful lenses within that description. Notably the canon 75-300. The canon 55-250 is better than one would expect for a cheap lens and is often a bargain on the used market.

Im with gonzogolf. The 75-300 is crap (owned it and hated it). The 55-250 is a much better lens. The canon 70-300 IS is a good lens but I like the Tamron 70-300 VC better (both are very good)

Becareful with TC on the 18-35. TC's like the canon and sigma will not fit it due to their protruding element

Preeb
Goldmember
2,535 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 21, 2014 16:57 |  #53

Xerxes wrote in post #16707250 (external link)
Good point I think I will go with that instead and look for a used STM.

I don't know where you are located so this may not apply but Amazon has the EF-S 55-250 IS II for $216. That is a nice price for great range and image quality. The only down side is that at f4-f5.6 it is not a fast aperture lens. The STM version (same aperture range) is $250.

Rick
60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 21, 2014 18:12 |  #54

There is a 55-250 in the classifieds right now for $85. Don't think it'll be there long. - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1362035

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,023 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 21, 2014 18:13 |  #55

Tokina 11-16

How reliable is the autofocus on these? Seems I've heard bad things....

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 21, 2014 18:36 |  #56
bannedPermanent ban

gremlin75 wrote in post #16706836 (external link)
Camera bodies come and go. They are a disposable commodity! It's the lenses that matter and canon has shown very little faith in their mirrorless system. So sure the M is a nice camera body and the 11-22 is a nice lens I'm sure. But what happenes if canon gives up on their mirrorless system and a couple years from now you have an outdated camera body and a lens that doesn't fit any other EOS camera

Nope, just proving that the M and 11-22 is not cheaper then the 10-22 as you stated. I'm sure the M is a fine camera and as a backpacker I almost bought one. But I went with the micro 4/3 system instead because I have more then 3 lenses to choose from!

But at this point though we're doing nothing more then beating a dead horse.

Let me see if I get this straight. A M4/3 user is predicting doom and gloom of a Canon system based on a larger sensor. I rather think it is you and your M4/3rds who should be worried. Cellphones and compacts will eat into M4/3 from the bottom, and APS-C from the top. In five years, M4/3 mirrorless with the physical limitations of the sensor size will be a has-been system. Talk about the pot calling the tea kettle black.

In any case, the Canon M was discontinued due to the introduction of the M2, and the Canon CEO has publicly expressed the company's continued support for the system and hinted at the introduction of an M3 and more lenses. In the meantime, you have the three native lenses which are as good, if not better, than what the mirror-less competitions offers. And they are less expensive too. Why? Because Canon has economies of scales and installed capacity in spades over the competition.

Here...you might enjoy this comparison (external link) of the EF-M 11-22. You do realize that your unassailable case that hangs on $8 can go either way, right? Here, in my parish, I can get the EF-M 11-22 for $360. Toodle.

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 21, 2014 18:41 |  #57
bannedPermanent ban

KirkS518 wrote in post #16707583 (external link)
There is a 55-250 in the classifieds right now for $85. Don't think it'll be there long. - https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1362035

Which one? There are three EF-S 55-250 lenses. The one going for $85 is likely the worse of the lot, the original version.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 21, 2014 18:42 |  #58

Abu Mahendra wrote in post #16707640 (external link)
Let me see if I get this straight. A M4/3 user is predicting doom and gloom of a Canon system based on a larger sensor. I rather think it is you and your M4/3rds who should be worried. Cellphones and compacts will eat into M4/3 from the bottom, and APS-C from the top. In five years, M4/3 mirrorless with the physical limitations of the sensor size will be a has-been system. Talk about the pot calling the tea kettle black.

In any case, the Canon M was discontinued due to the introduction of the M2, and the Canon CEO has publicly expressed the company's continued support for the system and hinted at the introduction of an M3 and more lenses. In the meantime, you have the three native lenses which are as good, if not better, than what the mirror-less competitions offers. And they are less expensive too. Why? Because Canon has economies of scales and installed capacity in spades over the competition.

Here...you might enjoy this comparison (external link) of the EF-M 11-22. You do realize that your unassailable case that hangs on $8 can go either way, right? Here, in my parish, I can get the EF-M 11-22 for $360. Toodle.

Just... Stop. Please.

No one in this thread is interested in buying an EOS M just to be able to use the 11-22. The OP wanted a lens to use on his current body, not a suggestion to invest in a whole new system.

edit: should have added, you don't need to waste any of your time replying, I won't see it.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 21, 2014 18:49 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

Does this sound good?

You won't get any arguments or sour-grapes from me about the Sigma. It's is a superb lens. Here are some clinical forensic samples wide open at f/1.8 at 50% view

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

100% view
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Abu ­ Mahendra
368 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 21, 2014 18:58 |  #60
bannedPermanent ban

Sirrith wrote in post #16707653 (external link)
Just... Stop. Please.

No one in this thread is interested in buying an EOS M just to be able to use the 11-22. The OP wanted a lens to use on his current body, not a suggestion to invest in a whole new system.

If you think it is off-topic, bring it up to the attention of the moderators. Otherwise and until then, it is you who should stop, stop from attributing to yourself the role of determining what is acceptable on this thread. Ciao.

sponsored links

4,804 views & 0 likes for this thread
Opinions on a good walkaround, UWA and long for travel?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.