Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 20 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 13:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CPL effect differs on different brands?

ahmad0420
363 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 20, 2014 13:01 |  #1

I've been wanting to ask this for the longest time. Does the effect of CPL removing reflections on cars differ from brand to brand? Does B+W remove more reflection from let's say, HOYA? Or is the only difference color hue and contrast?

And does removing reflections work better on a smaller diameter lens, compared to a wider diameter lens?

Reason I'm asking this is I see some photos being able to completely remove reflections throughout the whole car, but for me, I'm using a 77mm diameter lens and the amount of reflection it remove don't even cover the entire windscreen.

Do advice.

Shade Fotoworks Automotive Photography | www.shadefotoworks.com (external link)
Sony a7R
Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS
Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss

sponsored links
jjphoto
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 21, 2014 00:17 |  #2

This isn't specific to cars but is a comparison between an expensive and cheap polarising filter, Hoya and B+W to be specific.

http://photocornucopia​.com/1018.html (external link)

When shooting cars I've used either one interchangeably and found negligible if any difference in image quality. I doubt you will find much difference between PL filters from any of the decent brand.

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

DavidN4
48 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2014 15:40 |  #3

I've used everything from 52mm to 77mm, and used multiple brands. I haven't seen a difference among the better quality brands in how much reflection they remove/address due to size of the CPL.

What does make a difference is the angle that the light is coming from in relation to the reflective surface and the camera opening. If I'm not in the correct physical location, it doesn't matter if I blend multiple shots with different CPL rotational positions - it still will have some reflections.
Sometimes you just have to move the camera, the car, or the light source around to find a spot where you can eliminate or effectively minimize the reflections.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,506 posts
Gallery: 406 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 21, 2014 15:49 |  #4

ahmad0420 wrote in post #16704418 (external link)
I've been wanting to ask this for the longest time. Does the effect of CPL removing reflections on cars differ from brand to brand? Does B+W remove more reflection from let's say, HOYA? Or is the only difference color hue and contrast?

And does removing reflections work better on a smaller diameter lens, compared to a wider diameter lens?

Reason I'm asking this is I see some photos being able to completely remove reflections throughout the whole car, but for me, I'm using a 77mm diameter lens and the amount of reflection it remove don't even cover the entire windscreen.

Do advice.

Keep in mind that a windscreen is not a flat object. The cpl filters out reflections by filtering out the light coming from a given direction. If the windscreen is curved the light on part of that may not be filtered.

Joe ­ Ravenstein
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 21, 2014 16:16 |  #5

I hate to say this but the more expensive the CPL filter the better it will manage reflections. There might be some rare exceptions but on this type of gear the more expensive the filters are the better they do their job.

Canon 60D,18-55mm,55-250mm,50mm compact macro, AF ext tubes. Sigma 8-16mm uwa, 18-250mm, 85mm F1.4, 150-500mm

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,506 posts
Gallery: 406 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 21, 2014 16:18 |  #6

Joe Ravenstein wrote in post #16707318 (external link)
I hate to say this but the more expensive the CPL filter the better it will manage reflections. There might be some rare exceptions but on this type of gear the more expensive the filters are the better they do their job.

I'd love to hear your reasoning for this? They all work the same, the higher end filters are made of clearer glass, but they still filter in the same manner.

jjphoto
187 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 21, 2014 16:24 |  #7

Joe Ravenstein wrote in post #16707318 (external link)

Show proof.

PhotoCornucopia.com (external link)

lusospeed
181 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 22, 2014 13:04 as a reply to  @ jjphoto's post |  #8

Price has no discernible impact, especially between a Hoya or B+W filter. Simply saying that the more expensive one is better by virtue of it being more expensive is unrealistic. Having said that, with regards to the original poster's question, the effectiveness of the polarizer is going to depend on a few things. The angle at which you are in relationship to the area you want polarized is perhaps the most important. Some angles you can polarize part of a car, some you can polarize the entire front or side. The other issue is the light source. Sometimes there is nothing there to polarize, or you get minimal results. My suggestion would be to just invest a few minutes before you start shooting a car and set your tripod up and shoot the car at a few different angles. This will give you the best idea as to what angle the polarizer will be the most effective.

I've also never found any issues in switching the size of a polarizer in determining its effectiveness.

http://www.lusospeed.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

2,479 views & 0 likes for this thread
CPL effect differs on different brands?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.