Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jun 2006 (Thursday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

is this ok for sensor cleaning? (ebay item)

muscleflex
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 29, 2006 14:59 |  #1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk …29994QQrdZ1QQcm​dZViewItem (external link)

i really need one to clean my dirty sensor! :(
I was gonna try a lenspen as used by CyberdyneSystems but not sure if it will work on really dirty sensor like mine...
:o

:cool:Canon 1D MK III:cool: | Canon EOS 20D | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 100-400 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm II 1.8 | Canon 580 EX II

sponsored links
RWK
207 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jun 29, 2006 15:48 |  #2

That is what I used on my XT. It works great, spendy though

Rebel T4i 18-55 IS Kit Lens :cool:
Rebel XT Kit Lens
EF-S 17-85
EF 50 1.8
EF 70-300
EF-S 18-135 STM

dsze
Goldmember
2,241 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 29, 2006 15:51 |  #3

google copperhill method. Its what I've used (in addition to the rocket blower) since my first dslr about 2.5 years ago and have never desired anything else. Works great.

-daniel
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
-Gear List-

XMX
88 posts
Joined May 2006

Jun 29, 2006 16:09 |  #4

I use those and sell alot of them. I've heard nothing but praise. Just make sure you get the right size :)

Lord_Malone
Cream of the Manpanties.....​... Inventor Great POTN Photo Book
7,686 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Jun 29, 2006 17:40 as a reply to  @ XMX's post |  #5

Try
http://www.visibledust​.com/ (external link)

~Spaceships Don't Come Equipped With Rear View Mirrors~
http://www.myspace.com​/chocolate_thai (external link)

Jamey ­ S.
358 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jun 29, 2006 18:15 |  #6

Why not just get a Blower and a lens pen and clean it? Much cheaper then any of the other solutions and works the best out of any of them, atleast for me.

"We are all just plagarists of a real artist, and her name is Mother Nature."- JKS
Gear List
My Pbase Gallery (external link)
RSD Awareness (external link)

EOS_JD
Goldmember
2,925 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jun 29, 2006 20:07 |  #7

I use the pecpads and eclipse fluids shown in your post. Very quick and easy. Takes 10 mins (when being very careful)! Usually less than 5.

All My Gear
5D MkIII & 5D MKII + Grips | 24-70 f2.8L IS | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4

Jim_T
Goldmember
3,306 posts
Joined Nov 2003

Jun 29, 2006 20:26 |  #8

I use the same setup.. Works great....

I bought a pack of a dozen of those pre-formed pads on a stick and a small bottle of eclipse fluid almost three years ago. This method is relatively expensive, but back in 2003, this was one of the very few commercial kits available for DSLR sensor cleaning. This was a relatively new frontier then because DSLR's were just starting to become popular with the masses.

I've only used six pads and about 1/4 of the eclipse fluid..... So I figure I've got at least three more years of cleaning supplies left :)

nation
906 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 30, 2006 00:48 |  #9

What you posted is essentially the tools behind the Copperhill Method. However, what you should note is that the Digi-Pads are only good for literally one swipe. Using them for more than one swipe you run the risk of running grime and grit back across your sensor. A more economical alternative is the following:

http://chili-pix.ch …e535d2c54aec1a4​c3fd9ce134 (external link)

The picture shows a spatula wrapped with a Pec-Pad. A bit pricey on their website so better to buy the pieces individually. You can get the Eclipse solution and Pec-Pads cheaply in the UK and get the sensorswipe from these guys:

http://www.naturescape​s.net …ctid=101&cat=0&​bestseller (external link)

7D and lenses.

muscleflex
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 30, 2006 07:41 |  #10

thanks all...
i thought about copperhill but they don' ship eclipse across because of restriction on alcohol content... and i couldn't find eclipse here until just now.
i might try what nation's suggested.

would the lenspen work really heavy marks on the sensor? i don't know what it is made of..but is it wet cleaning as well? i have a rocket blower!

:cool:Canon 1D MK III:cool: | Canon EOS 20D | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 100-400 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm II 1.8 | Canon 580 EX II

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 30, 2006 10:29 as a reply to  @ muscleflex's post |  #11

Thats ok.:D

Gear List

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 30, 2006 12:48 |  #12

I've been using only the lens pen for years..

When you ask "will it work on really heavy marks" I can't say foir sure.. it's wworked at everything I've used it for.. and don't see why it wouldn't.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

aericj
Goldmember
1,240 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Jun 30, 2006 14:46 |  #13

Good to hear! I did this for the first time on vacation a few weeks ago and everyone I mentioned it to reacted like I was insane. I have had the 20D for about 8 months and knew the dust was building a bit but it really started showing up in the sky on my sunrise shots over the ocean.

Seemed to work effectively and quickly to me...

Canon Ti5 w/ 18-135 IS STM, 70-300 IS, 85 1.8
Canon 20D w/ Tamron 17-50
Olympus PEN E-PL2 w/ VF-2, Panny 20, 14-42 II
Flash - 550EX, 430EX II, Vivitar 283's
Other - Bogen tripod w/ ballhead, Vivitar monopod, Kenko tubes

EOS-30Dave
42 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jul 09, 2006 22:01 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote:

When you ask "will it work on really heavy marks" I can't say foir sure.. it's wworked at everything I've used it for.. and don't see why it wouldn't.

Well after reading 4 threads on CMOS cleaning, I decided to use my LensPen. It worked great. I tried using the ear syringe several times and one speck of dust just wouldn’t go away. The LensPen took care of that.

But as soon as I can, I’m going to order the Econo 1.6x Kit with SD from VisibleDust.

DAVE
http://VandenbergWildl​ife.com (external link)
Canon EOS 30D & PowerShot SD800 IS Digital ELPH
Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM & EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 II
Tamron AF 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)

sponsored links

1,726 views & 0 likes for this thread
is this ok for sensor cleaning? (ebay item)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.