Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 18:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Colorful Desolation

Unrising ­ Muffin
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 19, 2014 18:30 |  #1

Just wondering what you guys think of this one.I walked the scene for dozen minutes until I could capture the building, the two trees and the airplane trails. Some contrast and color adjustments have been done to make it pop. I tried to go grim yet colorful.

Any and all CC are welcome!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 19, 2014 20:50 |  #2

I would have sacrificed one or both of the trees to properly capture and focus on the house as a subject. I am not convinced that capturing the sky trails was that important given the other elements in the shot. A good sky is important but sky trails as a back drop to an old house...not so much.
If you could have framed the house with one of the trees overlapping (move around to the right), this might have been a better grouping/composition.
Good snow exposure. I would like to see this lit by golden hour light...this looks to "noonish" where the sun is high.

See here for good example of what I mean
http://sun-surfer.com …-abandoned-house-672.html (external link)

phil ­ frank
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 19, 2014 22:02 |  #3

This is my first post here. I am a hobbyist, but to my eye and taste I agree with Spike44 that closer is better, framing and a different light would do wonders. I am not far from Barrie, in Muskoka, but many of these old houses in my area have fallen down although the apple trees still remain. If you could walk up this and catch a portion of the house and the sky trails that would be effective but you would lose the trees. I would be tempted to go into the house, expose for the outside with the trees and fill flash an outstanding component of the interior, although I would not recommend going upstairs. Use your wide angle zoom and see what happens.

Canon 450xsi, 1d Mark ii, 7d, 50mm 1.4, 85 1.8, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 f4 IS, 580 and 430 exii, pocket wizards, etc

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 20, 2014 02:54 |  #4

Thanks guys, I think you're right: more is less. I'm still struggling with that concept. I did capture a zoomed in version of that house and a few different angles (see below, SOOC sorry for bleak colors). Shooting from the right side of the house didn't give anything of interest, too much clutter. Front had something more interesting, but... I don't know, looks flat.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 20, 2014 07:00 |  #5

the first is best by far.

photoshop out the middle tree or crop the bottom left of the image tighter to the house and lose the third tree

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

BigAlz1
Goldmember
1,475 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 20, 2014 08:31 |  #6

Crop the first one so that your eyes dont instantly go to the white streaks in the blue sky. To much space on that side of the picture.

Eos 7D, 40D w/70-200L 2.8 IS, 50mm 1.4, Nifty Fifty II, 100MM 2.8 Macro, 18-135mm IS , Sigma 30mm 1.4 , Sigma 18-35 1.8 ART 580ex II

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 20, 2014 11:19 |  #7

Good job on the different views....the 3rd is the best view and you were able to integrate the tree very well plus the house on an angle is more interesting than the straight on in #2...but #2 is not bad:)
All you need is a lower light to pick up the snow textures ....dress warm and go back early in the morning or late afternoon....you will be amazed at the quality of the light, the shadows and the colour (blue) of the snow.
Otherwise, I would edit your scene to emphasize the sky and snow like this:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i14.photobucket​.com …63_rppwww_zpsfc​5e6b53.jpg (external link)

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 20, 2014 17:04 |  #8

Okay, for my learning's sake, let's use the first one and use a tighter crop, would this below work? Or is it still too much?

HOSTED PHOTO

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 20, 2014 17:07 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

#1 is rather a tight crop in the first place. Nevertheless, I like it very much. Sometimes less is more; but many other times less is a bore!

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Spike44
Goldmember
2,155 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 20, 2014 19:05 |  #10

Not sure how the original could be considered a tight crop....regardless, I much prefer your new version keeping one tree in view without taking away from the house...well done.
I still prefer the #3 :)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 20, 2014 19:44 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Spike44 wrote in post #16705150 (external link)
Not sure how the original could be considered a tight crop....regardless, I much prefer your new version keeping one tree in view without taking away from the house...well done.
I still prefer the #3 :)

The house and the base of the trees are too close to the edges for comfort;the debris on the left is practically touching the edge. You have to remember that it's good practice to leave some leeway for printing (yeah, I need to drill this into my head repeatedly :o).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

guzzibob
441 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 21, 2014 20:40 as a reply to  @ Unrising Muffin's post |  #12

I like your last crop, makes the house the main focal point of the picture.

bob_r
Goldmember
2,453 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 22, 2014 13:15 |  #13

I like the first shot the best, but don't care for the contrails so thought I'd see how it would look without them. What do you think?

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,486 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 22, 2014 17:03 |  #14

Unrising Muffin wrote in post #16704908 (external link)
Okay, for my learning's sake, let's use the first one and use a tighter crop, would this below work? Or is it still too much?

I think that crop nails it. House is off center but clearly the main focus of the picture, got rid of most of that sky, have the tree in there to balance it and give it a bit of a foreground. As I say in this forum every other week or so, I always consider sky to be dead space unless there is actually something going on up there - cool clouds, a sunset, a UFO, etc. So just get rid of most of it.

Flickr (external link)

Unrising ­ Muffin
THREAD ­ STARTER
133 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 23, 2014 13:46 |  #15

Thanks folks, much appreciated!

sponsored links

2,490 views & 0 likes for this thread
Colorful Desolation
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.